Subnetting

Rebster40Rebster40 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been using Mike Meyers AIO as well as Labsim. Everything has been going smoothly until I ran into subnetting yesterday. I cannot seem to grasp it at all, no matter how much I read and watch, it just does not make sense to me. Could anyone point me in the right direction or lend some advice? Thanks.

Comments

• gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    Subnetting is one of those things that you just have to work at and practice and then at some point it just clicks. Then you should practice some more to improve speed especially if you are going to move on to Cisco at some point.

Here are some great practice sites:
    subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online
    IP Subnet Practice

I didn't use this site but many people recommend it: Learn To Subnet:  A Free, Lecture-Based Presentation on IP Addressing and Subnetting

getting different explanations from different sources help: watch the professor messer videos on subnetting. There is one on binary math and two on subnetting Professor Messer's Free CompTIA Network+ Certification Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training

cisco has some games that may help you. There is a binary math game and a couple different subnetting games. You will probably have to sign up for a free account. https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1802
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-7561
    Cisco Binary Game

After you have ANDing down and really understand the concepts and can do the problems with binary math I recommend using one of the charts or other methods out there to gain speed. I took this guys method and changed it around a bit to work better for me. Creating Your Own Mental Subnet Calculator
    my interwebs are going crazy... this was a double post
  • Rebster40Rebster40 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the reply, I will definitely be checking those links out more thoroughly. Does one need to know subnetting in and out to pass the exam, or just a general understanding of how it works? I was planning on taking the exam very soon, but it seems it may take a bit to get this topic drilled in if it is needed. Thanks.
    Rebster40 wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply, I will definitely be checking those links out more thoroughly. Does one need to know subnetting in and out to pass the exam, or just a general understanding of how it works? I was planning on taking the exam very soon, but it seems it may take a bit to get this topic drilled in if it is needed. Thanks.

I would say you need to have a pretty good handle on it. You need to be able to subnet but not necessarily lightning fast. Of course there's only so much I can say due to the NDA and you might get totally different questions than I did. Depending on how you are doing with the other objectives- I think there's still plenty of time before the end of the year to learn it well enough for the Net+.

Is it just a general head scratcher for you right now or do you have some specific questions?
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Rebster40 wrote: »

If you just ran into yesterday, reread that section on Subnetting again a couple more times. I don't think anyone can fully grasp it the first time. You don't need to be an expert on it either but it will be important if you plan to go beyond Network+. A full basic understanding is the very minimal that you need, but read into it a little more just in case. We all had different experiences so can't say exactly.

Try Professor Messer's free videos if you haven't already:
    Professor Messer's Free CompTIA Network+ Certification Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
    Yes, I have a grasp on the topic. I understand the purpose of it and why it is important and what not. When I watch someone take a Class B address and convert it to binary and divide it up into multiple networks and try to take it all in is a bit overwhelming to me. I contacted my local testing center and the last possible day to take an exam is December 15. Cutting it a little close, but we will see. I am planning on moving beyond the Network+ cert, so I do want to understand subnetting in and out eventually, just trying to get a general idea of what I should be expected to know for this particular exam. Thanks for the replies.
  • Pratt2Pratt2 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What worked for me was finding some hard sample questions with answers given. I kind of worked backwards. Making sure I didn't get lazy with the binary helped a lot as well.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    here is the method that made it click for me

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html

and my favorite practice site

IP Subnet Practice
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
    miller811 wrote: »

Thanks you for this. This is so much easier to take in than the other methods I have looked at.
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    This site helped me a lot when I was learning(still learning) subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online

Those questions are a bit too advanced for the Net+, but you will need to understand sub-netting to that extent for CCNA etc.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    In the Sybex kit, Bill Ferguson's Review Guide really helped me with that
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark