1760 errors when installing cme files

I'm running c1700-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T7.bin on a cisco 1760 160 ram and 64 flash. When I do an Archive tar /xtract tftp://IP/cme-basic-4.3.0.0.tar to flash it does copy the files to flash however I get the following errors when it tries to create the directories, "gui/ (directory) 0 (bytes) -- unable to create (Invalid argument)" It does this for every directory creation. It then copies the files down okay, "extracting gui/Delete.gif (953 bytes)". In the readme file it does state older routers will not understand the newer unix file system. Is it treating the directory as part of the file name rather than a directory and is there a workaround for this or is it a non issue? I've tried googling for the answer but can't find anything which makes me think I'm missing something simple.

Thanks!

Comments

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tha_dub wrote: »
    I'm running c1700-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T7.bin on a cisco 1760 160 ram and 64 flash. When I do an Archive tar /xtract tftp://IP/cme-basic-4.3.0.0.tar to flash it does copy the files to flash however I get the following errors when it tries to create the directories, "gui/ (directory) 0 (bytes) -- unable to create (Invalid argument)" It does this for every directory creation. It then copies the files down okay, "extracting gui/Delete.gif (953 bytes)". In the readme file it does state older routers will not understand the newer unix file system. Is it treating the directory as part of the file name rather than a directory and is there a workaround for this or is it a non issue? I've tried googling for the answer but can't find anything which makes me think I'm missing something simple.

Thanks!

The 1760 is not able to make directories, which means that you are going to have an organizational problem inside your flash directory. However all of the files still work, you just need to make sure that you point to their current location, and not the location that is in the directory that failed to create.

Basically all the files got dumped into flash. Just reference them as such.

In other CME routers you are able to format the flash and get it to be able to make directories. format is not supported in the 1760 IOS I used, so I was never able to get it to make directories.

Directories are totally optional though. Before there was even an option to have directories, CME's default was to **** all the files into flash unorganized.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    Cool thanks that worked.

I extracted the tar file dumped everything into a flat directory and pushed that to my cme router and all is now good. :)

I did a reset on one of my 7941's and it was pretty much a brick until I got the router up and pushed new firmware. When I saw it downloading the actual files that was a pretty good feeling....
    tha_dub wrote: »
    Cool thanks that worked.

I extracted the tar file dumped everything into a flat directory and pushed that to my cme router and all is now good. :)

I did a reset on one of my 7941's and it was pretty much a brick until I got the router up and pushed new firmware. When I saw it downloading the actual files that was a pretty good feeling....

I screamed when i made my first phone ring.

True story.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You might run into some problems down the track, you've installed the files for CME v4.3, however the 1760's only support up to CME v4.1.
    azaghul wrote: »
    You might run into some problems down the track, you've installed the files for CME v4.3, however the 1760's only support up to CME v4.1.

I missed that little detail. Nice catch.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    chmorin wrote: »
    I screamed when i made my first phone ring.
    And we'll just leave it at that. I don't think any of us needs to know what happened when you made your first call :D
    tiersten wrote: »
    And we'll just leave it at that. I don't think any of us needs to know what happened when you made your first call :D

icon_lol.gif Ah the joys of making stuff work at odd hours of the night. Noone understands but the people on this forum.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    azaghul wrote: »

Hmmmm that is good to know... Now when anything I'm trying to do doesn't work I won't have to blame myself... I think this may actually be a feature..... ;)

Kidding aside everything has worked okay so far but I will post back if I find anything really messed up.

Thanks!