Starting in Wireless Technologies

shoebotshoebot Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone, Im fairly new to TE and have got some good advice already, so thanks. Im very close to figuring out what type of path I want to go down, but just had a few questions about starting in Wireless technologies.

I have no certs yet, Im about to start Network+ and am interested in this field, so what wireless cert should I aim to start with? Am I correct is saying that I should start with CWTS, then CWNA?

Your help is appreciated :)
Thanks

Comments

• Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah you should do CWTS then CWNA. From what I have heard the Wireless theory is substantial compared to the Cisco exams. Work in parallel to the Cisco Wireless exams working up to the CWNE and the CCIE Wireless and you should be golden.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Maybe rather than focusing on a specific cert at first you should maybe look into researching the technology in general and flesh out that knowledge with specialized certs. I'm talking wikipedia high-level reviews. Typically when I'm exploring a well-documented but new-to-me technology I'll start on various wikis and just dig deeper and deeper following every link of interest. That way when you go to dig into a cert you're familiar with lots of the material and it makes more sense.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • AmcoAmco Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, at this moment, you're mostly researching what areas of networking you're interested in. It is good that you are studying CompTIA Network+. That is a good start, IMHO. Wait until you've completely read the study guide for Network+ and passed the exam. You should have a better idea of what direction you want to go. Don't think too far ahead. Just start branching out as you progress. You've already got a great starting point with Network+. Most gravitate to CCENT and then CCNA as a progression. If you are interested in wireless, CWNP certifications are great vendor neutral certifications, but you may want to use those as supplemental to a vendor certification like a Cisco track. That being said, how about the following road map?

Network+ -> CCENT -> CCNA -> CWTS / CWNA / or CCNA Wireless

By going through Network+ and CCNA, you'll have a great understanding of the fundamentals of routed and switched networking. You should have a better idea of what direction you want to go after CCNA. CCNA covers a little about wireless.
  • shoebotshoebot Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mamono wrote: »
    Well, at this moment, you're mostly researching what areas of networking you're interested in. It is good that you are studying CompTIA Network+. That is a good start, IMHO. Wait until you've completely read the study guide for Network+ and passed the exam. You should have a better idea of what direction you want to go. Don't think too far ahead. Just start branching out as you progress. You've already got a great starting point with Network+. Most gravitate to CCENT and then CCNA as a progression. If you are interested in wireless, CWNP certifications are great vendor neutral certifications, but you may want to use those as supplemental to a vendor certification like a Cisco track. That being said, how about the following road map?

Network+ -> CCENT -> CCNA -> CWTS / CWNA / or CCNA Wireless

By going through Network+ and CCNA, you'll have a great understanding of the fundamentals of routed and switched networking. You should have a better idea of what direction you want to go after CCNA. CCNA covers a little about wireless.

Thanks mamono, I'll take this approach - I best stop talking and start doing! :) thanks everyone for all the advice.
    Best of luck and make sure after you start it is something you love. No point in doing something you do not enjoy!
    Degrees:
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!

How do you feel about the exam? How do you feel about the knowledge you have gained? What resources did you use?
    Degrees:
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    Congratulations!

How do you feel about the exam? How do you feel about the knowledge you have gained? What resources did you use?

The exam was definitely hard than the Comptia exams. I didn't realize that Wireless was in its own world and I learned a lot.

I used the CBT Nugget (PW0-100), TrainSignal (PW0-104), and the Sybex book.
    I have yet to meet someone who thought the exam was easy, congrats again.
    Degrees: