PASSED SWITCH Exam

ciscomciscom Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Just passed the SWITCH exam today! Now I understand why most of the candidates are angry about this one. But, before I share with you this "awful" experience let me tell you what I used and how I prepared:

Foundation Learning Book
The BCMSN book fourth edition
Certification Kit (the one with guides and CCNP Video Mentor)
Cisco Site (for references)

Thanks God for giving the opportunity to get the real Gear!

My gear:

2 Catalyst 3750G (Were decommissioned from the company I work. Replaced all capacitors and revived them)
2 2950T (Ebay less than $100)
2 2621XM (bought from a friend)

My approach:

Read the entire Foundation Learning Guide (Twice)
Did all the Video Mentor LABS and some of Chris Bryant's
Used the old CCNP v5 Academy Curriculum (Great!!)
Review Chapter by Chapter and answered all questions
Used the BCMSN Book for Technical Details as this Book explained more in depth.

First Hop Redundancy LABS can be done entirely with GNS3. Unfortunate the most of the L3 Labs cannot be done. Real Hardware is the only way. But, don't get discouraged if you can't afford or have the luck as I did to get you GEAR, As stated in the Foundation Learning Book, most of everything you need to pass is on that book (Study a lot the first two chapters, BELIEVE MEEEEEEEEEE ).

As an advice for U guys, do not waste your time with ****! BELIEVE MEEEEEEEEEE.

This exam as mentioned by other candidates, instructors and forums, is more focused on your analytical skills rather than your configuration skills, but as always Cisco will test you on both.

I hope this been very Informative for you, and I'll like to thank you for viewing!

Comments

• DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well done on the pass. Once I have settled in to new job I will be going back to this (have a free voucher from CISCO).

What are the video mentor labs you talk about? I have the cert kit but to be honest I haven't gone through it much, it seemed a repeate of the ccnp BCMSN CBT nuggets.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

You've earned a weekend long Celebration!! drunken_smilie.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ciscomciscom Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Well done on the pass. Once I have settled in to new job I will be going back to this (have a free voucher from CISCO).

What are the video mentor labs you talk about? I have the cert kit but to be honest I haven't gone through it much, it seemed a repeate of the ccnp BCMSN CBT nuggets.

Hi DevilWah,

The David Hucaby CCNP video mentor for 642-813.

Hey Mike Thanks! I'm already...got a six pack of S.Adams October Fest, chips and a lot of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. It's been so much time since i last played that I suck!!
    Honestly I dont stick on an exam thread for too much time, but because this exam was a "tricky" I will be around for a couple of weeks to help you guys as much as I can.

But won't tell what is on the test.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!

icon_thumright.gif

As I'm going through the ROUTE material (figuring out IPv6 implementation at the moment), I've been doing a little research on SWITCH so that I keep up to date. Looks like it covers more ground than BCMSN did.

Anyhow, hope you celebrated your pass and with any luck the champagne cork didn't hit one of your Catalysts

drunken_smilie.gif
    Netwurk wrote: »

Looks like it covers more ground than BCMSN did.

I would say the BCMSN is more technical and this one is focused on procedures.

PD I didn't hit one of my Switches but Actually yesterday I broke one bottle of S.Adams....Full, while playing CoD.

What a waste of beer....hehehehe
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ciscom wrote: »
    I broke one bottle of S.Adams....Full, while playing CoD.

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Congrats on the pass man!!!

It was a tough one for me.

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    Congrats, and good luck with your next exam!
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    Congrats on the pass dude...
  • Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    Congrats man, I am studying for the Switch exam as well.
    Eating humble pie.
    Thanks Everyone for your comments!

You know, after a little bit of post-exam studies and reviewing what came on my exam and what is in the SWITCH Foundation Learning , I concluded that this book really lacks a lot of Vital information to pass the exam. What really helped me to nailed the Simulations were my daily experience and the Hucaby Book (BCMSN).

IP SLA, Syslog, voice and wireless Topics are resumed too much or lets say that you would not find explicit answer from questions on the exams. I didn't touched too much the Certification Guides prior the exam, and I Totally regret.

You would find better resources from these:

IP SLA - goto this link: Cisco IOS IP Service Level Agreements User Guide [IP Application Services] - Cisco Systems

VOICE and Wireless: CCNP v5 Curriculum
    SYSLOG and SNMP: CISCO IOS Cookbook 2nd Edition (O'Riley)
    Hey davidspirovalentine,

How was the Linux+ exam? I'm looking forward that one too.