Offer

I just got a Job offer, pending Primary Contractor approval (phone interview with them) as well as a background check for Secret Clearance. I know several of you out there have worked on governement contracts, so what can I expect in regards to the background check for the Secret Clearance? Is there anything in particular I need to worry about? Im kind of excited and nervous at the same time.

Comments

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    check and see if they found where ya hide the bodies, if not you should be cool
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    check and see if they found where ya hide the bodies, if not you should be cool

Great, now they will probably find this thread. Way to ruin his chances.

icon_lol.gif

JK, from what I have read up on security clearance is that it depends on the amount of clearance you are being investigated to get. If you are just getting confidential clearance or secret clearance they will investigate the following possibly:
    Reliability checks: Reliability checks are done by verifying personal data, criminal records check, educational, and professional qualifications, data on previous employment and references. As well, a fingerprint check, and a credit check may be required.
    You will also have the following screened:
    foreign employments, immediate relatives, and marriages/common-law relationships must be declared and be screened.

If it is Top Secret clearance:
    In addition to the checks at the Secret level, foreign travels, assets, and character references must be given. Field check will also be conducted prior to granting the clearance.

Ref: Security clearance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Long story short, I would just not worry about it. If you are a good person with no felonies that scare children then you should be fine.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    congrats on the job!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137
    If you do have anything on your record it is best to disclose it and not try to hide it, because that will definitely put your character into question and pretty much disqualify you from obtaining a clearance.
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    When I was in the Army getting a secret clearance I had to fill out a long form (something like 10 pages). It took awhile just to get all of the information the form asked for. Also I remember investigators coming to talk to my unit commander about me.

I don't know how much it costs, but it's not cheap to get a secret clearance. If they're getting you cleared you must have the job, otherwise they wouldn't invest that kind of money into you.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    I don't know how much it costs, but it's not cheap to get a secret clearance. If they're getting you cleared you must have the job, otherwise they wouldn't invest that kind of money into you.

Depending on the clearances it hovers around $100,000, last I read.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137
    chmorin wrote: »
    Depending on the clearances it hovers around $100,000, last I read.

Security clearances for civilian and government really don't cost anything. It's the travel and administrative oversight which cost money. $100,000 is nowhere near the costs for a clearance.

I just recently had this conversation with a government client going over a new contract my company had recently been awarded.
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    For Secret, they go back about 8 years. You will be filling out the application online, but Google "SF86" - it's the same form.

BE HONEST when filling it out. If you smoked pot 3 years ago, put it down. The worst thing that can happen is you lie on the form and then you get caught. As another poster said, that will put your character in to question.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS