Do employers ask...

JugglingRefereeJugglingReferee Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
... what your mark was on the exams?

I just heard about the re-cert requirements starting in 2011 for A+ and I quickly read the book and did both exams after only 1 week of studying. I only earned an 85%.

So, do companies generally care about your mark, or do they just want the cert?

FWIW, I'm in Canada's TT.

Comments

• ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    ... what your mark was on the exams?

I just heard about the re-cert requirements starting in 2011 for A+ and I quickly read the book and did both exams after only 1 week of studying. I only earned an 85%.

So, do companies generally care about your mark, or do they just want the cert?

FWIW, I'm in Canada's TT.

No, in my experience nobody will care what score you got on the exam. It wont be a question and it will be weird if you bring it up. What they will do is likely send probing questions your way about what they think you should know based on your experience, certifications, etc.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    No. They don't ever ask for your G.P.A. from school either icon_lol.gif You either have the degree or cert, or you don't.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nope, and if they did... feel free to lie. None of their business and they have no way of checking unless you provide them with a score report.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • JugglingRefereeJugglingReferee Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks!

Now... is 85% a bad mark? LOL

I also want to do the MCDST a week from now. With those two certs, I basically have a superb chance at a job that I want while I get back into IT.
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    ehnde wrote: »
    No. They don't ever ask for your G.P.A. from school either icon_lol.gif You either have the degree or cert, or you don't.

Depends on the company (Booz Allen Hamilton, Northrup Grumman, Lockheed Martin, Deloitte)....the bigger names strongly consider your GPA and what school you attended.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    ehnde wrote: »

yeah, I have to disagree with this too, almost every job app I have filled out has asked for my GPA
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Nope, and if they did... feel free to lie. None of their business and they have no way of checking unless you provide them with a score report.

Really? Lie?

And while they may not be likely to outright ask you, it is not unheard of for an employer to request a copy of the cert and they could even request the transcript or the test paper if they reimbuse you...I'd take caution in the lying...

No one truly cares what the score (pass is a pass, your ability to perform will quickly be evident), but to the OP, you don't get a percentage you get a point value...this isn't college ;) .
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ibcritn wrote: »
    Depends on the company (Booz Allen Hamilton, Northrup Grumman, Lockheed Martin, Deloitte)....the bigger names strongly consider your GPA and what school you attended.

Absolutely

Some of the IT Project Managers I worked with at BAH had outragous degrees. One of the PM's had all your high end certs plus a bachelors from Stanford Accounting, which is always number 1 in the nation and a masters from University of Florida Finance.

Insane education throughout the team.