Cables

samuel235235235samuel235235235 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, im curently studying for my Network+, ive hit the cabling chapter, i was just wondering how do you guys remember all the stats about them? I'm thinking about making my own physical boards with samples of each cable with the stats next to it, hopefully this would make me remember the stats.

Its hard to explain what i was thinking of making, a board with sample of each cable and connector on with stats written next to them. So i would be looking at a decent size board with the amount of cables there are out there at the moment.

Thanks for your time :D Looking forward to seeing what you guys prefer.

Also, if you guys would like to tell me how to make a signature for my forum posts, cant find the option anywhere. Thanks.
icon_cheers.gif Keep the qualification world rocking! icon_cheers.gif
[Currently Studying : MCSA: Server 2012/MCSA: Windows 8]
[Currently Reading: ]
[Current Qualifications: MCP, MCDST, A+, Network+]

Comments

• PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    For the sig, you need 20 posts to make one, the option will appear when you get that far.

As far as cables go, flash cards are a great tool.
  • samuel235235235samuel235235235 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cheers mate, yeh i was thinking that untill i remember i struggle to remember anything that isnt physical :/ I have a problem with reading :P This is why im reading through the mike meyers book for Network+ and making notes on my tablet PC :P
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Cheers mate, yeh i was thinking that untill i remember i struggle to remember anything that isnt physical :/ I have a problem with reading :P This is why im reading through the mike meyers book for Network+ and making notes on my tablet PC :P

I didnt realize when i said you needed 20 posts you were going to spam the board just to get there...
  • samuel235235235samuel235235235 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I didnt realize when i said you needed 20 posts you were going to spam the board just to get there...

I actually have just started to join in on the chatting side of the forum, time for me to stop just reading and grabbing peoples suggestions, and start to contribute, one of the reason i came here to ask questions via the forums...
  • JPIJPI Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just group the cables like fiber seperate the E-S-L-Z R and know what the ranges are and the speeds
    Token easy, cat3
    cat 5(e),6(e,a)(maybe 7 doubt it) main differences
    don't study every single wire, connector, spec, if you know 10gbbaseE? from S? or L? you know Short 100M maybe, Long 10KM, Extended 40KM, Z 80KM
    MUlti mode short distance cheap
    single mode Dbles distance Expensive.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For the sig, you need 20 posts to make one, the option will appear when you get that far.

As far as cables go, flash cards are a great tool.

That is what I did. I made flashcards with pictures of the connectors/cables on the front, and the information on the back.
  • JEarlJEarl Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I did find the cabling the hardest part of the study process as there are so many details to remember: (type, length, bandwidth capability, etc..). The way i remembered it personally for Fiber was E=extra long (40km), L=Long, S=Short, and so forth. This helps you remember where they are in order of length, although it doesn't help you with the exact length :P

Make sure you know your OSI layers backwards and forwards though!
    + Pursuing AAS in Information Technology - 1 class left after this semester

+ CCNA by next semester
  • subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    It's been a while since I've taken the exam, but I think I made and excel sheet with the various cables, speeds, lengths, etc. I frequently use flash cards, especially for the comptia tests.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan