Just got CCNA what's the next step?

rockd24rockd24 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm sure there are a lot of similar threads like this if so I apologize. I just passed the CCNA, and really want to get a career in IT preferably in networking.

My work experience is 5 years of customer service, and 4 years of technical support. My most recent job was doing Tier 2 tech support for AT&T U-verse. So I have experience troubleshooting internet connectivity, E-mail, VoIP, and IPtv.

I wanted to know if I'd be better off getting more certifications, either CCNP, or a couple Microsoft Certs like XP, and Server 2003. Would it be likely to get any position other than Tier 1 help desk? Of course that's what I'll do if I have to, and not saying I don't want to do it, it's just I would prefer another alternative, since I've worked at call centers for the past few years.

Any advice on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd try to move up to a NOC position if you want to stay in networking. Either that or business customer network support. Getting more certifications probably isn't going to help you without directly related experience.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If your interest is networking you could probably skip the MS. Listen to what networker050184 said and after getting a network position maybe look into a higher Cisco cert. The certs at this point aren't going to be what helps you as you need to get into a network position and then determine your cert path that will help you to advance.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • rockd24rockd24 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for the advice. I think that's what I'm going to do is not worry about more certifications right now, and spend all my efforts getting an entry level NOC or network support position.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    rockd24 wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the advice. I think that's what I'm going to do is not worry about more certifications right now, and spend all my efforts getting an entry level NOC or network support position.

Good idea. That doesn't mean you should stop learning though. Grab the ROUTE or SWITCH book and continue your learning.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    rockd24 wrote: »
    I'm sure there are a lot of similar threads like this if so I apologize. I just passed the CCNA, and really want to get a career in IT preferably in networking.

My work experience is 5 years of customer service, and 4 years of technical support. My most recent job was doing Tier 2 tech support for AT&T U-verse. So I have experience troubleshooting internet connectivity, E-mail, VoIP, and IPtv.

I wanted to know if I'd be better off getting more certifications, either CCNP, or a couple Microsoft Certs like XP, and Server 2003. Would it be likely to get any position other than Tier 1 help desk? Of course that's what I'll do if I have to, and not saying I don't want to do it, it's just I would prefer another alternative, since I've worked at call centers for the past few years.

Any advice on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Your experience is useful but you need to get into the NOC space now. Moves, additions, changes is what you should aim to be doing as opposed to simply troubleshooting an infrastructure that is designed and deployed by other people.

Look to getting a start in a NOC asap and go from there.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I agree with networker050184, you should start looking for a NOC or jr network engineer position AND start looking at the CCNP, (or the CCNA specializations.) There's no need to wait for either one.

If you think you may have an interest in the Windows side of things, how about checking out the Windows 7 exam? You'll earn an MCTS certification on it, it counts towards other current Microsoft certs, and it's "small" enough that you won't have spent way too much time away from the Cisco exams if you find that you didn't enjoy it.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Use it or lose it. Time to upgrade the job and hopefully put that CCNA and/or your current experience to better use.

Same with your study skills you acquired preparing for the CCNA. You don't have to rush off to your next certification just yet -- but you may want to keep doing some "recreational reading."

If you're serious about a building a networking career, then Network Warrior is a good read. And you're going to read Doyle's Routing TCP/IP books someday -- so you may as well start on your "first read" of them now. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd try to move up to a NOC position if you want to stay in networking. Either that or business customer network support. Getting more certifications probably isn't going to help you without directly related experience.

+1

Why go through the rigors of getting the CCNA and not putting out on the job market? Instead of accruing a bunch of debt why not be satisfied with the awesome cert you just passed and see about getting into a network environment. By doing that you will learn the technologies in a real world setting. After a year or so at that position you could probably really grasp the material for the CCNP and nail the exam. I personally think you have more ROI in that method. I will say this others disagree with this strategy, but only you can make that decision.