I can't stop dialing 911.

shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
911. Its a number we often need in times of emergency as I have dialed this year when a man had a seizure in a office I was working at, at the time. But what about those other times when people dial it. What do they usually do? Most hang up right away then the boys in blue show up, sometimes they can be a little unhappy. Well today a customer of mines made that mistake and they got a fine as they have made the mistake several times recently. I guess nobody told them not to hang up when they call. We went over a few options on how they couldn't dial 911 and the best option was for them to change there outside dial to a 8. This was a CME system so it was done on the command line, but we can make some route patterns on a CUCM if there is interest. First thing we do is edit the dial peers. I have a few sample's below............. Click the link

http://urbanengineercisco.blogspot.com/2010/12/i-cant-stop-dialing-911.html
Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related

Comments

• mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Good post. We've had it happen a couple times here as well, so I think I'll throw your suggested config changes at our IPT manager.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yeah we get a random 911 hang-up call every once and a while. Mostly when people try to call on net to the office with the 11xx DID block. :) I wish that we started with a different access code back in the day. Too many completely random DID blocks (some in the 8xxx range) and sites and not enough time to get into lengthy translations and site codes as things stand now.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm in the process of deploying a site who's DID range has 91XX involved. All we will need is a miss-punch on a button and the police will get called. Fortunately, we are skipping the 91XX for this reason. It is still a waste of perfectly good DID ranges.

A little education on not hanging up if you accidentally dial 911 could be in order.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    I'm in the process of deploying a site who's DID range has 91XX involved. All we will need is a miss-punch on a button and the police will get called. Fortunately, we are skipping the 91XX for this reason. It is still a waste of perfectly good DID ranges.

A little education on not hanging up if you accidentally dial 911 could be in order.

Nobody wants the 9xxx DID ranges from the telco – that’s why they try to pawn them off. I had them offered a couple of times for various PRIs and we just reject them – they always find another block to give you :)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    pitviper wrote: »
    Nobody wants the 9xxx DID ranges from the telco – that’s why they try to pawn them off. I had them offered a couple of times for various PRIs and we just reject them – they always find another block to give you :)

Noted. My manager got the ranges so next time we go through the rounds I'll bring up that we don't want the 9XXX ranges. Thanks!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.