Hosting Services

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Hey guys,

After being burned way too many times by Intermedia my company has stopped selling their services. Most of our clients are not interested in having servers on site. So in order to keep a few customers happy we went ahead and purchased the licensing to host Exchange for these 2 maybe 3 customers and have started moving them off Intermedia.

So with that in mind, we decided to go ahead and start being a hosted Exchange company. They asked us today, since we setup two Colos to make this happen is there anything else we should consider hosting ourselves. Pretty much they want to experiment for 2011 to see if we can reduce costs.

Mind you many of our clients are SOHO and maybe a few medium sized clients.

Ultimately the hosted services will be a part of a managed service package. We will not sell hosting on it's own. You have buy our desktop, server, network and voip packages.

They asked me (God help us) to look into seeing about hosting DNS for our clients too. Currently we host with DNS made easy for our clients. But they want to eliminate that cost. It seems a few Linux machines in each colo with Bind on them would be easy enough to run.

Has anyone ever done this? Anyhow have a good guide? Whitepaper? Book they would recommend?
-Daniel

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There has been a lot of security issues that have come out in regards to bind and dnssec over the last few weeks. Is that something you guys are willing to deal with? IMO it seems like a very big but fun project for you. Are the exchanges servers going to be Virtual?
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Certainly a fun project for me, no doubt.

Yes, the Exchange servers are visualized. Any specific concerns there?
    -Daniel
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Certainly a fun project for me, no doubt.

Yes, the Exchange servers are visualized. Any specific concerns there?

No I think that would be the better way to go. At one of my old jobs we had a VDC that hosted a few dozen customers exchange servers (as well as much much more).