CCNA Lab: Required Interfaces?

sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
Hello all. I am trying to figure out what WIC interfaces I need for my CCNA lab. I have searched other threads and the FAQ, and I cant really find the exact thing I am looking for. I do not want to go buying interfaces all willy crazy.

Currently I have 2-2600 routers 1-1721 Router 2-2950 switches.

All my routers only have Ethernet interfaces. I figure for some labs I will need serial links?

I am to the point to where I do not want to buy any more hardware devices, but if needed I will pick a couple of interfaces, but I do not know which ones I need.

I have looked through my CCNA books, but I cant decipher what I need in terms of interfaces by looking at the labs ( still a newb in that respect ).

I do not plan to do all my labs on hardware, for the ones that require more hardware than what I own Packet Tracer will be sufficient, but if most of the labs require interfaces I do not have but I need, I will go ahead and buy them.

My question is, what interfaces will I need, and how many of each? and anything else you guys can think of.

Thanks in adv. - Shane
Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security

Comments

• wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    I would get a WIC-2T for each of the routers. This will allow you to create a full mesh with your routers and can play with load balancing etc...Not sure about the 1721, I've never seen one so dont know if they are compatible.

Check out the link below:

Understanding 2-Port Serial WAN Interface Card (WIC-2T) - Cisco Systems
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□

Currently I have 2-2600 routers 1-1721 Router 2-2950 switches.

All my routers only have Ethernet interfaces. I figure for some labs I will need serial links?

I have 2600 routers and 2950 switches as well. I only use fractional T1 DSU/CSU WIC to set up back-to-back serial with T1 crossover cable which use RJ-48 connectors. Here's more information on it.

However, in Odom's book, it mentioned other type of serial cable (one cable is DCE and the other cable is DTE) as well that I don't have in my home lab, but my school lab has those. I don't think you need to worry about that since T1 cable are easy to manage, and you would appreciate how convenience it is to lab it. But you must understand how clock rate works when using DCE/DTU serial cables.

And... 1721 routers also use the same T1 DSU/CSU WIC.
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    Thanks for the replies

Sooo

@Wbosher you say go with Serial cards.

@Hiddenknight you say go with the T1 DSU cards.

one of my routers came with a T1 DSU card so if I went that rout I would just have to buy another T1/DSU, and I could do the Serial Interface stuff with a sim.

Nonetheless, I would like to get the interface(DSU or Serial) cards that most labs use, and save the labs that use the uncommon interfaces for the Sim. Thats what I am trying to get at.

Basically trying to save money*

Thanks again.
    In a lot of the study material that I've come across, the topology that they seem to use a lot with routers, is a three router full mesh. That is, imagine a triangle of three routers.

In order to do this you will need two serial interfaces per router. Either two WIC-1T cards or one WIC-2T, the latter is probably cheaper.

You can get very cheap knock off WIC cards these days, not good for production network, but great for home lab.
    wbosher wrote: »
    In a lot of the study material that I've come across, the topology that they seem to use a lot with routers, is a three router full mesh. That is, imagine a triangle of three routers.

In order to do this you will need two serial interfaces per router. Either two WIC-1T cards or one WIC-2T, the latter is probably cheaper.

You can get very cheap knock off WIC cards these days, not good for production network, but great for home lab.

Those knock off 2T WIC`s are cheap compared to the real deal, but adding up 3 of them is going to be close to $100.00, and that is not including the needed cables.

The hardware lab is not that much of a demand to me. My goal with the hard lab is just to get some hands on, without spending a bunch.

The DSU/T1 route sounds more like a plan at this point given your previous information. I can get another DSU card for cheap, and I can make a rj-48 cable.

I can save the Serial triangle for Packet Tracer.

If you do not mind telling - can I expect to do many labs with the DSU setup? I would hate to spend much on the DSU setup for just 1-2 labs.

Thank you very much for your help. icon_thumright.gif
  • m.ouamerm.ouamer Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you do not mind telling - can I expect to do many labs with the DSU setup? I would hate to spend much on the DSU setup for just 1-2 labs.

Thank you very much for your help. icon_thumright.gif

Try GNS3 to practice PPP, HDLC, and Frame Relay. You can also connect you routers to GNS3.
  • ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    I have a questions about this; I know that you can connect the Routers using the CSU/DSU cards, but when doing this method, how do you create a topology/mesh network?

I too see the master router connected to the tiered down routers in the lab workbooks connected via the Serial Interface(s).

I personally have the WIC-2A/S cards installed in my routers (some with (2) WIC-2A/S's to give me 4 ports) I also put the WIC-T1 DSC/CSU cards in as a lot of the routers I have bought had them already.

I found the WIC-2A/S's to be a little cheaper then the WIC-2T's, I am guessing cause they are a little slower, but I cant see that mattering for my uses

Are you putting more then one DSU/CSU in the router? Or can you just not do all the things that you can do with the Serial WICs?
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
    ZeroHunter wrote: »
    Are you putting more then one DSU/CSU in the router? Or can you just not do all the things that you can do with the Serial WICs?

Thats exactly my next question.

If I could get away with creating this triangle with Fastethernet interfaces I would, for I have plenty of them. I watched a few of my Lab videos, and nothing is really mandating one must use a serial interface or a DSU T1 interfaces. From what I could tell, as along as the Interface can have an IP assigned to it it was just fair game. I could be completely wrong.

If I could get away with creating this triangle with Fastethernet interfaces I would, for I have plenty of them. I watched a few of my Lab videos, and nothing is really mandating one must use a serial interface or a DSU T1 interfaces. From what I could tell, as along as the Interface can have an IP assigned to it it was just fair game. I could be completely wrong.

You can get away with creating a triangle using all the FastEthernet interface and have pinging successful, but however, you will not be able to see how serial works. Serial interface use different layer-2 protocol in its framing process. By default, Cisco router use HDLC, which is a proprietary protocol. You can use other protocols such as PPP (point-to-point) by using the encapsulation ppp interface subcommand. Both serial interfaces connected to each other must agree on same protocol or otherwise one of the interface will be in an Up/Down state.

Typically, in our labs routers are connected with other routers using serial cables. FastEthernet interfaces are "reserved" for LAN, and should be used to connect to switches.

To create a triangle topology, you must have three routers with two serial interface each (may it be T1 DSU/CSU WIC) or one WIC with 2 serial ports such as 2T DSU/CSU. Triangle topology helps you understand how redundancy works and how routers its next path depending on what routing protocol is in place. Let's say one of the serial link fails, the router still have a path to reach the furthest router by two hops.
    You can get away with creating a triangle using all the FastEthernet interface and have pinging successful, but however, you will not be able to see how serial works. Serial interface use different layer-2 protocol in its framing process. By default, Cisco router use HDLC, which is a proprietary protocol. You can use other protocols such as PPP (point-to-point) by using the encapsulation ppp interface subcommand. Both serial interfaces connected to each other must agree on same protocol or otherwise one of the interface will be in an Up/Down state.

Typically, in our labs routers are connected with other routers using serial cables. FastEthernet interfaces are "reserved" for LAN, and should be used to connect to switches.

To create a triangle topology, you must have three routers with two serial interface each (may it be T1 DSU/CSU WIC) or one WIC with 2 serial ports such as 2T DSU/CSU. Triangle topology helps you understand how redundancy works and how routers its next path depending on what routing protocol is in place. Let's say one of the serial link fails, the router still have a path to reach the furthest router by two hops.

Thanks for the info. I will go with the T1 DSU/SCU setup wics over the serial setup, for they are cheaper.

And I may even just stick to Packet Tracer for the Triangle serial labs, for I will have to buy 6 Wics in order to make this happen.

Thanks again.
    I am probably going to buy this lot of DSU cards here Lot of 5 WIC-1DSU-T1 CISCO DSU CSU WIC T1 100+ N STOCK - eBay (item 350416986682 end time Dec-02-10 12:38:12 PST)

and I am guessing I will connect everything up with cross over cables?

I hate I am having to ask all these newb questions, but I just cant find the answers out there that I am looking for. It seems like everything I want to know is assumed I know it.
    I hate I am having to ask all these newb questions, but I just cant find the answers out there that I am looking for. It seems like everything I want to know is assumed I know it.

We all started out asking newb questions, it's the only way you learn. Everyone here is more than happy to help. :)
    I am probably going to buy this lot of DSU cards here Lot of 5 WIC-1DSU-T1 CISCO DSU CSU WIC T1 100+ N STOCK - eBay (item 350416986682 end time Dec-02-10 12:38:12 PST)

and I am guessing I will connect everything up with cross over cables?

Hey man. That's okay. I was once a noob like you were, and to be honest, I'm still one too, but I can definitely help you here.

What you found on ebay is not bad at all. I mean... if that's the cheapest you can find, then you're good to go.

There is one thing I need to point out. You can't just use the standard crossover cable. You're suppose to use a T1 crossover cable. Since you will be connecting a router to another router, you must have a crossover, right? So a crossover will be needed. The T1 cable use an RJ-48 connector, which is basically the same as RJ-45 connector, but not all 8 pins will be used. Only 4 pins will be used. Most people here makes their own T1 cable.

Here's more detail of a T1 crossover cable. And here's how to make a T1 crossover cable using standard UTP cables. All you have to do is snip off the unused pins. I hope it helps, but to be honest, I never make my own T1 crossover, but I plan to make one soon when I add two more WICs to my lab. I would have to use the school lab equipment to make one icon_lol.gif
    Hey man. That's okay. I was once a noob like you were, and to be honest, I'm still one too, but I can definitely help you here.

What you found on ebay is not bad at all. I mean... if that's the cheapest you can find, then you're good to go.

There is one thing I need to point out. You can't just use the standard crossover cable. You're suppose to use a T1 crossover cable. Since you will be connecting a router to another router, you must have a crossover, right? So a crossover will be needed. The T1 cable use an RJ-48 connector, which is basically the same as RJ-45 connector, but not all 8 pins will be used. Only 4 pins will be used. Most people here makes their own T1 cable.

Here's more detail of a T1 crossover cable. And here's how to make a T1 crossover cable using standard UTP cables. All you have to do is snip off the unused pins. I hope it helps, but to be honest, I never make my own T1 crossover, but I plan to make one soon when I add two more WICs to my lab. I would have to use the school lab equipment to make one icon_lol.gif

Thanks for the info - yes after further reading other day I understood that I had to use these T1 xovers, I went ahead and made 5 of them, and I am now waiting on the CSU DSU cards to arrive.