Amazon Prime is amazing (MCDST book talk)

I ordered the Sybex MCDST book yesterday and it was on my doorstep today... less than 24 hours from placing my order I had the book.... how crazy awesome is that?

related note: I just read the Introduction and I think I am really going to like this book. I did do a little bit of Skillport before receiving this book, but I definitely prefer to read the actual book instead of do the Skillport courses. It has 11 chapters, I plan on reading roughly one chapter a day, hopefully knock this cert out before getting too deep into my Windows 7 course at school.

related side note: I saw at the bookstore that the Windows 7 version of MCDST certification has a Sybex book for it, and it is written by none other than Darril Gibson...

my new job will be mainly supporting XP, but they plan on updating to Windows 7 at some point, so I may consider getting that cert as well..

Amazon.com: Windows 7 Desktop Support and Administration: Real World Skills for MCITP Certification and Beyond (Exams 70-685 and 70-686) (9780470597095): Darril Gibson: Books
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Darril's book is a solid read. I just finished it and am prepping for the 685 exam.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ive seen MSPress' 685 book and it was the same size as Sybex' 685/686.
    does gibsons book contain all the info i need? just curious.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think that Darril's 685/686 book is a great way to study for the 685. It's a good idea to use more than 1 source, so I am reading the 680 and 685 MS press books for this exam as well. There is some carryover in the material you need to know.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    what's the difference in the 685 or taking the upgrade?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have Darril's book on order, would have been here tomorrow, but UPS does not delivery 3 day packages on holidays. So Ill tear into it next week, along with the 70-680 book.
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    what's the difference in the 685 or taking the upgrade?
    i believe they both reward mcts for 680 and mcts for 685. i also learned that the upgrade is 1 test with two sections. one for 680 and one for 685.

after doing my mcdst, im still wondering if i should do both 680 and 685 or the upgrade from xp..
    i dont know how i feel about trying to learn two books for one exam...icon_redface.gif

any insight on the dilemma?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    My current University has me in a class for Win 7, taking the 680, so I guess I should just take the 685 when the time comes?

I plan on knocking out MCDST before the 680
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Oh hey dude. Not sure if you are a visual learner like myself.

But vtc.com has some really good videos on 70-271, 70-272 and 70-270. I highly recommend them.

Sadly they have fallen way behind on the new stuff. And what new stuff they have is more like lectures than CBTs so they are not worth it.
    -Daniel
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Oh hey dude. Not sure if you are a visual learner like myself.

But vtc.com has some really good videos on 70-271, 70-272 and 70-270. I highly recommend them.

Sadly they have fallen way behind on the new stuff. And what new stuff they have is more like lectures than CBTs so they are not worth it.

hey good lookin out on the videos. instructed by Bill Furguson!
    gonna use this in conjunction with CBT Nuggets, MS Press and Preplogic Mega guides.

edit.... crud.. its not free. icon_sad.gif
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I think that Darril's 685/686 book is a great way to study for the 685. It's a good idea to use more than 1 source, so I am reading the 680 and 685 MS press books for this exam as well. There is some carryover in the material you need to know.

Wise decision. I tried using the MS 680 and 685 book for the 685. I didn't pass it the first time, and I haven't taken a second shot at it yet. Your absolutely correct about the carry over from both books.