Options

Programming for Beginners

CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
Okay, as much as I love working with Networking components, I realize I don't know too much about computer themselves. I don't know what to look and shop for when building a computer expect for the basics. Anyways, I was always curious with programming, but I have no idea where to really start. I know there are different languages for certain programs, but I want to learn the basics of software engineering and programming. What would be a good resource to look into and a good language to start with?? I always heard C+ is more user friendly, another thing does HTML count as software as well??

Sorry for my terminology, I more familiar with Networking then I am with Hardware and Software terms. Thank you for your time and help. icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    CCNTrainee wrote: »
    I always heard C+ is more user friendly
    Uhh... Compared to what? I've worked as a programmer before and do know C++ but I wouldn't call it particularly user friendly. Its better than say assembler but there are also many other languages which are significantly more user friendly. Look into languages like Python, Ruby, Perl or PHP if you want user friendly with a large number of built in functions and optional libraries.
    another thing does HTML count as software as well??
    If you're talking pure HTML then I don't count it as pure HTML is just a markup language and not a programming language. If you're including Java, Javascript and whatever you write the backend in then sure.

If you're going to be doing Windows administration then I recommend that you learn PowerShell. UNIX administrators should know Perl or Python depending on what is available on their systems.

IOS has actually got a scripting engine built into it and it uses Tcl.
  • Options
    CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    Well I just kinda of pulled C++ out of my head, since it is pretty much the Language I do see whenever I go book shopping. It was also the Language used when I was big on Emulators and ROMS back in my High school days, and frankly that is all I know about C++. Lol

As you can see I truly don't know where to start, you just threw in a bunch of Languages that i have heard for the first time. How dose a mark-up language differ from a programmable one. Thanks for the reference of the other languages, i'll take a look at them.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    How dose a mark-up language differ from a programmable one.
    Markup language.

The BB Code tags that this forum supports would be a markup language. It just describes the data.

If you put "HTML programmer" on your CV/resume, you're not going to get favourable responses from most real programmers...
  • Options
    infoman66infoman66 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think it is java a good basis for learning ...
    After that you can easily switch to another language (c, php etc) ...
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    infoman66 wrote: »
    I think it is java a good basis for learning ...
    After that you can easily switch to another language (c, php etc) ...

for me, c was a better start. c isnt object oriented so going from oo to non oo might be an interesting step. c set the stage for the oo items. c++ -> .net/java/etc makes more sense to me.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!