OffSec WiFu

treynoldstreynolds Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey

I passed my OSWP exam a few weeks ago and I think its worth 10 ICS2
points, but where does this stand in the industry today?

I took this course as I am wanting to become a certified penetration
tester, and I'm thinking of doing the Pentesting With BackTrack course
offered by Offensive Security

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Comments

• dijital1dijital1 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would highly recommend PWB. The courses from Offensive Security have been the best technical courses that I've taken to date. PWB is heavily based on "doing" vs theorizing over how something could be done.

The lab environment that comes with the course is very complete and contains a variety of machines of varying difficulty levels which will allow you to really exercise what you're learning.

Based on what you spend for what you get, there's not a better deal out there in information security for a penetration testing course. Prepare to put in a lot of work though. The course is challenging and the exam even more so.

The exam is one of the best aspects of the course. You really have to master the concepts taught in the course combined with a heavy dose of creativity to pass. Like I said, very challenging, but you will come out it with real world penetration testing skills. I hope this helps.
  • treynoldstreynolds Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks dude :D

Does the WiFu points really mean much when attempting to go for the
    CISSP?
  • dijital1dijital1 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The 2 don't really have much/anything in common. The CPE points are more gained from the course only apply towards current CISSP holders.

So if you already have your CISSP, then the CPE hours from the Wifu could be applied towards your CISSP to meet the annual CPE requirements.
    Cheers for the help :D
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It stands pretty high in the industry for penetration testing of Wireless networks. It is best to couple it with a CWNA and CWSP though so you can recommend ways to fix the problems you find. That being said it is an outstanding technical certification!
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
    Sounds like a really interesting course, but the price tag to use open source tools is a little odd. Aircrack's help pages are rather proficient to say the least to do your own research combined with wireless network books. Still hacking to obtain a cert sounds pretty fun.
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."
    The price tag is not to use the open source tools but to prove your proficiency.
    Degrees:
  • Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    The price tag is not to use the open source tools but to prove your proficiency.

That is true. Guess I'm very touchy on where I shell out my $$$ regarding certs icon_sad.gif
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."
    Match your certs to your goals and all will be golden in the end! Cheers.
    Degrees:
    I had a bit of spare cash, so I did this all off my back

My previous temp job, lost all trust in me when I told my manager I was looking to become an ethical hacker (I was told to leave that day) , so I didn't mention it at my current employer at first

But after a few beers, I told him and work will pay for all of the security certs for me, including OffSec :D
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□