Options

Planning to get ITIL certification need advice

cpluspluscplusplus Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I am planning to get itil certification, i really am confused with different types of certifications.

do i have have to finish all one by one to get to next level certifications.

I have been working in IT field as a developer for over 15 years.

Or can i go for ITIL V3 expert level, should i first clear the foundation?

Thank you all for the helpful info.

Comments

• Options
    BW81BW81 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, check the official site
    You have to take the foundation first, should you wish to take the intermediate exams you would need to complete an accredited course.

Thanks
  • Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi

BW81 has pointed you in the right direction - the main question is, what do you want from your certification?

You have to clear the Foundation to complete any further courses, but if you only need a general ITIL awareness (and something to stick on your CV) then you might not need to go any further.

You can do Foundation + 1 higher level course if you want to go into more depth in your area - for example as a developer you might be interested in Service Design.

Or - you can go for full Expert. This is a big investment in time and money though, so be clear what you're hoping to achieve by it.

Claire
  • Options
    Thank you very much for the info:

is this correct then:

I can't do ITIL Intermediate level without finishing foundation?

I can't write ITIL Expert Certificate with out finishing Intermediate?

I recently cleared PMP, have been working in the IT field for over 15 years.

Looking for certification that can improve my chances of getting a project manager job in the IT field.

Thank you all for the helpful info.
  • Options
    Hi there

You cannot attempt the Intermediate exams without completing your Foundation course. You can take a training course for Foundation level, or self study and take the exam in an examination centre.

ITIL Expert is achieved by gaining 22 credits from the Intermediate courses - you can read about the scheme in the link one of the other respondents posted in this thread. It's compulsory to attend training either online or in a classroom.

I'm not sure Expert is essential to gain a project manager job, and it depends which area of IT you want to project manage in. Maybe some research into the job market will help you identify which of the Intermediates would be of most help?

Claire
  • Options
    CLAIRE THANK'S A LOT for the helpful info.
  • Options
    You're very welcome - if you need any more info just ask and I'll help if I can. :)

Claire
  • Options
    newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    Sorry to bump this thread.

Claire,please what kind of roles can a new entrants into ITIL apply for to get his foot on the door?
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    newmove wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this thread.

Claire,please what kind of roles can a new entrants into ITIL apply for to get his foot on the door?

Passing foundation is likely to help you get a service desk job. However, it could be a requirement for many different roles.

MS
  • Options
    Hi there

MS is quite right - Service Desk is one of the best foot in the door jobs for IT - although it can be quite stressful too! A short stint on the Service Desk will give you a crash course in working in IT - systems, services, quick fixes as well as the dynamics between the teams within IT.

Other roles to watch out for are 'tech admin' type roles - running reports and carrying out admin tasks. Lower level analyst jobs too - whether it's in operations managing back up tapes or a process role such as change analyst or service level analyst.

I hope that helps, good luck with your search

Claire
  • Options
    newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    Thanks to eMes and Claire.

I have been thinking in line of configuration,incident or change analyst roles to learn the ropes for further development into managerial roles.

Based on your experience in organizations,do you ever come across rookies holding these roles? or do you think there are other yardsticks for employing people to take on jobs at this level.

Thanks.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    ...Based on your experience in organizations,do you ever come across rookies holding these roles?

Yes. It depends on the organsation and the actual job. You'll can meet everyone from the inexperienced (first job in IT) to students doing placements (undergrads/grads) to the more experienced people with X amount of years.
    ...or do you think there are other yardsticks for employing people to take on jobs at this level.

Again it depends per organisation and the level of the job. Some will require a certain level of education, some will require professional certification, some will require certain previous experience, but do not forget about the importance of your soft skills as well.

-Ken
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks to eMes and Claire.

I have been thinking in line of configuration,incident or change analyst roles to learn the ropes for further development into managerial roles.

Based on your experience in organizations,do you ever come across rookies holding these roles? or do you think there are other yardsticks for employing people to take on jobs at this level.

Thanks.

There are so many variables that go into that, that it's almost impossible to predict. I'd say I've seen just about everything imaginable in terms of what people hold which roles.

I wouldn't think that gaining any one certification (especially foundation) qualifies someone to specifically do any of those roles you mentioned...

MS
  • Options
    jins09jins09 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Claire, I would like to get an opinion from you. I have around 7 years of software development and maintenance experience, will migrate to Australia soon and now would like to switch to Human Resource management. I know that I need to take some certification for this. I was thinking of 2 options - either take a Masters in Business Administration in the HR stream or take an ITIL Intermediate course (Service Lifecycle modules) after the foundation course. So which do you think is the better option for me (I want to be able to consider my years of experience later on when I start looking for an HR Manager job), taking into considering if possible, the job prospects in Australia? Thanks a lot in advance.
  • Options
    Hi jins, I'm UK based so don't know much about the job market in Australia - although I'm sure there are some websites out there that will help. ITIL doesn't really have anything to do with HR so probably won't be the best route for your new career of choice. Perhaps there are some HR specific vocational courses you can take? I don't know if anyone else on this board knows anything about HR, or if there are other HR centric forums out there. Good luck with the country and career change!
  • Options
    jins09jins09 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ITIL doesn't really have anything to do with HR so probably won't be the best route for your new career of choice. Good luck with the country and career change!

Hi Claire,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply and for the best wishes.

Actually the reason to consider ITIL as an option is because its a certification in project management and one among the key project management knowledge areas is Human Resource Management. But I get your point - ITIL gives your more knowledge into the project as a whole and not just HR management.

Anyways, thanks a lot once again. I will search for the courses.