Do we have to know modems?

brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
The first set of objectives I looked at, on Wikibooks, had a requirement for modem setup and PPP on the LPI test. I then went to CompTIA and found no mention. Is knowing how to set up a modem a requirement?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I would follow the objectives as presented by CompTIA:
    CompTIA Linux+
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As PlanetWiz said go through the objectives via the CompTIA's site or through LPI's site. I believe the Linux+ is now LPIC-1 in disguise so taking the "Linux+" will give you LPIC-1 and Novell CLA.
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    As PlanetWiz said go through the objectives via the CompTIA's site or through LPI's site. I believe the Linux+ is now LPIC-1 in disguise so taking the "Linux+" will give you LPIC-1 and Novell CLA.

I'd like to get Linux+, which in turn give me the other two. I'll use OpenSuse so I don't feel like I am stealing the Novell cert. Then hopefully I will move on the LP! 2 and 3. I have made a list of books to buy. Unlike Security+ there doesn't seem to be a consensus for Linux+. I feel comfortable once I get out of the low level stuff like interrupts and IRQs. I could try and memorize them, but frankly have never used them.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    brownwrap wrote: »
    The first set of objectives I looked at, on Wikibooks, had a requirement for modem setup and PPP on the LPI test. I then went to CompTIA and found no mention. Is knowing how to set up a modem a requirement?
    Oh, I don't know, what do objectives say? :D And oh, does wikibooks issue your cert or CompTIA?
    You'll find a great deal of online freebees that are tagged as an LPI prep material but are terribly outdated.
    If you are afraid of cheating Novell, use SUSE. But then you won't ever know what can apt-get do for you.
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    varelg wrote: »
    Oh, I don't know, what do objectives say? :D And oh, does wikibooks issue your cert or CompTIA?
    You'll find a great deal of online freebees that are tagged as an LPI prep material but are terribly outdated.
    If you are afraid of cheating Novell, use SUSE. But then you won't ever know what can apt-get do for you.

I have used, Red Hat, CentOS, and Fedora, as well as Ubuntu and built a system using Linux From Scratch and Beyond Linux From Scratch, I know what apt-get is.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    ATH0Q0V0E0M0X4S0=0S2=1S10=60&C1&D2

I'm interested to see if any of you can translate that ;)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    ATH0Q0V0E0M0X4S0=0S2=1S10=60&C1&D2

I'm interested to see if any of you can translate that ;)
    If I ever see an .mdf file again, it'll be all too soon. This is why I drink. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.