WGU vs McGill

AdalbertAdalbert Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'd like some opinions/suggestions on what should I do. I'm debating between signing up for WGU or local University.

First some Background about me:
- 24 yrs old
- High School Diploma
- No college education
- Currently enrolled in a cert preparation course (CCNA, Linux+, Microsoft(server2008,Win7,AD,Exchange)
- Working as Jr. Sysadmin/PHP Programmer/IT Support for a call center

Below are the 2 options I am considering:

WGU: Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (~4yrs)
McGill: Certificate in Systems Analysis and Design (~2yrs)

WGU Pros:
- Actual bachelor

WGU Cons:
- Online degree from a different country (I'm from Canada) How will it be recognized here?

McGill Pros:
- Excellent reputation

McGill Cons:
- Not a bachelor's degree (I don't have any post-highschool math/science to pursue one there, and even if I did they don't offer evenings/weekends courses)

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Thanks You

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't know how companies in Canada recognize US degrees but WGU is regionally accreditted (there are national accredidations but regional, for some reason, is more widely accepted) and that should be a plus in WGUs favor. Also if you work on some certs before starting WGU you can knock out some of your classes in advance.
    If you work really hard at it you can get your degree done in way less than 4 years. Look around the forums here as a lot of people have done 30, 40, even 50 CUs in a term. The 4 years is based on doing 12 CUs per term. WGU may end up costiing you less in the long run.
    There are several people on TE who are from Canada and pursuing a degree at WGU.
    I've heard of McGill and it is well known but how much will a certificate help your career as opposed to a Bachelors Degree?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    earweed wrote: »
    . . .
    I've heard of McGill and it is well known but how much will a certificate help your career as opposed to a Bachelors Degree?

+1 to all that.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I hope some of your Canadian brethren chime in, but if you were to pursue a WGU BS, I am sure that it is going to fly the same way the US recognizes a BS (BSc) from other countries (and Canada... icon_razz.gif )

It'd be no different then if you were to go to school in Michigan, NY, or any other state that borders Canada. (Other than a different regional accredited body, but a US degree is a US degree).

If I were you, if you're going to do the program that gets you those certs, I would finish that up, and then you can jump into IT:Security, where you will already have a CCNA (though you'd have the get the CCNA:Security as well).
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you already have experience, I would suggest and recommend WGU. Like you said, it is an actual BS Degree vs a certificate. I went to a vocational school and got a certificate from the local college but it was mainly because I had no experience and wanted some type of educational background in the field. Now I am doing WGU and am pretty impressed with them.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mcgill is a top school and #1 or #2 in canada depending on who you ask. I don't know enough about WGU to tell you anything.

I would rather a degree than a cert. The cert really doesn't count for anything in canada and i'm not sure why they would even offer it as opposed to a diploma. If you're planning on continuing it to a diploma or degree at mcgill then I would definately pick mcgill over WGU. There are plenty of mcgill grads all across the world the degree is very internationally recognized. As for you being in montreal I'm surprised you'd even bother with anywhere else if you plan on staying there mcgill rules quebec.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    I don't know how companies in Canada recognize US degrees but WGU is regionally accredited (there are national accreditations but regional, for some reason, is more widely accepted) and that should be a plus in WGUs favor. Also if you work on some certs before starting WGU you can knock out some of your classes in advance.
    If you work really hard at it you can get your degree done in way less than 4 years. Look around the forums here as a lot of people have done 30, 40, even 50 CUs in a term. The 4 years is based on doing 12 CUs per term. WGU may end up costing you less in the long run.
    There are several people on TE who are from Canada and pursuing a degree at WGU.

As well as nationally accredited...