Question

security techsecurity tech Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I keep scoring between 68%-71% on practice exams. Do you guys think I should post-pone my exam for another week or two? Thanks in advance!

PS - I want to schedule for tomorrow to take exam.

Comments

• ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Hi all,

I keep scoring between 68%-71% on practice exams. Do you guys think I should post-pone my exam for another week or two? Thanks in advance!

PS - I want to schedule for tomorrow to take exam.

I never schedule an exam until I can start to see much higher score results. I am averaging around 81% on CISSP practice tests now and I am not ready! I usually do a 90%+ because you have to factor in being nervous and not being relaxed at your house while your taking the exam....point being taking a test under pressure and in a testing center is typically harder than just sitting at home.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    This is a tough call, if you wait youll get a cert good for 3 years. If you take it now and fail, youll still only get a cert good for three years. If you gamble and pass, then you get a lifetime cert. It's a tough call, I think if it were me id throw caution to the wind and try to bang it out before the year ends so i could have a chance to be lifetime certified. Dig deep tonight and tomorrow and try to take home a win!

Be careful though, if you havent scheduled yet you may have a hard time getting a slot given the urgency of most people trying to get the tests taken before Jan 01 2011.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

EDIT* Just for giggles I logged into Pearson Vue just to see if there are any slots open in the Central Ohio area (where i am, I'm not sure where you are) and it looks like there are for the 30th ONLY. All 6 test centers that I looked at were COMPLETELY booked on the 31st, and 3 of the 6 were completely booked on the 30th too, but the other three at least had slots on the 30th.

If you do decide to go before this year is up, Id schedule ASAP. Dont be afraid to drive a little too if you want a 31st slot.
  • security techsecurity tech Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is a tough call, if you wait youll get a cert good for 3 years. If you take it now and fail, youll still only get a cert good for three years. If you gamble and pass, then you get a lifetime cert. It's a tough call, I think if it were me id throw caution to the wind and try to bang it out before the year ends so i could have a chance to be lifetime certified. Dig deep tonight and tomorrow and try to take home a win!

Be careful though, if you havent scheduled yet you may have a hard time getting a slot given the urgency of most people trying to get the tests taken before Jan 01 2011.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

EDIT* Just for giggles I logged into Pearson Vue just to see if there are any slots open in the Central Ohio area (where i am, I'm not sure where you are) and it looks like there are for the 30th ONLY. All 6 test centers that I looked at were COMPLETELY booked on the 31st, and 3 of the 6 were completely booked on the 30th too, but the other three at least had slots on the 30th.

If you do decide to go before this year is up, Id schedule ASAP. Dont be afraid to drive a little too if you want a 31st slot.

I am a gambling person...LOL...I think I will try to bang it out. I live in the Philadelphia, PA and the only date available, close to where I live is the 30th. Which is fine! I am going to do it, I don't have anything to lose. This certification is for my knowledge and growth within the industry. What the heck!!!! Thanks for you're advice.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    if you have the cash, do it.
    if you can book a spot do it ,

spend all day watching professor messer.
    print out the n10-004 study guide at mcmcse.com and start cramming!
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    if you have the cash, do it.
    if you can book a spot do it ,

spend all day watching professor messer.
    print out the n10-004 study guide at mcmcse.com and start cramming!

I have a few extra bucks of my husband's money to spare!!...lol..lol...lol
    I did watch messers video and study guide a mcmcse.com over the weekend. I am going to do a review tonight and take it in the morning...Thanks for your advice.
  • Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    70% on practice exams? forget about it. the test is usually harder than practice tests. think about that for a second.
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
    70% on practice exams? forget about it. the test is usually harder than practice tests. think about that for a second.

Thanks for your advice...Decision is made already though. No biggie, I pass I pass, I fail I fail. It's a knowledge base test for me.
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Thanks for your advice...Decision is made already though. No biggie, I pass I pass, I fail I fail. It's a knowledge base test for me.

I would focus on the parts you are having trouble with.. Make sure you know OSI and where stuff falls in, know troubleshooting steps and how to actually utilize troubleshooting tools like netstat, nbtstat, ipconfig, etc, understand dns and dhcp, maybe a little on subnetting/CIDR, ports, vlans, etc.

CRAM IT IN and you will have a good shot! Be positive and focused!
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

I would focus on the parts you are having trouble with.. Make sure you know OSI and where stuff falls in, know troubleshooting steps and how to actually utilize troubleshooting tools like netstat, nbtstat, ipconfig, etc, understand dns and dhcp, maybe a little on subnetting/CIDR, ports, vlans, etc.

CRAM IT IN and you will have a good shot! Be positive and focused![/QUOTE
    Thank you...hitting the books now....Will sign back in tomorrow with results.
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352

You have this backwards. MOST practice exams are HARDER than the actual test on purpose. They are designed to make you LEARN. I was scoring 65 - 75% on Transcenders before sitting and I scored an 840 on Net+.
  • logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You have this backwards. MOST practice exams are HARDER than the actual test on purpose. They are designed to make you LEARN. I was scoring 65 - 75% on Transcenders before sitting and I scored an 840 on Net+.

Same goes for me when I took the A+
  • Grace1SmithGrace1Smith Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why techexam is so important?
    Anyone explain this in broadway!