ECSA vs GPEN

ponchovcponchovc Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
which one is better, more complete? or the one that you gonna learn more?

im a ccna and ceh and im thinking which one to take...

any thoughts or experience about both certs would be helpful...

thank you all!

Comments

• Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GPEN is an applied technology based exam and the ECSA is an analytical knowledge based test. ECSA will garner you an additional CNSS certification and it is a pre-requisite for the LPT. GPEN is a pre-requisite for the Cyber Guardian or a suppliment certification replacing a Gold paper for the GSE. The question is what do you want to do and what is your end goal?
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • ponchovcponchovc Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i wanna know experiences about these certs, thoughts, which one would be better cert, more prepared, more complete, differences between them, which one is more known, etc.

Just experiences, and then i will take a decision to take one of these certs, that fits better for me.

thanks for you answer chris
    I do not hold to this certification is better than that certification. A certification is a measurement of skill or knowledge a person holds and is certified against.

GPEN is for teaching a person how to complete penetration tests, you must also have a large amount of knowledge prior to the course in other areas.
    ECSA is for analyzing the security of a LAN, WAN or Enterprise and knowing what threats are out there and how to combat them.
    The goals of each certification are for different parts of the same job role, a Security Analyst.

Some food for thought:
    GPEN is more expensive to earn than ECSA
    GPEN costs $3,825 currently for training and $499 for the exam after training or $899 without the training
    ECSA training is $3,295 and the test is $300

On monster.com
    GPEN has 8 jobs listed specifically calling for it but 124 jobs listed for certifications from GIAC
    ECSA has 1 job listed specifically calling for it and 0 for LPT (which can earn with both your CEH and this ECSA)
    ECSA allows you to earn CNSS 4015 GPEN currently does not

Each of these certifications have their benefits to a goal. I intend to earn both for my goals (knowledge) but that is my point of view.
    Degrees:
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Chris:/* wrote: »

ECSA allows you to earn CNSS 4015 GPEN currently does not

Each of these certifications have their benefits to a goal. I intend to earn both for my goals (knowledge) but that is my point of view.

Cool information. I didn't know you could earn another cnss. That's good. I wonder if non government organizations care about it though....
    The test is 300. If you get the books along it is like 700. There are some other training options listed here:

The iLearn package includes Official Courseware, Certification Voucher & expert instructor-led training modules with streaming video presentations, practice simulators and learning supplements including the EC-Council Training Kit for an all-inclusive training program that provides the benefits of classroom training at your own pace.

The cost for the package is $1449, and if you are ready to move forward, the next step is for me to send you over our student enrollment form and once I get that back I will send you over a credit card authorization form.

Once payment is confirmed, the courseware will ship immediately and you will receive your login to the instruction with 24 hours. Thanks so much for your inquiry!

You might also be interested in the iClass | Mobile option which is the iLearn program with the added value of loading your course onto an iPod Touch a Netbook! (See total cost of each package below.)
    • 8 gig iPod Touch: $1,599
    • 32 gig iPod Touch: $1,699
    • 64 gig iPod Touch: $1,799
    • Netbook: $1,849

I am honestly not sure if I want to do it anymore. While the material looks cool, the ROI might not be there.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree about the ECSA's ROI. I think the CNSS designations of 4011 and 4013 look good enough anywhere.
    I have seen jobs that want CNSS designations with and outside the government. As you said the jobs are typically related to the government in some what though.
    Degrees:
    I agree about the ECSA's ROI. I think the CNSS designations of 4011 and 4013 look good enough anywhere.

I have 4011. You can get 4013 from a variety of certs/degrees (I plan to get it from CCSP). I think I will be ok without this one lol.