CPE / Online Pen Testing Classes

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
Ok, So I have passed the test and become endorsed, my ultimate goal is to become really good at Pen testing and possibly pursue it one day full time. I need to get CPE's anyway to maintain my cert and I want to get good at pen testing.

So my question is what are my best options for online classes to learn pen testing?

I have so far checked out Heorot.net and wanted to know if anyone could provide feedback for me on these courses? They seem kind of pricey for what is listed in the outline for course one. I have downloaded their free live-cds to use as pentesting targets, also have BackTrack4 and Metasploitable.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    Network or application pen testing? The OSCP cert is good for testing your ability to gain shell access on a remote box via vulnerabilities in its network services and apps.
  • Xargon61Xargon61 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been doing this class for about two months now:

Hacking Dojo

Check it out, it has been quite a good learning experience for me. The same guy who runs Heorot.net, Tom Wilhelm, teaches this class.
  • xxxdddxxxddd Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I will go for OSCP Cert some day, which qualifies you for 40 ISC2 CPE Creditsicon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm bored out of my mind so i'm about to do the ePPT course. The OSCP really went up in price.
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just bought eLearn Security a few weeks ago. I haven't gotten really deep into it yet, but on the surface it looks really awesome.
    :study:
  • slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Network or application pen testing? The OSCP cert is good for testing your ability to gain shell access on a remote box via vulnerabilities in its network services and apps.

Yea, Im really leaning towards them because of the CPE's, also I like the idea that they put out live cd's that boot vulnerable targets.

I will do a little more searching but I would like to find a course that has a large network environemnt lab, with servers, routers switches, IDS etc.

Edit: Jd, have you taken the OSCP courses?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    slinuxuzer wrote: »
    Yea, Im really leaning towards them because of the CPE's, also I like the idea that they put out live cd's that boot vulnerable targets.
    You can claim CPEs for most anything that's technical training. Take a programming class at a local community college and claim the units as CPEs

slinuxuzer wrote: »
    Edit: Jd, have you taken the OSCP courses?
    Yeah, here's the thread about my attending it: http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/50001-oscp.html#post378074