Security+ Practice Test Engines

fluk3dfluk3d Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey Guys - any good suggestions for a good practice testing engine. I've used transcender in the past and they were good.

Thanks!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

Comments

• DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you answered your own question now just go get them
  • chuckleschuckles Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I preferred uCertify to Transcender. It has a lot of material in addition to the questions and has the best customize test feature of any of the others that I have tried (PrepLogic, MeasureUp, Transcender, uCertify). You can set up a test that targets your weak pionts.
  • fluk3dfluk3d Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will check out uCertify definitely looks good i'll check out the demo
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Labsim had some good questions on it, too.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • jaykoolzboyjaykoolzboy Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TBH, all you need to pass this test is Gibson's book, seriously.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    TBH, all you need to pass this test is Gibson's book, seriously.

Speaking as a Monday Morning Quarterback, you are right. However some folks, including me, feel comfortable taking practice exams before they do it for real. But in retrospect, Darril's book was definitely enough for this exam.
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Even though I am taking a class on this, and will be given a book with the class, im seriously considering getting this book, EVERYONE on these boards are raving about it, if it's that good, it's worth taking a look
  • cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    Even though I am taking a class on this, and will be given a book with the class, im seriously considering getting this book, EVERYONE on these boards are raving about it, if it's that good, it's worth taking a look

I'm reading it now and so far it's good. Clear, concise and to the point. Definitely wouldn't hurt to get it...that's for sure!
  • K_RichK_Rich Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The kindle version of Darril's book is only $10. What a steal!
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i got the comptia book for sec+ (great sleeping aid) so i got his book it seams to cover every thing well

i also use labsim for the testing stuffs
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Transcender always puts out a nice program, but I was a little disappointed with the Security+ version. It seemed to test on content that was not in Darril's book and also wasn't on the test.

But then again, I didn't find any practice questions that I liked for the test.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    i got the comptia book for sec+ (great sleeping aid) so i got his book it seams to cover every thing well

i also use labsim for the testing stuffs

i just did a labsim test it seamed a bit off it asked alot of windows based questions more so than anything covered in the books

also it had about 40 questions on crytpography and thats only 15% of the exam

so over all i guess its a crap shoot on what one ya get
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    I have been seeing a lot of mention about the Derril Gibson Sec+ book. Is there any certain reason why the Gibson is put on such a high pedestal around here? I am using the Sybex and Exam Cram, and I am kinda worndering if I read the wrong book LOL
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
    I have been seeing a lot of mention about the Derril Gibson Sec+ book. Is there any certain reason why the Gibson is put on such a high pedestal around here? I am using the Sybex and Exam Cram, and I am kinda worndering if I read the wrong book LOL

Exam Cram for ANYTHING they write is utter garbage.

Sybex is usually good, but can be a bit superfluous.

Darril just gets right to the point, and is detailed enough where you will pass. Only one DB gave him a two star rating on Amazon, and he got called out for it. Yes, he is that good. My 870 in Security+ says so. :)
    It is an easy read, teaches you what you need to know, and comes with hundreds of practice questions.

There are very few errors in the book, and any that have been found, Darril sticks them up on his website so that we can make the corrections. And for $30, the price is perfect.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that Darril is/was (I haven't seen him in a few weeks, but I'm sure he's just a busy guy) a member of this forum. He is always there for feedback. I presented to him what I thought was an error in the book, and he helped to explain why it was correct. How many other authors would take time out of their day to make sure that you understood the material?

(None that I know of)
  • Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
    Mr. Gibson had a great, easy to follow book although you should never use 1 single point of study. Try to branch out to get full exposure to all aspects of the tested domains. Study the material in the book, but don't study the practice question to death. I remember on my exam, so many topics were never addressed in the questions. Now that I think about it.... some weren't even mentioned as wrong answers LOL...
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Exam Cram for ANYTHING they write is utter garbage.

:)

Well heckkk lol ! I am already half way through it, and I really do not care to start another book givin that I have already read the Sybex book. If I would have known about Gibson I would have bought it instead of Exam Cram icon_rolleyes.gif LOL
    Well heckkk lol ! I am already half way through it, and I really do not care to start another book givin that I have already read the Sybex book. If I would have known about Gibson I would have bought it instead of Exam Cram icon_rolleyes.gif LOL

Kindle version is $10. The practice questions alone make this a great buy.
    i used his book for my only reading and passed with a 835

i did have other mats but i use mostly his book i plan to use his books when i get to microsoft classes as well

You can roll your eyes til they pop out of your sockets. icon_cool.gif LMAO. I'm just speaking from personal experience as well as voicing what other folks have said.

The Sybex book (and I did say this) was good, but it is superfluous. Darril was straight and to the point. Many people have used the Sybex guide solely and passed. The fact that you are using Exam Crap WITH Sybex should be sufficient, BUT if you were using Exam Crap solely, I would not be surprised if you either failed or barely passed.

Just stating what worked for me, that's all. Best of luck in your studies. :)
    I have to agree with Erp as their are several posts here of people using only examcram and failing. I used the Sybex and Labsim and they were sufficient. If I hadthe examcram for the Sec+ I would use it ti weight down the stack of papers on my desk.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Devilsbane wrote: »

Well I do not have a Kindle, But I think I may go ahead and grab the paper back.icon_surprised.gif
    erpadmin wrote: »
    You can roll your eyes til they pop out of your sockets. icon_cool.gif LMAO. I'm just speaking from personal experience as well as voicing what other folks have said.

noo no nothing against you. I had heard about them not being the best also. The one for the A+ did help me a lot though, but I didnt get the exam cram for Net+ because I read that it was junk.
    Well I do not have a Kindle, But I think I may go ahead and grab the paper back.icon_surprised.gif
    You can get Kindle for PC and read on your desktop or laptop. Kindle for PC is a free download

I personally prefer the paperback, just suggested the kindle assuming that you have already bought a book and would like to spend as little as possible.

And like Earweed said, you can download the kindle app for windows, iphone, droid, or the ipad. I believe they are all free.
    Devilsbane wrote: »

ahhh ha Kindle for PC app.! Now I have it on the pc
    ahhh ha Kindle for PC app.! Now I have it on the pc

*question* If I highlight or book mark something via Kindle PC APP on my work computer, and then I go home to my personal computer will my highlights and book marks be globally available to all my other devices?

Sorry for the offtopicness
    Sorry for the offtopicness

Not sure, I've never used the app.

But I know that the kindle will keep track of your page number, so when you get home it will open to the same place. I could see where it would remember highlights, but that could also be asking for too much.
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    I'm thinking I may buy the Kindle version, even though I'm a Nook fan myself. I do have Kindle for iPhone and for PC. I'm going to check the used bookstores this weekend for Darril's book, however i'm not expecting to find it honestly, and will probably end up just dropping the $10 on the kindle version.

Like Devilsbane, I know it will hold page number from device to device. If you read to a point on one device, and open it on another, it will open it to the page you left it last on THAT device, but then ASK you if you want to open to the page you last read on xyz device. Ive only done recreational reading so i cannot vouch for the markups or highlights, but if I get the kindle version i will try it and let you know.
    noo no nothing against you. I had heard about them not being the best also. The one for the A+ did help me a lot though, but I didnt get the exam cram for Net+ because I read that it was junk.

No worries my friend.

I have a regular kindle, not the PC app, but people have spoken highly about the PC app as it's a great way to get good books with dropping serious coin. (I try to get my books on my kindle device myself).

I had access to the Sybex book via Books 24x7 and the cryptography chapter did help me out a bit, but I found the author to be a bit corny when he was explaining cryptography in the beginning. I read that first, before I went to Darril and Darril just broke it down in a very lighthearted way....between that, and me flashcarding Crypto on the Transcenders I bought, it made me *get* Security+ and gave me the confidence I needed to do what I had to do.

Before I took Security+, I had always heard how difficult it was...even if you already had A+/Network+. In fact...I passed my A+ and Network+ (Network+ was a second shot, but A+ was first attempt passes), but I didn't "ace" them like I did Security+...and I took Security+ FIVE years after A+/Network+. A+/Network+ were decent scores....but not a 97% like Security+ was. I have to credit Darril with that. That's why I don't mind saying it is the best guide out there like everyone else does (and I happily include myself in that). I could have done it with Sybex, of course...but it would have felt like a book and I would have most likely skimmed most chapters and read stuff like cryptography.

With Darril's book, I actually read from chapter 1 to Chapter 10 and plus did the chapter questions. It really will stay on my Kindle for as long as I have it. :D