Options

298 or 299 first?

Does anybody have a recommendation on taking 298 or 299 first? I was going to do the 299 first since I have that book already and the 298 book I ordered is on the way.

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My plan is to do the 298 first, but thats just because I want to have the MCSE status sooner.

Ease-wise, the 299 is probably a better choice since it is in the format we all know and love. This would give you the chance to learn the material first, and then worry about the 298's format later.

You might not need to worry about the book. I think it was Dynamik who told me not even to buy the 298 book and to just use the 299 because the content for both tests is nearly identicle and the 298 book is 500 pages of bullet points. (So I bought a used copy of the 298 book so that I have it, but I'm not concerned if it isn't pristine)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    I ended up buying a Sybex 298 book since that one had better reviews and was used off Amazon. I wasn't going to bother buying one, but I figured it would help.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did 299 first, but that is because I would get MCSA: Security with one exam... and then 298 would get me one. I guess it doesn't matter.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For those that bought the 298 book, was it worth it? Would you recommend it?

I need to practice on the new format so I figure I might as well get the 298 M$ book.
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can pass both tests with the MS press 299 book. The exams are similar in content, but different in format. The 298 book does go deeper into PKI, but that's about it.
    Some people have exams in the same day.
  • Options
    DragonNOA1 wrote: »
    For those that bought the 298 book, was it worth it? Would you recommend it?

I need to practice on the new format so I figure I might as well get the 298 M$ book.

I am highly unqualified to answer this question, but I will anyway. I briefly paged through the 298 book, and just like I was told it was 500ish pages of bullet points. I have no doubt that it is all good information, but as if some technical stuff wasn't boring enough I'm concerned that this will be sleepfest. At the very least I'll page through it and skim the good parts, but rely mostly on the 299 book and the nuggets for each.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I am highly unqualified to answer this question, but I will anyway. I briefly paged through the 298 book, and just like I was told it was 500ish pages of bullet points. I have no doubt that it is all good information, but as if some technical stuff wasn't boring enough I'm concerned that this will be sleepfest. At the very least I'll page through it and skim the good parts, but rely mostly on the 299 book and the nuggets for each.

Are the practice tests with the book in the new format? That is the main thing I'm concerned about.
  • Options
    Are the practice tests with the book in the new format? That is the main thing I'm concerned about.

To my knowledge there aren't any practice tests, might be some chapter review questions or something but I'll have to check and get back to you.
  • Options
    To my knowledge there aren't any practice tests, might be some chapter review questions or something but I'll have to check and get back to you.

The Ucertify certification 70-298 practice test is in the case study format.
  • Options
    willhi1979 wrote: »
    The Ucertify certification 70-298 practice test is in the case study format.

I was referring to in the book.
  • Options
    I was referring to in the book.

Oh, ok. I just got the Sybex 298 book on Friday, and it looks like it has a mixture of normal practice questions and case study questions.
  • Options
    Anyone know if the practice tests on the CD with the Microsoft Press 298 book are in the case study format?
  • Options
    Anyone know if the practice tests on the CD with the Microsoft Press 298 book are in the case study format?

They are not.