Starting my Project+ Prep

davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi People,

I am taking a break from my MCSA to study for and pass the Project+.

I am using this book to study:

Amazon.com: CompTIA Project+ Study Guide: Exam PK0-003 (9780470585924): Kim Heldman, William Heldman: Books

It will be my primary resource, but please feel free to let me know if I need to supplement it with other resources that you found useful.

My experience in project management... I have headed a few (say 3 to 4) major projects here at work and assisted with a few others, and have just recently 'inherited' one of the biggest projects I've ever been given.

I was thinking I would do my Project+ exam late December or early January next year (if anyone thinks this time frame is too soon then let me know okay :))

Please, Tell me what you think.

Regards,
David
Failure is a stepping stone to success...

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's gonna depend on how quickly you go through the material. You probably won't find the material "dry" though, since a lot of the terminology you are already familiar with. (scope, scope creep, statement of work, go-live, etc.) I plan on taking the exam myself around March-April (depending on how my studies go...), so I would really like to know how the Sybex guide helps you out. I have been involved with a good number of PeopleSoft "projects" using a PM methodology the last 7 years. I do look forward to taking this exam and will also look forward to hear how you progress.
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Sybex book was my only resource for this exam. It's a very good book. You'll be fine.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since you already PM experience, you'll do fine. The content is very straight forward, and easy to pick up.

The book is a great resource!!!!!! I'm a little biased though, I was one of Editors.....
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    erpadmin- Thanks for that, I will definitely let you know how the prep goes and give you a review of the Sybex guide once I'm done with it! It shouldn't take me that long to go through the material, once I get interested in something, nothing can get me off track...nothing...lol!!!

Alif_Sadida_Ekin- Yeah, I heard the Sybex was a really good resource for this one. I've been fishing around in the Project+ section of the techexams forum for a while now just to see what everyone used and how much it helped them. The Sybex comes up on top above the rest.

steve13ad- That is AWESOME!!! It's amazing the type of people you meet on the techexams forums! That is sweet! As mentioned above, a lot of people found this one to be the best resource! Congrats btw.

Thanks guys!!!

Note: As for time frames, exam is booked for Dec 20th... how do you all feel about that? I feel confident that I can prepare well enough before then to pass on the 20th, please share your views. I am not easily offended and I take everything in my stride so if you have anything to say, I won't take it the wrong way. :)

Regards,
    David
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i just passed this one, it was more of a pain inthe butt than i expected.

the sybex book is best, being at wgu i had some extras that others may not have like skill port slides and books 24/7, those really helpped me
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    Note: As for time frames, exam is booked for Dec 20th... how do you all feel about that? I feel confident that I can prepare well enough before then to pass on the 20th, please share your views. I am not easily offended and I take everything in my stride so if you have anything to say, I won't take it the wrong way. :)

If you think you'll only need a month, then shoot, why not? I would probably get a practice exam like from uCertify to give you an idea of what you're weak on. I plan on doing that in a couple of months when I have to take it for WGU.

Start reading and best of luck! :)
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How are your studies coming so far? How are you liking the Sybex book? How are you liking the content? :p
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
    How are your studies coming so far? How are you liking the Sybex book? How are you liking the content? :p

I am loving it!!! Everything just makes sense some way or the other. Can't wait to get to Chapter 9 though...

How long did it take you?

Regards,
    David
    I am loving it!!! Everything just makes sense some way or the other. Can't wait to get to Chapter 9 though...

When you're done reading the book, just book for the exam and go back to the chapter summaries and exam essentials. You should be able to pass the exam on the first try. It ended up not being as hard as I thought, though I didn't knock it out of the park. You will probably have a similar (if not better) experience than I did.
    I sure hope I pass on my first try :)

Thanks for the tips, will surely adhere to them as soon as I finish reading the text. In addition to the hard copy I put the pdf copy on my iPad so I can read it wherever I go... Can't keep my hands off it!

I guess its because, up until now the projects that I've been apart of have been more ad hoc with no structure at all... It'll be good to do things properly once I get the cert on my belt.

Regards,
    David