Anyone else studying for C|EH?

-Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
I'm in the WGU MS:ISA program and I've been studying for the C|EH test for about a month now. I've read through one book and went through the Hacking Revealed course at online expert, now I'm going through the official books now. Just wondering if anyone else is currently studying for it, and what they've been using.

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    -Foxer- wrote: »
    I'm in the WGU MS:ISA program and I've been studying for the C|EH test for about a month now. I've read through one book and went through the Hacking Revealed course at online expert, now I'm going through the official books now. Just wondering if anyone else is currently studying for it, and what they've been using.

There are a few here on TE. I would also check with the folks at EH-Net:

The Ethical Hacker Network
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have been studying for awhile now. I am about ready for the test and depending on what goes on at work will depend on when I get it.
    The books I am using are:

-CEH Official Certified Ethical Hacker Review Guide: Exam 312-50
    by Kimberly Graves
    Sybex © 2007 (238 pages) Citation
    ISBN:9780782144376

-The CEH Prep Guide: The Comprehensive Guide to Certified Ethical Hacking*
    by Ronald L. Krutz and Russell Dean Vines
    John Wiley & Sons © 2008 (738 pages) Citation
    ISBN:9780470135921

-Official Certified Ethical Hacker Review Guide*
    by Steven DeFino and Barry Kaufman
    Delmar Cengage Learning © 2009 (384 pages) Citation
    ISBN:9781435488533

-CEH® Certified Ethical Hacker Study Guide
    By: Kimberly Graves
    Publisher: Sybex
    Pub. Date: April 26, 2010
    Print ISBN: 978-0-470-52520-3

*The main ones and the ones I like the best

I have also read the majority of a lot of other stuff not directly related to CEH. For example NMAP by Gordon Lyon, Hacker's Challenge by Mike Schiffman, a lot of the Hacking Exposed books, Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit vol. 2 and a few others.

I also did most of the Skillsoft courses on CEH (very disappointing). I also went back over my TCP/IP fundamentals. A good little ****-sheet from Sans SANS: Information and Computer Security Resources
  • superman859superman859 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm working on it as well, although I just started studying official material for it. Right now I've only got one resource, which is Certified Ethical Hacker Exam Prep by Michael Gregg.

I haven't taken any practice tests, so I'm not sure how accurate the material is, but overall I think the book is decent. It's structured pretty well and offers some useful exercises, extra resources, and practice questions for each chapter.

For learning the main concepts / steps from an easy to read book, I recommend Counter Hack Reloaded. It doesn't go into tool specifics as much as the CEH book, but it covers the hacking process pretty well and is a very easy read. It isn't specific to CEH though, which is probably why we don't see so many tool references, and if I remember correctly it also assumes a fair amount of the essential security / networking knowledge rather than including it, so if you already understand firewalls and the likes then you won't have to dig through all that info to get to the stuff you really care about.

Oh, and VMWare with some various OS's of course! No point in reading about CEH if you aren't going to actually practice and do everything in a safe environment - wouldn't be the smartest idea to test it on amazon.com.
    Degrees: B.S. Computer Science, B.S. Mathematics

Certifications: Network+, Security+

In-Progress: M.S. Computer Science, CEH
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If I complete my CCNA by Nov 31st, I hope to start in December.
  • -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    Well, I've been reading the official books for a couple of weeks now. At the end of each chapter they have pages and pages of screenshots and descriptions of the different tools. How important is it to know these? Obviously some of the more well known one's I've been practicing with, but there are literally dozens of them, and for the most part I've just been glancing at them.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is this a valuable certification? I heard from a friend of mine I should definitely look into it...he said he's going after it himself.
  • krolyatkrolyat Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wastedtime wrote: »
    -CEH® Certified Ethical Hacker Study Guide
    By: Kimberly Graves
    Publisher: Sybex
    Pub. Date: April 26, 2010
    Print ISBN: 978-0-470-52520-3

I took a 5-day course with Global Knowledge earlier this year (March) and had Kimberly Graves as our instructor. She is an amazing teacher and injects real life examples in to the course. We learned a lot and everyone that I've remained in contact with have passed the C|EH. I've not actually read her book but I presume it's equally as good as the 5-day course if not better.
    (ISC)2: CISSP Comptia: A+, N+, Cloud+ Ec-Council: C|EH v6 Apple: ACSP 10.5

.:. Not your average chic .:.
  • TroccoTrocco Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Studying for this cert now. Just started about a week ago. I purchased the iLearn course and will be picking up the Official C|EH review guide, I am also using Hacking Exposed 6 as a side reference. So far so good though. Going to be a long haul, but I am hoping in 6-8 months I will be ready to tackle the exam.
  • -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    I just finished the 5 books on it, and am planning on taking it in the next two weeks or so. So far I've learned quite a bit, and found it to be pretty interesting. Although some of the stuff seemed a little dated.
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Appreciate the input krolyat, I wasn't real impress on the content of the 2007 review guide but the 2010 book seems like it contains a good amount. I will say this about the review guide though; it seems that she had a different approach of explaining stuff which was a bit less boring/easier to under stand. I will probably hit the exam this next Thursday.