Network Technician Salary

ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,
I am looking at jobs here in Montana (yes the wild west ;) and am looking to get your opinion on the wage the following job posting

"...seeking a experienced Network Technician to join our company. The ideal candidate will have 4-5 years of hands-on IT experience working with desktops, notebooks, servers and networks. Candidate must have strong organization, communication and problem solving skills."

My current position is being an Applications Analyst for a bank and am bringing home around $41K a year.

So, do you think that the job posting above would give me a boost in income or knock me down a peg or two?

Thanks
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"

Comments

• ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    It's possible, but if you get an interview with them and ask in the interview what the pay is....that won't score you any points! I'd let them bring up salary and if they ask you, give them a figure that's higher than what you're currently making. If they tell you what the position pays it's either going to be less than you make or more than you make icon_lol.gif Obviously you wouldn't want to quit your job for a pay cut.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OK, I got another little question to ask.

With applying to these other jobs, should I let my manager know that I am seeking other employment or just wait and see what bites?

The problem with my current job is that it is very much proprietary with the programs I work with. I would really like to get something that is much broader to expand my skills, like windows administration or some type of network job.

Anywho, just want to see how people look at job hunting while still employed.

cheers
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I saw someone post yesterday that they were fired once their employer found out they were looking for another job (via a site like monster.com or something like that).

That's one of those things you have to look at it case-by-case. If you have a family of course you want to put financial stability first! However, how would your employer know if your job hunting method was to send your CV to an employer? If you're not listed on a job site they wouldn't know you were looking...

Be interesting to see what others have to say about this. Might be some good stories :)
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Hey Guys,
    I am looking at jobs here in Montana (yes the wild west ;) and am looking to get your opinion on the wage the following job posting

"...seeking a experienced Network Technician to join our company. The ideal candidate will have 4-5 years of hands-on IT experience working with desktops, notebooks, servers and networks. Candidate must have strong organization, communication and problem solving skills."

This "job posting" says nothing. Is that it?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    ...However, how would your employer know if your job hunting method was to send your CV to an employer? If you're not listed on a job site they wouldn't know you were looking...

Sending a resume to a former colleague of theirs... it happens all the time. Sometimes they give the info to their friend, sometimes to just won't hire you (out of respect to their friend) and they won't let you know. Be careful here. This is where professional networking comes into play. If you use LinkedIn, you will know most of the people your boss keeps in contact with if you add your boss to your network. This can also be a double-edged sword, however... if a potential employer finds you on LinkedIn, they can look through your network and contact people (never witnessed this, however).

If you are really worried about it, use a headhunter. They won't release your information without first contacting you and giving you the details.

You are in a strong position by having a job. Be somewhat selective about what you apply for to protect your current position, but also don't be afraid to interview for positions that you may think are not right salary-wise in either direction. I constantly interview. Last year, I had three job offers but did not leave my job... it is a luxury that you have.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    OK, I got another little question to ask.

With applying to these other jobs, should I let my manager know that I am seeking other employment or just wait and see what bites?

The first time I'd bring it up is when putting my two weeks notice after I've already gotten a hard confirmed start date for a new job with all the details worked out. You don't want to get stuck out of work.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    I saw someone post yesterday that they were fired once their employer found out they were looking for another job (via a site like monster.com or something like that).

That's one of those things you have to look at it case-by-case. If you have a family of course you want to put financial stability first! However, how would your employer know if your job hunting method was to send your CV to an employer? If you're not listed on a job site they wouldn't know you were looking...

Be interesting to see what others have to say about this. Might be some good stories :)

Yeah, I'm that someone. I'll tell you, that was one of the most awkward conversations I've ever had at a job. Since it was such a small company, the President was also my immediate boss. He called me into his office right as soon as I came in and sat at my desk. He said, "You know I've been looking to hire an additional person. Well, last night I stumbled upon your resume." And that was it. We sat there in silence for a few seconds while I scrambled for something to say. I think I said something about trying to find a part-time job and that I wasn't trying to leave. I don't remember exactly. All I really remember was just sitting there after he said "yeah, this isn't working out. I'm going to have to let you go". I was trying to think about who I could complain to, but realized that the entire company consisted of only 10 people and there wasn't any type of HR since the one acting as HR was his wife...

Luckily I found a job 2 weeks later so there really isn't a gap in my employment, but since then I've learned to never post my resume publicly on job boards. Some people feel comfortable enough with their bosses to let them know that they're looking. I'm not one of those people. YMMV.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The first time I'd bring it up is when putting my two weeks notice after I've already gotten a hard confirmed start date for a new job with all the details worked out. You don't want to get stuck out of work.

+1
    I NEVER tell my employer that I am seeking something else. I wouldnt want to risk getting let go in the mean time.
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    I posed this question a while back on here of whether or not to let your employer know that you are looking for a new job out of courtesy to them.

Fast forward to me submitting my two week notice recently and I can tell you that I wouldn't do it. Though the boss was pretty cool about it, people will look at you and treat you differently. I'm so thankful I didn't let them know when I was just looking. You are almost instantly looked at like an outsider from then on. Though I didn't have my permissions taken away or access to the building revoked, things are different.

Just my 2 cents
  • TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    Ryan82 wrote: »
    I posed this question a while back on here of whether or not to let your employer know that you are looking for a new job out of courtesy to them.

Fast forward to me submitting my two week notice recently and I can tell you that I wouldn't do it. Though the boss was pretty cool about it, people will look at you and treat you differently. I'm so thankful I didn't let them know when I was just looking. You are almost instantly looked at like an outsider from then on. Though I didn't have my permissions taken away or access to the building revoked, things are different.

Just my 2 cents

I got the third degree from an old boss I worked for at the time because of that. I had my resume on career builder and just never bothered to take it down. He asked me to take a ride with him and then he started asking me these questions like "Are you happy? Are you comfortable down here?(i moved to Florida for the job) We laughed after wards about it but yea, they do look at you differently when they think you are on your way out.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• rob7278rob7278 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't know about all job posting sites, but if my memory serves me- I believe on most of them you have the ability to block certain employers from viewing your resume. I would definitely block my current employer if I ever posted my resume on a job board and like others have already mentioned- the first my employer would ever here that I was looking for another job would be when I was handing in my 2 weeks notice. Which by the way, I would be hoping they would let me go on the spot because if you give 2 weeks notice and they let you go that day- they still have to pay you for the 2 weeks. I know this for a fact- because this has happened to me personally twice.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    rob7278 wrote: »
    I don't know about all job posting sites, but if my memory serves me- I believe on most of them you have the ability to block certain employers from viewing your resume. I would definitely block my current employer if I ever posted my resume on a job board and like others have already mentioned- the first my employer would ever here that I was looking for another job would be when I was handing in my 2 weeks notice. Which by the way, I would be hoping they would let me go on the spot because if you give 2 weeks notice and they let you go that day- they still have to pay you for the 2 weeks. I know this for a fact- because this has happened to me personally twice.

If you are that worried about it, I wouldn't post it at all. HR people have their way around that sort of thing.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    Yeah, I'm that someone. I'll tell you, that was one of the most awkward conversations I've ever had at a job. Since it was such a small company, the President was also my immediate boss. He called me into his office right as soon as I came in and sat at my desk. He said, "You know I've been looking to hire an additional person. Well, last night I stumbled upon your resume." And that was it. We sat there in silence for a few seconds while I scrambled for something to say. I think I said something about trying to find a part-time job and that I wasn't trying to leave. I don't remember exactly. All I really remember was just sitting there after he said "yeah, this isn't working out. I'm going to have to let you go". I was trying to think about who I could complain to, but realized that the entire company consisted of only 10 people and there wasn't any type of HR since the one acting as HR was his wife...

Luckily I found a job 2 weeks later so there really isn't a gap in my employment, but since then I've learned to never post my resume publicly on job boards. Some people feel comfortable enough with their bosses to let them know that they're looking. I'm not one of those people. YMMV.
    What is the big deal here? You had your resume publicly viewable. So what? I don't get why someone would get so pissed about that. Or is there something more to this?
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Actually want to chime in here. We did a round of layoffs last year. I was later told by the boss he started by looking online at monster.com/dice etc for any of us that had a resumes out there. He explained it as he didn't want to lay someone off who wanted to be here and keep someone who didn't.
    -Daniel
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Actually want to chime in here. We did a round of layoffs last year. I was later told by the boss he started by looking online at monster.com/dice etc for any of us that had a resumes out there. He explained it as he didn't want to lay someone off who wanted to be here and keep someone who didn't.

icon_thumright.gif Another reason to not rely on those sites in my book. Especially since they bring mostly headhunters anyway.

I always got my best results for employers where I applied to THEM, instead of sitting on my butt waiting for them to find me.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    hex_omega wrote: »
    What is the big deal here? You had your resume publicly viewable. So what? I don't get why someone would get so pissed about that. Or is there something more to this?

I sometimes got a sort of vibe from him that he didn't really liked me. Yet, he would invite me after work hours to play poker or play flag football with him and another guy from work, and I would always decline (nicely). Maybe that had something to do with it? Who knows.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

• Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    as long as you're not active on the job boards, shouldn't it be obvious that you aren't actively search? it would say last updated (however long since you updated it).
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
    I had recently updated my resume. He saw my current position listed on there. That's how he knew.

• jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565

This. Until I have a signed offer letter in hand, I don't mention it to my boss.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    jmritenour wrote: »
    This. Until I have a signed offer letter in hand, I don't mention it to my boss.

I have always been so curious about this. How do you go about getting a signed offer letter? How do you ask for it? I see the obvious reasons why you would get one but does it really provide that extra security you are looking for?
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

So, reading over some of the comments, I think I'm gonna keep my mouth shut and see if anybody calls me. One thing I that caught my attention was the posts about having your resume on public boards such as careerbuilder.com and monster.com, which I do. I just hope that if something comes up, that they don't happen to find mine.

Along with the position listed above, I applied to some other positions. But I feel like I'm right in between entry-level and someone with 5+ years of experience, as all of the jobs I applied to requested at least 5 years of experience. I get the feeling that my resume may just be skipped cause I don't have enough years under my belt, but I remember what one of my teachers told me was to just apply anyways as the job posting is their "wishlist" and they may just give you a chance. Which is very true of my job now with being a tier 2 support fresh outta college. To me that's not bad.

Anyhow, thanks for the comments guys!
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So, reading over some of the comments, I think I'm gonna keep my mouth shut and see if anybody calls me. One thing I that caught my attention was the posts about having your resume on public boards such as careerbuilder.com and monster.com, which I do. I just hope that if something comes up, that they don't happen to find mine.

Along with the position listed above, I applied to some other positions. But I feel like I'm right in between entry-level and someone with 5+ years of experience, as all of the jobs I applied to requested at least 5 years of experience. I get the feeling that my resume may just be skipped cause I don't have enough years under my belt, but I remember what one of my teachers told me was to just apply anyways as the job posting is their "wishlist" and they may just give you a chance. Which is very true of my job now with being a tier 2 support fresh outta college. To me that's not bad.

Anyhow, thanks for the comments guys!

Oh yeah when they start asking for the Sun, Moon, and Stars you know it's a wish list. If you have 20% of what they are looking for apply for it! Usually they will have a list of requires and then prefers. I ignore the prefers, if I have them great, if I don't I am still going to apply. I would say on the core requirements you might need around a 1/3 of what they are asking to be a serious consideration. My buddy recently was picked up as a Sys Admin and he had about 1/3 of what they are asking.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I have always been so curious about this. How do you go about getting a signed offer letter? How do you ask for it? I see the obvious reasons why you would get one but does it really provide that extra security you are looking for?

I'm not sure if having the offer letter adds much more security, but it does show they are serious about hiring you. I'm sure they still have some legal right to change their mind, but I'm no lawyer.

Every job I've ever had has just given me a signed offer letter stating salary, vacation, etc. when the job was offered. I've never had to ask and I wouldn't take a job with out the details lined out on paper.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I'm not sure if having the offer letter adds much more security, but it does show they are serious about hiring you. I'm sure they still have some legal right to change their mind, but I'm no lawyer.

Every job I've ever had has just given me a signed offer letter stating salary, vacation, etc. when the job was offered. I've never had to ask and I wouldn't take a job with out the details lined out on paper.

Same here - maybe not a signed letter per se, but I'd wouldn't take a job without SOMETHING in writing indicating salary, start date, etc, even if it's just an email. And I've never had to ask, it's always been mailed, faxed, FedExed or emailed to me with a receipt confirmation.

For what it's worth, in the US, offer letters are NOT legally binding on either the employer or employee. Still, it's better than nothing.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    I always found it safer to NOT bring it up until you are putting in your 2 weeks. That way there isn't any tension and if they can you, at least you can start the job in 2 weeks or sooner.

My last job I did that, I waited until everything was confirmed and I had a start date and then I put in my notice. Not much they can do then
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yet, he would invite me after work hours to play poker or play flag football with him and another guy from work, and I would always decline (nicely). Maybe that had something to do with it? Who knows.

I had a boss back at Geek Squad years ago. He used to say "you can't really know a guy until you've been out drinking with him". And never friendly up to a person until you went out at least once. After that he was the friendliest guy in the world. Maybe that was all it was?
    -Daniel
    So....
    I got an email back from the owner/president of the company asking me some questions about Server 2003, Windows XP, Exchange and smartphone integration, etc.... Sounds like a Jack of all trades position. So I responded and he sent me back an email this morning asking about my availability if they ask me to come in for a position, why I want to leave my current position, and a salary range.

Didn't do any research on the salary range of the job, but since I am already making about $41K a year, I suggested between $50K and $55K.

Do you think that I was aiming to high?
    Been a couple of days and no word. I am not one for waiting. Anybody have any advice for me on the salary I requested?
  • PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    To answer the OPs question. I took a network tech pos recently, 50+
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Also took a Network position recently, pay is 50k. Official title is system/network engineer, although 80% of the work is sys admin related.

I was offered a Network/Infrastructure Support position a few weeks ago with a starting salary of 42k. It really depends on the company and what their expectation are.

If you don't hear back next week, contact their HR person and see if you could get a status update.