Net Depict

chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
I just recently purchased NetDepict - 100% Automated Visio Network Drawings from their website and it crashes at the splash screen on my windows 7 box at work. I can not find any support forums for this software nor any evidence of this problem occurring for anyone else. The product looks amazing but I can't get it to even start.

I figured I'd ask this community if they have had any luck with it, or if they know where I could go for support. I just sent them an email with the issue from their 'contact us' page, but that is all I could find to do.

EDIT:

Just crossed my mind this should probably be in off topic. My Bad.
Currently Pursuing
WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
mikej412 wrote:
Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.

Comments

• fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    Did you try running it in Windows XP mode?
    CCNP :study:
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    fly351 wrote: »
    Did you try running it in Windows XP mode?

Sure did, as well as administrator and as vista. I did get contacted by them asking me a few questions, saying they will work on the issue and send me the update when they get one around October, and they understand if I ask for a refund and will send the update regardless.

Turned out to be decent support, but still annoying for me. I'm in a new work environment and am trying to find out all of the networking equipment and servers they have. I figured this would be a decent tool for that.

Any other suggestions? I have already done subnet scans but they are spread pretty far out and their naming scheme is NOT helping me finding out if the device is a server or not.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can you run a copy on XP in a VM? It's not the most elegant solution, but it might hold you over until October.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    I'm in a new work environment and am trying to find out all of the networking equipment and servers they have. I figured this would be a decent tool for that.

Any other suggestions? I have already done subnet scans but they are spread pretty far out and their naming scheme is NOT helping me finding out if the device is a server or not.

See if CDP is enabled on your other devices (if they're Cisco). You can draw out a network pretty easily doing that. I recently had to do that as well. It was for a pretty small network, but the personnel that had the equipment before me left CDP enabled globally so I was able to map out the network pretty easily. I'm assuming you didn't have any documentation/drawings/diagrams turned over to you once you began the new job? HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
    See if CDP is enabled on your other devices (if they're Cisco). You can draw out a network pretty easily doing that. I recently had to do that as well. It was for a pretty small network, but the personnel that had the equipment before me left CDP enabled globally so I was able to map out the network pretty easily. I'm assuming you didn't have any documentation/drawings/diagrams turned over to you once you began the new job? HTH.

-Peanut

I got some but they admitted they were out dated and not accurate, so that didn't help very much. I have no access to switches yet (working on that) but I asked them about CDP but they have non-cisco firewalls at the edge of most networks, making CDP almost useless in finding anything other than WANs.

I'll probably have to toss XP in a VM and give that a shot. Thanks everyone.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • JilamintsJilamints Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can I ask what happened in the wash up with this?
    I'd be keen to invest in this software so your feedback would be most welcome! :)
    Jilamints wrote: »
    Can I ask what happened in the wash up with this?
    I'd be keen to invest in this software so your feedback would be most welcome! :)

I never once got use out of it, and I consider it a wasted investment. Understand that my environment turned out to be much larger than I anticipated, with many many networks. Netdepict is just not going to help with my situation.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote: