Sysadmin Salary in the Bay Area

lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

since I am currently thinking about relocating from Germany to the Bay Area sometime in the next 12 to 36 months I was wondering if you could help me out with some information on sysadmin salary there. I already tried Google but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I don't want to relocate for the money but of course I want to somehow keep my standard of living, I think you understand.

I consider myself a legit Linux expert with 10 years of experience in the field and I also have some Cisco stuff down (CCNA + real world experience). Unfortunately I do not have a bachelor or master in CS and this is currently not an option for me.

Since I am currently working for a subsidiary of a big US company here in Germany I wouldn't be moving on my own but rather apply for internal jobs that show up in the mobility program. Do you think I stand a chance as foreigner ?

Any comments are appreciated icon_smile.gif
Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
Goal for 2014: RHCA
Goal for 2015: CCDP

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Salary.com Salary Wizard™- Do you know what you're worth?

I have found Salary.com to be relatively accurate for my area.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If I had to guess, maybe in the 75 - 100k range, depending on the specific skill sets that you can demonstrate (scripting languages, service configurations, database familiarity, etc.).
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks, Robert. That's a good resource that Google didn't list for me.

Looking into it for a few minutes my guesstimate would be somewhere between 80K and 90K.

So, let's take the conservative approach and calculate with 80K, how much would that net ?
    Can you make a decent living with 80K in the Bay Area ?
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's highly dependent on where you live. Although cost of living here is generally high compared to other areas of the country, the Bay Area is divided into several distinct areas...

The south bay (where the Silicon Valley is; San Jose, Santa Clara, Cupertino, Sunnyvale, etc.) is usually pricey, as is the peninsula (San Mateo, Redwood City, Palo Alto, Mountain View, etc.). The east bay is a little cheaper and still relatively close to the technology-centric areas (as long as you're around Fremont, for example). San Francisco has a lot of tech too, but cost of living can skyrocket. It's also crowded, and we have a lot of commute traffic here along 880. 101, and 237.

You can check out a Bay Area map to see where these are located.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Traffic is another thing to take into consideration. 880 and 680 are horrible anytime between 7am to 8pm. Luckily I work nights so I get to miss the traffic.
    Well, the office would be on Bush St in San Francisco so I was thinking about getting an appartment in that area (Nob Hill maybe? Is that a good place?) so I could get to work without a car.
  • SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    *gasp* docrice, you are not a real Californian! Don't you mean the 880. the 101, and the 237??

I lived in Pleasanton and still thought it was way too expensive - my salary of 86k did not go that far.

Lordy, where in Germany? I spent close to 3 yrs in Stuttgart in my early childhood and thought it was the most wonderful place in the world, ever.
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.
    @SubnettingGoddess: Stuttgart is indeed a very nice city. Been there twice. I currently live in Frankfurt where I was born and raised.

After reading through this it seems that relocating would only make sense with a six figure income ?!
  • Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @SubnettingGoddess: Only Southern CA say "the" when saying freeway names, LOL.icon_lol.gif
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on which area and experience level, but I would say I have seen anywhere from 50,000 to 80,000 to be about average. Anything above 80k tends to be pretty high level.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ooooh. I just checked out what I should be getting paid in my area and it looks like I'm REALLY underpaid...

What's the best way of approaching my boss for a pay raise?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ooooh. I just checked out what I should be getting paid in my area and it looks like I'm REALLY underpaid...

What's the best way of approaching my boss for a pay raise?

With a higher payin job in your back pocket.