Security + Question

higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
Hi all,

I am taking the Security + exam on the 22nd of this month. I been using the Comp TIA Security + Study Guide Fourth Edition (SYBEX) by Emmett Dulaney that was recommend by the Comp TIA site. I finished 6 chapters and at the end of each chapter I got a 90% on the exams that were in the book. So I decided to go on the comp TIA site and take their practice exam. After the exam I got a 73% (30 questions).

I am on schedule to finish the book by Sunday evening and after that I was going to review from Monday to Thursday. What would you guys recommend in terms of review? They have a test engine with this book so I plan on going through that but do you guys have any other ideas?

I am just a little nervous because I recently got a promotion and I need to have the security plus within 30 to 60 days of my new promotion. I start in the new position on the 25th of this month.

Comments

• miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    You seem to be cutting it a little close if you have scheduled the exam and not even finished reading the book yet.

finish the book you are currently reading ASAP. Pick up the kindle version ($9.99) of this book
    Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (Volume 0) (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books
    and download the kindle AP for you PC and read it, it is a very easy read, has a pretest, chapter tests and final test.

If you can read and UNDERSTAND and REMEMBER the information you are studying you should do fine.

It appears to me that you are more concerned with taking pretests and trying to gauge where you are in the process , instead of finishing reading the material....
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    I think Miller is referring to Darril Gibson's Get Certified Get Ahead book available on Kindle for 9.99. It is supposedly an EXCELLENT book, and with a soft cover price of almost $30, $10 for the kindle version that you can read on the Free Kindle for PC, it's worthit.

EDIT Ah there, he added the link.
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I also been studding for roughly 2 weeks taking my time reading each chapter and taking the chapter exams to understand the material. What is your guys typical practice?

I Just downloaded that book and installed the Kindle app on this MAC. After I read my first book I should just start on this book? After that I feel like I should be good to go.

Thank you for the replies. yea after I am done shopping today I will be reading the book all day. Only have 145 pages left. So its possible I will finish it today.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    higherho wrote: »
    I also been studding for roughly 2 weeks taking my time reading each chapter and taking the chapter exams to understand the material. What is your guys typical practice?

I Just downloaded that book and installed the Kindle app on this MAC. After I read my first book I should just start on this book? After that I feel like I should be good to go.

Thank you for the replies. yea after I am done shopping today I will be reading the book all day. Only have 145 pages left. So its possible I will finish it today.

If you have the DG book on Kindle, I would just go ahead and read that. The Sybex book is also good for the Security+, but I personally found it superfluous. Darril's book got it right on the money and if you read that book, do well on the chapter tests and then do the final, you should be good to go. Many people just ran through that book in 5-10 days (myself included) and passed between 790-875 (or something like that). Read past threads/posts....see for yourself why this book is THE Security+ resource.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    If you have the DG book on Kindle, I would just go ahead and read that. The Sybex book is also good for the Security+, but I personally found it superfluous. Darril's book got it right on the money and if you read that book, do well on the chapter tests and then do the final, you should be good to go. Many people just ran through that book in 5-10 days (myself included) and passed between 790-875 (or something like that). Read past threads/posts....see for yourself why this book is THE Security+ resource.

Alright I will do that. I just got back from shopping and I was reading the DG book on my Droid (lol). I then was reading chapter 7 in the Sybex book on the way home (read through 30 pages of the cryptography section).

I plan to just start reading in 20 minutes and not stop until 10:00 tonight.

Do you think I should start on the DG book at chapter 7 though 9 first then go back and review one through 6? since I already read those chapters in the sybex book?
    Alright I will do that. I just got back from shopping and I was reading the DG book on my Droid (lol). I then was reading chapter 7 in the Sybex book on the way home (read through 30 pages of the cryptography section).

I plan to just start reading in 20 minutes and not stop until 10:00 tonight.

Do you think I should start on the DG book at chapter 7 though 9 first then go back and review one through 6? since I already read those chapters in the sybex book?

This will sound crazy, but you will want to read from chapter 1 to chapter 10. The book is an easy read. (I also have it on Kindle). It won't feel like you're reading stuff you already know....that's one of the reasons people like this book....he keeps you engaged. One you're done with each chapter, do the chapter exams. If you start now, you'll be at chapter 7 by 10 tonight. (maybe even the whole book....)

Seriously, it's that good.
    This will sound crazy, but you will want to read from chapter 1 to chapter 10. The book is an easy read. (I also have it on Kindle). It won't feel like you're reading stuff you already know....that's one of the reasons people like this book....he keeps you engaged. One you're done with each chapter, do the chapter exams. If you start now, you'll be at chapter 7 by 10 tonight. (maybe even the whole book....)

Seriously, it's that good.

Well I will start now :) Reading books on a 30 inch mac screen is pretty nice lol.

I will post in 5 hours (EST).

I believe I understand the material and from what I read so far its not difficult just how they word certain things on the practice questions were a bit odd ( needed to read them more than once).

Why is the passing score an 83 and not an 80?
    So far I finished 3 chapters and I have to say this book is much different then the Sybex one. Also at the end of each chapter test so far I got

Chapter 1 - 90
    Chapter 2 - 95
    Chapter 3 - 90

The guy just tells me what I need when I compare it to the other book it just fills me with so much information my mind is about to explode.

So far I just been reading his text and going back and reading the "remember" parts. Then I take the chapter exam.
    Why is the passing score an 83 and not an 80?

Why does the Earth rotate in the direction it does, but not the other way?

Why do leopards have spots but not stripes?

Why do athletes and A list movie-stars get paid millions of dollars for the work that they do?

What do these questions have anything to do with anything?

They're non-issues....much like the cut score of the exam. All you should care about is either meeting it or exceeding it. That's it.

(Oh, and before folks get cute...those were definitely rhetorical questions....I don't care for those answers in much the same way I don't care for why the cutscore is the way it is, as it's very irrelevant to studying and passing Security+. :) )
    The guy just tells me what I need when I compare it to the other book it just fills me with so much information my mind is about to explode.

Welcome to the meaning of superfluous. :D
    Welcome to the meaning of superfluous. :D

:) I would have been taking my CCNA but the DOD requires the Security +. After this exam I will be finishing up my CCNA studies.

I feel that I am getting more out of this book than the last and feel more confident. Thanks for pointing it out to me :)
    :) I would have been taking my CCNA but the DOD requires the Security +. After this exam I will be finishing up my CCNA studies.

I feel that I am getting more out of this book than the last and feel more confident. Thanks for pointing it out to me :)

Security+ exam = a 3-5 paragraph essay

CCNA = 20 page research paper

When explained along those lines....you should be even more confident....

Now, go for your win!! icon_cool.gif
  • newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    Information is the key to life. Miller811 thanks for letting me know you can have kindle on PC.

I have been racking my brain about how expensive this DG book is in UK till I read about the kindle for PC version,I have since downloaded and bought the book.
    I hope to learn this valuable Security + and get certified before the end of this year.

Thanks to all the good people here who encourage folks one way or the other. God bless you all.
    I agree they are very helpful :)

I finished 7 chapters so far and here are my chapter scores
    1. 90
    4.84 (I read two questions incorrectly which knocked me out of the 90% bracket)

5. 86
    6. 95
    7. 90

This is a good book. I am going to recommend it to other people. The only mistakes I see myself making is not reading the question fully or just reading it once and selecting an answer which is what I did in chapter 4 /5. So I made a mental note not to do that again :P

I do have a question regarding grading. Lets say the questions ask you to choose all that apply and the answer was A and B. but you select A and C. Do they mark the whole problem wrong or give you partial credit? I'm assuming they mark it wrong.

I am going to take a little break right now and then come back and read more. I plan to review on monday through thursday and I was just going to go back and read the "Remember" parts and re take the chapter exams. I do not want to get more sources of information because sometimes having many different sources stuff might class and thats how test anxiety happens (at least from my experience).
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is no partial credit in CompTIA nor in any of the Certifications I have taken. CCNA Lab Sim questions are the only ones I have heard of giving partial credit (says so in the official study guide).
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    I agree they are very helpful :)

I finished 7 chapters so far and here are my chapter scores
    1. 90
    4.84 (I read two questions incorrectly which knocked me out of the 90% bracket)

5. 86
    6. 95
    7. 90

This is a good book. I am going to recommend it to other people. The only mistakes I see myself making is not reading the question fully or just reading it once and selecting an answer which is what I did in chapter 4 /5. So I made a mental note not to do that again :P

I do have a question regarding grading. Lets say the questions ask you to choose all that apply and the answer was A and B. but you select A and C. Do they mark the whole problem wrong or give you partial credit? I'm assuming they mark it wrong.

I am going to take a little break right now and then come back and read more. I plan to review on monday through thursday and I was just going to go back and read the "Remember" parts and re take the chapter exams. I do not want to get more sources of information because sometimes having many different sources stuff might class and thats how test anxiety happens (at least from my experience).

Sounds like you are now on the right track. icon_cheers.gif
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
    miller811 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are now on the right track. icon_cheers.gif

Just finished Chapter 8! (well finished about 10 minutes ago).

Chapter 8 score was a 94.1 (it would have been 100 but I thought I selected C when in fact I selected B on one of the questions icon_sad.gif).

On to chapter 9! So far the only chapter I would need to read the overview is Chapter 7.
    Finished Chapter 9. On the chapter exam I got a 90.9 (two wrong). The two I got wrong I was upset because I over looked "session key" when regarding SSL because SSL uses Symmetric to deal with the data and Asymmetric for the public / private keys. I only choose A and B and forgot C.

Still a fun chapter and the most interesting one I have to say.

Friday is almost here 0_0 My boss is letting me telework on Thursday so I can prepare.
    Chapter 10 is now completed. On the chapter exam I got a 93.4 (16/17). I have to say this book was an awesome read. I hope he does more books in the future that pertain to my area of IT.

it is 7:54 pm EST right now. I am planning to take a shower then review the chapter reviews for each chapter. Tomorrow at some point I will take the Final Exam. Friday at 1:00 EST is my Security + exam time!
    Chapter 10 is now completed. On the chapter exam I got a 93.4 (16/17). I have to say this book was an awesome read. I hope he does more books in the future that pertain to my area of IT.

it is 7:54 pm EST right now. I am planning to take a shower then review the chapter reviews for each chapter. Tomorrow at some point I will take the Final Exam. Friday at 1:00 EST is my Security + exam time!

So far so good. Just remember, as much as you want to, don't cram/study hard tomorrow....just do the final exam and then some real light reading afterwards.

Then make sure you have a nice cup or cups of coffee before you sit for Security+...the coffee made sure I didn't fall asleep by question 40...lol.

BEST OF LUCK!! icon_thumright.gif
    So far so good. Just remember, as much as you want to, don't cram/study hard tomorrow....just do the final exam and then some real light reading afterwards.

Then make sure you have a nice cup or cups of coffee before you sit for Security+...the coffee made sure I didn't fall asleep by question 40...lol.

BEST OF LUCK!! icon_thumright.gif

well I just took the final exam in DGs book and got 20 wrong which equals to an 80%. I am upset because over half of the ones I got wrong were simply me not reading the question correctly. Like for example coping logs onto a DVD RW. This is a no no because its rewritable and when I looked at the question I selected it because I saw DVD.

I will review what I got wrong but I must read the question and answers more than once. The others I got wrong were mainly in chapter 5 which I will look over before the exam.
    well I just took the final exam in DGs book and got 20 wrong which equals to an 80%. I am upset because over half of the ones I got wrong were simply me not reading the question correctly. Like for example coping logs onto a DVD RW. This is a no no because its rewritable and when I looked at the question I selected it because I saw DVD.

I will review what I got wrong but I must read the question and answers more than once. The others I got wrong were mainly in chapter 5 which I will look over before the exam.

It's like people think I'm joking when I spell out the word "read" when it pertains to this test.

The good news is that the real exam is a lot easier than the DG final exam. This assumes of course you "R-E-A-D" the questions and answers.

I got 90% on DG's exam. On the real thing, I got 97% (870/900 * 100).

So it looks like you'll be good to go, my friend. Just relax and sleep well tonight.
    It's like people think I'm joking when I spell out the word "read" when it pertains to this test.

The good news is that the real exam is a lot easier than the DG final exam. This assumes of course you "R-E-A-D" the questions and answers.

I got 90% on DG's exam. On the real thing, I got 97% (870/900 * 100).

So it looks like you'll be good to go, my friend. Just relax and sleep well tonight.

Thank you ER, I appreciate it :) I am going to review the final exam today and take my time tomorrow. I will have coffee in the morning thats for sure :)
    Thank you ER, I appreciate it :) I am going to review the final exam today and take my time tomorrow. I will have coffee in the morning thats for sure :)

No problem.....

(and it's ERP, as I'm an ERP administrator [hence the name....] :) )
    I will remember that. So its 9:40 EST! I am leaving around 11:30 EST to get something to eat and during that time I will boot up my droid to read some exam overviews for like chapter 7 and 5. Then I will leave the place were I will be eating at around 12:15 and get to the place at 12:30. Exam starts at 1:00!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I will remember that. So its 9:40 EST! I am leaving around 11:30 EST to get something to eat and during that time I will boot up my droid to read some exam overviews for like chapter 7 and 5. Then I will leave the place were I will be eating at around 12:15 and get to the place at 12:30. Exam starts at 1:00!!!!!!!!!!!

You got this! icon_thumright.gif Remember to take your time to R-E-A-D and use process of elimination.
  • superman859superman859 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck, and just read carefully and you will be fine!

Force yourself to re-read every question and review them at the end before submitting. Sometimes this can be hard because you are quite confident you knew most of them and only review the marked ones, but don't! Review ALL of them, simply because it will give you a second look at each question to make sure you don't make those silly mistakes that we all love to make.
    Degrees: B.S. Computer Science, B.S. Mathematics

Certifications: Network+, Security+

In-Progress: M.S. Computer Science, CEH
    Good luck, and just read carefully and you will be fine!

Force yourself to re-read every question and review them at the end before submitting. Sometimes this can be hard because you are quite confident you knew most of them and only review the marked ones, but don't! Review ALL of them, simply because it will give you a second look at each question to make sure you don't make those silly mistakes that we all love to make.

I didn't do that....but I did read a lot of the questions twice (sometimes three times). There weren't too many answers that looked like it could be this one or that one.

When I hit submit, I knew I passed, just didn't think it would be so high. (I thought it'd be a 800 or something.)

When you see your test tomorrow, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. This isn't a Microsoft or Cisco exam (believe me).

The hardest CompTIA exam (Security+) is the one I did the best at. The "easiest" like A+/Network+....no where near aced....but not borderline pass/fail either.
    I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!icon_cheers.gif I might make another thread so everyone knows :P

I got an 800 (88%). The wording on the questions were so bad. I double checked my work thats for sure.

now back to my cisco studies hehe.