Options

Book Recommendations for Exchange 2010 pls

We are running Exchange 2003 at present at work and will be changing to 2010 shortly.

Please can you recommend any books which cover the new skills - not particularly looking at exams but who knows............

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The Exchange 2010 Unleashed book is quite good. I have gone through about 210 pages, bloody detailed. I have heard good things about the Pocket Administrator book.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    unnamedplayerunnamedplayer Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We are running Exchange 2003 at present at work and will be changing to 2010 shortly.

Please can you recommend any books which cover the new skills - not particularly looking at exams but who knows............

This book looks interesting and is on my list of books to pick up. Haven't read it, but its got good reviews and is suppose to be good for practical advice.

Amazon.com: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Best Practices (Best Practices (Microsoft)) (9780735627192): Siegfried Jagott, Joel Stidley: Books
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    What are good books to start if you don't have any exchange experience and dont plan on getting certified. We are doing a lot of 2010 installs just for the purpose of Voice mail.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Essendon wrote: »
    The Exchange 2010 Unleashed book is quite good. I have gone through about 210 pages, bloody detailed. I have heard good things about the Pocket Administrator book.

I have both, but I didn't read much of the Unleashed book. I was looking for a certification resource, particulary one available on Kindle, but it seemed like the first 200 pages of the Unleashed book covered the history of email and Exchange. Since I already had a few years of experience and was certified in 2003 and 2007, I didn't need the history lesson and switched to the Pocket Consultant. The Pocket Consultant chapters matched up to the exam objectives well and told me what I needed to get up to speed on 2010 for both the exam and a migration soon after.

If you are new to Exchange and are looking for a good overall reference, go with the Unleashed book. The Pocket Consultant would be better for experienced admins or for exam prep. Once you get past the basics, the Exchange 2010 Best Practices book should get you to the next level. I picked it up on sale last week with plans to begin reading and preparing for the 663 exam in January.
  • Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    thanks for the replies.

I've ordered: Amazon.com: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Administration Instant Reference (9780470530504): Ken St. Cyr: Books

and

Amazon.com: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Best Practices (Best Practices (Microsoft)) (9780735627192): Siegfried Jagott, Joel Stidley: Books

If I decide that I wish do do an exam later, I may get the Training Kit but I reckon that should keep me busy for a while :)