Adding an MCSA to a CCNA

Would it be worth the effort to obtain an MCSA to go with a CCNA? I would eventually like to move into a company and move out of pure networking. The idea of not having to fool with hooking up router, switches, cabling, etc, is very appealing, and I'm familiar with Microsoft systems - but not servers and such.

Do employers look for people who have both of these certs, or do they tend to go with one or the other in whatever job roles they're trying to fill? I was also thinking of beefing up my future resume with getting an A+ and perhaps a Linux+, as I see them on job requirements quite a bit.

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    Would it be worth the effort to obtain an MCSA to go with a CCNA? I would eventually like to move into a company and move out of pure networking. The idea of not having to fool with hooking up router, switches, cabling, etc, is very appealing, and I'm familiar with Microsoft systems - but not servers and such.

Are you serious? You want to get away from pure networking? Do you really want to or is your job boring you? Because there is a huge difference. I would love to get into pure networking or pure security (or pure linux) but anyway.....
    Do employers look for people who have both of these certs, or do they tend to go with one or the other in whatever job roles they're trying to fill? I was also thinking of beefing up my future resume with getting an A+ and perhaps a Linux+, as I see them on job requirements quite a bit.

I don't think A+ is going to do much for you. Security+ might be a good one to get (if not just for the DOD requirements). Linux+/LPIC-1 might set you apart from Joe/Jane Entry Level IT Pro. MCSA/MCITP:SA would be good if you really want to get into systems support. As you get more experience you could go for MCSE/MCITP:EA and so on.
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    Are you serious? You want to get away from pure networking? Do you really want to or is your job boring you? Because there is a huge difference. I would love to get into pure networking or pure security (or pure linux) but anyway.....

I don't think A+ is going to do much for you. Security+ might be a good one to get (if not just for the DOD requirements). Linux+/LPIC-1 might set you apart from Joe/Jane Entry Level IT Pro. MCSA/MCITP:SA would be good if you really want to get into systems support. As you get more experience you could go for MCSE/MCITP:EA and so on.

As far as DOD requirements, I don't think I could get a government clearance anyway. I had a military discharge centuries ago that was just under "honorable" and I've been rejected from jobs requiring a gov't clearance as a result.

I don't know if I would want to go all the way to an MCSE, but I figured an MCSA with a CCNA would make me a well-rounded individual. And yes, I don't care for just networking; it's not my cup of tea, though I currently do this kind of work. I would much rather just manage a single site/company as an administrator, if you know what I mean. I also figured that obtaining this cert would a lot less costly than a CCNA lab, with all its routers, switches, and cabling costs.
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    I think that it would be an excellent idea. If you look at most job postings, especially for Net Admin positions, they list Cisco/MS certs together. It would make for a more rounded candidate ( for instance, my current position requires us to be Jack's of all trades) and if you want to really take that route, I would suggest getting your MCSE and/or MCITP cerrtifications. IF you plan to change environments, you shouldn't have any issues doing so.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□

I don't know if I would want to go all the way to an MCSE, but I figured an MCSA with a CCNA would make me a well-rounded individual.

I agree. It can only benefit you. A lot of smaller companies have jack of all trades admins.
  • z3pxz3px Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□

Dito. IMO, if you spend too much time having to "know everything" you yearn for the chance to specialize and become an expert in a specific principal. It all depends on what kind of position to want to have. I also think it comes down to what kind of company (specifically size) you want to work at, which would impact the need to be specialized or generalized.

Myself currently being generalized, I'm perusing the same track. Studying for my CCNA now. After that, if MCSE is still around and kicking I'll probably finish that then take the upgrade path to MC-whatever.