Cisco ASA5510

notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
Quick question guys, I'm pretty light on the ASA's as I haven't had much hands on with them. I plan on getting a 5505 off eBay shortly once I do a little due diligence.

I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer.

Once someone connects to an ASA with their VPN client. How does one be able to access devices by device name and not just IP address? Is there some kind of netbios/DNS over VPN setting that needs to be checked off? How do you allow the device names to be sent over the VPN?

Thanks!

Comments

• QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    The VPN address pool will given an IP address to the incoming host and the DHCP server providing the IP address will provide DNS information to allow name lookup once inside the internal network.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    QHalo wrote: »
    The VPN address pool will given an IP address to the incoming host and the DHCP server providing the IP address will provide DNS information to allow name lookup once inside the internal network.

Thanks, that makes sense. I'll have to check if the DHCP server is giving out DNS info. It could be that it's just giving out the IP address and nothing else.