Project + (I think I am going to take another crack at it)

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
If for anything else a pride issue. After bombing a 390 on the last exam I am going to reuse the Cybex book. Is there any other reading material that is recommended?

This is for the 2003 version.

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    If for anything else a pride issue. After bombing a 390 on the last exam I am going to reuse the Cybex book. Is there any other reading material that is recommended?

This is for the 2003 version.

I would take the 003 exam and not the 002 exam. Supposed to be easier and you want the updated version anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Project-Study-Guide-PK0-003/dp/0470585927

Sometime soon, I'll have to do it too (for the classes in my siggie). This will be the route I have to take too.

As for pride....I failed Net+ (99 objectives). Took the 2005 objectives and passed with flying colors (after proper study and less IPX/SPX...lol).
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I would take the 003 exam and not the 002 exam. Supposed to be easier and you want the updated version anyway.

Amazon.com: CompTIA Project+ Study Guide: Exam PK0-003 (9780470585924): Kim Heldman, William Heldman: Books

Sometime soon, I'll have to do it too (for the classes in my siggie). This will be the route I have to take too.

As for pride....I failed Net+ (99 objectives). Took the 2005 objectives and passed with flying colors (after proper study and less IPX/SPX...lol).

Do you recommend that Comptia Project Study guide alone or any other supporting material?

Many thanks
    Do you recommend that Comptia Project Study guide alone or any other supporting material?

Many thanks

Aside from that guide and the CompTIA one, there really aren't many materials that I've (personally) seen that's going to help out with the PK0-003. Between your personal experience and what's discussed in the objectives, with proper study of the material (which by all accounts seem "dry"), IMHO, I don't believe you'll have problems with the new objectives.

Personally, I would use a practice exam on this one, as I've done with my other exams.

Project+ certification - Free Practice test and Guide -uCertify

I cannot say with certainty how good this one is, but it is uCertify....can't be that bad.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Many thanks

From what I have seen most folks just use the Project+ Sybex book. That is all I am using to studying for it.
    From what I have seen most folks just use the Project+ Sybex book. That is all I am using to studying for it.

Thanks for the heads up?!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the heads up?!

I've also heard of some folks using a PMP book to add more depth to their study. That might also be a good option.
    I've also heard of some folks using a PMP book to add more depth to their study. That might also be a good option.

Only reason why I brought up the older of the two exams is because I already purchased the older Sybex book a few months ago and I figured in a cost savings move just to continue on with it. I have read it several times already, I might need to read it again and do more studying.

Any recommendations on the PMP boo?
    Only reason why I brought up the older of the two exams is because I already purchased the older Sybex book a few months ago and I figured in a cost savings move just to continue on with it. I have read it several times already, I might need to read it again and do more studying.

Any recommendations on the PMP boo?

Nothing is better than the PMBOK.....(as a reference)

Amazon.com: A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge: (Pmbok Guide) (9781933890517): Project Management Institute: Books

You may want to supplement that with this though:

Amazon.com: PMP Exam Prep, Sixth Edition: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the PMP Exam (9781932735185): Rita Mulcahy, PMP: Books

IMO, if you're going to go for Project+, start with the Sybex one first (the newer one....just forgo beer for one night or something and get that...lmao). If you use that and then want PMP, then you could start with those....PMP seems similar to CISSP in that there are requirements you have to have before you take the PMP, not the materials of course (but those seems to be no brainers).

PMP is on my to do list, but I want to graduate first. :)
    Nothing is better than the PMBOK.....

Amazon.com: A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge: (Pmbok Guide) (9781933890517): Project Management Institute: Books

You may want to supplement that with this though:

Amazon.com: PMP Exam Prep, Sixth Edition: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the PMP Exam (9781932735185): Rita Mulcahy, PMP: Books

IMO, if you're going to go for Project+, start with the Sybex one first (the newer one....just forgo beer for one night or something and get that...lmao). If you use that and then want PMP, then you could start with those....PMP seems similar to CISSP in that there are requirements you have to have before you take the PMP, not the materials of course (but those seems to be no brainers).

PMP is on my to do list, but I want to graduate first. :)

Thanks for the awesome information
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□

This is the dryest, dullest, most boring thing you will ever read, and there is a good chance that you will not pass the PMP from reading the PMBOK.

This is the book that I used, but an older version. She does a good job of preparing people for the exam.

IMO this is one of the easiest cert exams there. People make way too much fuss about nothing. It's not tough; in fact it's about 1000 times easier than the OSA exam you just passed.

MS
    eMeS wrote: »
    This is the dryest, dullest, most boring thing you will ever read, and there is a good chance that you will not pass the PMP from reading the PMBOK.

From my understanding, I thought the PMBOK was the PMP Bible that you needed to have just for reference sake.

But that was why I threw that other book in there....was rated quite high on Amazon and AFAIK the latest edition.

But if/when I do seek out the PMP, I will definitely use the second book myself, with the PMBOK just to have reference.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    From my understanding, I thought the PMBOK was the PMP Bible that you needed to have just for reference sake.

I agree, it is a reference, it is however not something you would use to study for the PMP.

In fact, I'm almost certain that I recall Rita saying exactly that in the Intro of her book.

MS
    eMeS wrote: »
    I agree, it is a reference, it is however not something you would use to study for the PMP.

In fact, I'm almost certain that I recall Rita saying exactly that in the Intro of her book.

MS

Now that does make sense. I will definitely have to defer to you then.
    • Keep PMBOK on the bookshelf and reference it as needed.
    • Use Rita to pass the PMP.
    When I'm ready (read: not for a very long while) I will dig up this post.

Thanks eM.
    Vertias, MS, and ERP thanks for the heads up. I appreciate you all taking time out of yoru busy day to reply and learn me up! :)
  • mercurymercury Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great information here. Thanks for sharing!
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i may look into Project+ in 1st quarter of 2011
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark