Shaving Before an Interview

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
What is everyone's opinion on shaving prior to an interview? Usually I always have and I have heard that it is preferred that you shave. Right now I have a heard (well maintained, not a ZZ Top beard or anything) and I'd like to keep it. Thanks in advance!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As long as it's well trimmed and full then keep it. If I could grow a decent beard I'd keep mine but all I can grow is a goatee and that doesn't cut it IMHO.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As long as you're groomed then it's all good. Most company dress codes i've seen just ask that it's well groomed.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • hustlin_moe20hustlin_moe20 Member Posts: 225
    I shave my face and make sure my hair is cut really nice when I go to an interview. On top of that, I make sure my nails are well groomed. Believe it or not, hiring managers look, especially the female ones!
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think you can only have a beard if you are a Unix engineer. Just be sure to wear the matching pants suspenders.

You want to keep it? Dude, it'll grow back. Why take any chances at an interview if you have doubts?
  • billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    I think you can only have a beard if you are a Unix engineer. Just be sure to wear the matching pants suspenders.

So true.
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »

You want to keep it? Dude, it'll grow back. Why take any chances at an interview if you have doubts?

Lolol, why is this so true? icon_lol.gif
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a goatee that I keep trimmed and have not had any problems or comments about it.

I have shaved it in the past and find that I am very self conscious about a major change in my appearance for a few days after. Not sure that I would want to go into an interview with that kind of feeling.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    Lolol, why is this so true? icon_lol.gif

It's like the Masonic hand shakes for them, instead of the handshakes though, the beard has to contain a certain amount of food items and the pants must display a regulation quota of crack.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LOL thanks for the advice guys. True I can grow it back so I will probably just shave it if/when that time comes. I find network engineer have beards as well, I hear you can't setup a VLAN without one.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I would swear I'm worth another 20k/year with my beard.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    billyr wrote: »
    It's like the Masonic hand shakes for them, instead of the handshakes though, the beard has to contain a certain amount of food items and the pants must display a regulation quota of crack.

Well....guess I can never be a Unix admin then...

I grow patches and my 'stache does not connect. I have no choice but to shave and look like a 20 year old ... icon_sad.gif

In regards to facial hair for an interview, if you're looking like some dude that's hiding in a cave, then yes you have to shave or at a minimum keep it neat and trimmed. If that's not possible, then shaving is a must.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm a clean cut kind of guy so I always shave before an interview. My wife has a background in recruiting and in the past, she mentioned numerous times how candidates lost out on jobs because they were not well groomed or dressed properly. If you have a beard, it shouldn't be a problem but make sure it is trimmed and groomed nicely. If you are really unsure, shave it and let it grow back. :)
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    If your face reddens easily, if you get razor burn on your neck, or you get in grown hairs, shave the night before. A little stubble is fine (some women even like it icon_smile.gif) and its better than having welts across your face and neck.

If you can swing it, get a haircut the week before, mens hair looks best at about that time. Anyone who has been in a wedding should know that.

For heaven's sake read the "Sanatorium" section of GQ, a magazine most IT guys don't even know exists. It will help with more than just interviewing.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    as long as its neat, you're good money. i have a goatee, but i always have it sharp when i go on interviews.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)