Exam is booked

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
I've been procrastinating this for awhile because other things have been coming up, and I'm a bit afraid to be honest. I just looked at the calendar (both work and prometric) and it looks like if I want this done in 2010, it's going to have to be the 16th.

So I just booked the exam for the afternoon and took the day off work for some final preparations. I'm understanding most of the stuff, but I still have barely made a dent with the CBT's and still have about a third of the MS press book to read. I did take an AD class earlier this year and easily got an A. So it isn't like this stuff is brand new to me, but it still has the nerves going though.

Any tips/advice are always accepted.
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I've been procrastinating this for awhile because other things have been coming up, and I'm a bit afraid to be honest. I just looked at the calendar (both work and prometric) and it looks like if I want this done in 2010, it's going to have to be the 16th.

So I just booked the exam for the afternoon and took the day off work for some final preparations. I'm understanding most of the stuff, but I still have barely made a dent with the CBT's and still have about a third of the MS press book to read. I did take an AD class earlier this year and easily got an A. So it isn't like this stuff is brand new to me, but it still has the nerves going though.

Any tips/advice are always accepted.

Good luck man! I'd recommend reviewing Group Policy Inheritance, the Loopback Modes, and the Active Directory Sites, Site Links, Site Link Bridges, etc.. That's what screwed me the first time I took it. I have my 299 retake on the 23rd and the 298 on the 27th.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    willhi1979 wrote: »
    Good luck man! I'd recommend reviewing Group Policy Inheritance, the Loopback Modes, and the Active Directory Sites, Site Links, Site Link Bridges, etc.. That's what screwed me the first time I took it. I have my 299 retake on the 23rd and the 298 on the 27th.

I'm pretty comfortable with Group Policy. I get the whole thing, the only concern is the infinite number of policies and where they are located. The sites is something I will certainly need to review. I know I'm kind of strapped for time, but even in 2 days there is lots of time. I could probably get in 6 hours of study tonight, another 5 or 6 tomorrow, and then I took Thursday off work, so that gives me another 4 or 5 hours before my test. Not ideal, but after the many other MS exams, there are a lot of repeat concepts.

I also have a retake for this, so it isn't the end of the world if I fail. Just a significant inconvenience and a hit to my ego. Good luck with the 298 and 299. Hopefully I will be studying for them by the end of the week.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Campeon_1Campeon_1 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am on my second round icon_sad.gif .. I am hoping to get revenge by 1st of March.
  • citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    All the testing centers around me, three total, are booked until the end of the year. I had to schedule mine for 1/3
    Campeon_1 wrote: »
    I am on my second round icon_sad.gif .. I am hoping to get revenge by 1st of March.

I wouldn't wait that long. Couple weeks and then get back in there. You don't want to start forgetting stuff that you already knew.
  • DOSDOS Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    After reading some of your posts you sound like you got it wired tight. You should pass no problemicon_thumright.gif
    It was bound to happen one of these days, scored a 663.
    It was bound to happen one of these days, scored a 663.

Sorry man, that happened to me on the first go. I'm sure you'll get it next time. PM me if you have any questions that I might be able to answer.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That was pretty close. You'll get it next time.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Aw that was quite close. What were you weaker in? Revenge booked yet?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    I'm really not too upset with it, I knew going in that it would be close one way or the other. It's just too bad that it was on the lower end. I'm actually looking forward to the extra time to learn this the right way. I already started last night by creating a new site in the lab. Plus having more than an hour and a half using transcender would be nice.

The most upsetting part about the whole thing is that it is looking like the next available date is January 3rd. I didn't really want to spend another 2 weeks on this exam, was hoping to get moving on with the 298. But I'll take it how it comes.

As far as weak areas, I don't know. Judging by the score report, I scored between 75% and 90% on each section. If there was a single section I could brush up on, that would be fine. But I think I have to go back nearly to square one and just start over since it's a little bit of everything.

And thanks for all of the support!
  • someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
    I'm really not too upset with it, I knew going in that it would be close one way or the other. It's just too bad that it was on the lower end. I'm actually looking forward to the extra time to learn this the right way. I already started last night by creating a new site in the lab. Plus having more than an hour and a half using transcender would be nice.

The most upsetting part about the whole thing is that it is looking like the next available date is January 3rd. I didn't really want to spend another 2 weeks on this exam, was hoping to get moving on with the 298. But I'll take it how it comes.

As far as weak areas, I don't know. Judging by the score report, I scored between 75% and 90% on each section. If there was a single section I could brush up on, that would be fine. But I think I have to go back nearly to square one and just start over since it's a little bit of everything.

And thanks for all of the support!

You'll nail it next time buddy!! focus focus focus... and you'll go in and GO HARD!!!
  • citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Well now you have an idea of what the questions look like and what they are asking for. So you'll knock it out of the park next time.

I still haven't decided if I am going to stick with Jan 3rd for my test. It is scheduled but all these horror stories I might push it back a week or so... not sure how much studying I will get this week due to the holidays.
    It was my own fault. If I had booked the test more than 2 days before hand I think it would have been different. Plus I've already realized at least 2 of my mistakes. (Mostly due to overthinking) I honestly thought it was going well, sure there were some questions I had no clue on, but there were a lot that I answered straight up and knew without a doubt that it was right. Most of the simulations were pretty straight forward.

I've taken a step back, slowed down the pace of things, and just give it all time to sink in. Plus I'm actually using the transcender I bought now. Prior to the test I only had time to run through about 25 questions. And at least one of them I got wrong but after reading their reasoning it made sense (got me on a technicality) and then nearly the same question showed up on the real thing.
    When will I be getting another voucher number? I got an email the other day from microsoft about not being discouraged and gave a link to some retake advice, but it didn't include a new voucher number.

I bought the 4 pack voucher thing.
    Good luck on your next tryicon_thumright.gif
    I will do my retake in Jan. Right now is hectic with Christmas coming up, but I am going over the CBT's, then I will start labbin it.
    When will I be getting another voucher number? I got an email the other day from microsoft about not being discouraged and gave a link to some retake advice, but it didn't include a new voucher number.

I bought the 4 pack voucher thing.

There's a form you have to fill out when you fail an exam and have a pack with more than one exam. It takes a few days for your exam to show up as failed so you can request it. It'll be a link in your initial voucher e-mail. If you don't have it, PM me and I'll send it.
    willhi1979 wrote: »
    There's a form you have to fill out when you fail an exam and have a pack with more than one exam. It takes a few days for your exam to show up as failed so you can request it. It'll be a link in your initial voucher e-mail. If you don't have it, PM me and I'll send it.

Good call. Just used it and got the code.

Thanks

+1
    What is a testing center required to provide you with? This last time I went to a new place. They gave me one of the standard dry erase boards that was pitifully cleaned and a marker. I was cautioned that they don't clean well. (But that is because they didn't have an eraser... duh) So I asked for a second board and made due.

Is this acceptable behavior? The usual place I go gives me 2 boards, 2 markers, and an eraser. I ask because I might be going to this crappy place again, unless I want to wait another 2 weeks, and I don't.
  • JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    What is a testing center required to provide you with? This last time I went to a new place. They gave me one of the standard dry erase boards that was pitifully cleaned and a marker. I was cautioned that they don't clean well. (But that is because they didn't have an eraser... duh) So I asked for a second board and made due.

Is this acceptable behavior? The usual place I go gives me 2 boards, 2 markers, and an eraser. I ask because I might be going to this crappy place again, unless I want to wait another 2 weeks, and I don't.

Yep. that is what I get usually, 1 board and 1 dry marker and NO eraser.
    JBrown wrote: »
    Yep. that is what I get usually, 1 board and 1 dry marker and NO eraser.

Thats ridiculous though. I like to jot notes down and draw pictures. I could easily use half to 3/4 of a board for most questions. So for this last test I was very stingy with my space and wrote nearly nothing down. I'm not blaming that on the fail, but it certainly gets to my head. I had to concentrate so much more on the question and reread it several times. I'd go buy my own eraser, but I'm sure they wouldn't let me use it since I might have notes hidden in it or something. How can they expect you to answer 40-50 questions using a single sheet?
  • someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
    Thats ridiculous though. I like to jot notes down and draw pictures. I could easily use half to 3/4 of a board for most questions. So for this last test I was very stingy with my space and wrote nearly nothing down. I'm not blaming that on the fail, but it certainly gets to my head. I had to concentrate so much more on the question and reread it several times. I'd go buy my own eraser, but I'm sure they wouldn't let me use it since I might have notes hidden in it or something. How can they expect you to answer 40-50 questions using a single sheet?

I get 2 boards, 2 markers =D
    rebooked for next saturday, at the place I like to go.
    Tomorrow is the day, feeling much more ready this time but there are still some things I need to review.
    Good luck!!
    I will be studying all day tomorrowicon_study.gif I hope to pass it my second time also, if not thank God for the Microsoft 2 for 1 dealsicon_lol.gif
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck, bring back the pass!
    Success!

It was by no means a home run, but I will certainly take a 754. Thats a million times better than the 663 that I got the first time.

I'll write more tomorrow, it's 3am but I did want to get back to you guys. Thanks for all of the help!