Thoughts from today's exam

Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
Passed an hour ago, wanted to share my thoughts:

1. Thank you to all the people who post the great advice on study materials, resources, etc. Not having to reinvent the wheel when it comes to finding what you need for these exams is a huge help that I don't take for granted. It is appreciated.

2. My advice to those taking this exam would be to not worry too much about subnetting and IPv6. You need to be able to differentiate between the two, and you do need to be able to convert binary to dotted decimal, but I spent more time on subnetting than I probably should have, with regards to studying for this. It will come in handy later, to be sure, but I didn't feel it was helpful for this exam. Ymmv.

3. When it comes to memorizing the media types (cables, connectors, etc.) focus on the lengths, speed, and connectors for each of the different technologies. I went in after memorizing the different laser wavelength details (1000BaseSX= 850nm, for example), and didn't see anything relating to wavelength questions. If you know your speeds, lenghts and connectors, you'll be fine.

I know most of this has been discussed before, but mainly I wanted to thank everyone again for taking the time to share the information they used to study and the various resources they used to do so. I used the Mike Meyers Net+ All-in-One 4th Edition, along with Certblaster practice exams and Labsim practice exams. I took a couple of Examforce practice tests too, but they had some questions that weren't in the objectives, so I moved away from that.

Good luck to all preparing for this exam.

Comments

• ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Your advice is appreciated, I'm taking N+ this month. Congratulations on passing!! What was your score?
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Congrats! icon_cheers.gif You must have an Excellent score ;) What's next for ya??
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    Your advice is appreciated, I'm taking N+ this month. Congratulations on passing!! What was your score?

Score was 845, not great, not terrible. There were at least 4 questions I missed that were extremely easy, but I mixed up some switches on the network tools icon_redface.gif. I probably rushed my preparation somewhat, as I've been using the year end deadline to help motivate myself to push through the CompTIA stuff. I personally don't care about the lifetime cert, but I always try to create some type of schedule to work against for these kinds of things for motivation purposes.

Anyway, it's a pass, and I'm working on Darril's book now for Sec+. I'll give it a shot by the end of the year and we'll see how it goes.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the new cert.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Score was 845, not great, not terrible. There were at least 4 questions I missed that were extremely easy, but I mixed up some switches on the network tools icon_redface.gif. I probably rushed my preparation somewhat, as I've been using the year end deadline to help motivate myself to push through the CompTIA stuff. I personally don't care about the lifetime cert, but I always try to create some type of schedule to work against for these kinds of things for motivation purposes.

Anyway, it's a pass, and I'm working on Darril's book now for Sec+. I'll give it a shot by the end of the year and we'll see how it goes.

Hey 845 is nothing to sneeze at. Congrats on your pass, look forward to seeing the pass in the security+ section as well.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Hey 845 is nothing to sneeze at. Congrats on your pass, look forward to seeing the pass in the security+ section as well.

You're right, and I apologize if I came across as conceited about it, or anything. I just feel like I should have done better. I got confused halfway through the exam and couldn't remember if rarp was mac to ip or if that was arp. Then I got frustrated at myself for making such a simple mistake, haha.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, does anyone else get a let-down feeling after they complete a cert? I get that initial rush from seeing the pass screen, then it sort of fizzles from there.

Must be my old age. Regardless, thanks all for the kind words.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats man! Great score. :)
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Also, while I'm thinking about it, does anyone else get a let-down feeling after they complete a cert? I get that initial rush from seeing the pass screen, then it sort of fizzles from there.

Must be my old age. Regardless, thanks all for the kind words.

A buddy of mine gets the same way. Said the only cert he's done that hasn't left him feeling that way was CCNA. I just like the feeling of being able to update my resume with my new stuff. However I usually have a coming down period of a few days where I do no new studying and just relax, then it's back into full blown study mode.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Pratt2Pratt2 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    A buddy of mine gets the same way. Said the only cert he's done that hasn't left him feeling that way was CCNA. I just like the feeling of being able to update my resume with my new stuff. However I usually have a coming down period of a few days where I do no new studying and just relax, then it's back into full blown study mode.

I get that comedown feeling when I once again start thinking about how I STILL don't have a job. Sigh...
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    good advice, i passed mine today too
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    good advice, i passed mine today too

Like I said before, on fire this year haha.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Like I said before, on fire this year haha.

motivation brother... i'm 31, but I feel much older... regardless, I have classes with all these young guys, and I'm going at a pace much faster than them... I got a son and I am about to be married to a different woman to add 2 more kids to the mix...

these guys in class have no kids, no spouse, no jobs.... and they seem to have no drive.... just seems odd to me... but maybe they don't have all that other stuff, so therefore they don't see an urgency like I do...

but yeah, thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Reck_Reck_ Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations....

Items 2 and 3 are super true icon_lol.gif