What are some good 2009 exam study tools?

capitalsowncapitalsown Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can you guys recommend some study tools for the 2009 exam? I really can't find any for 2009. It would be nice if there was a "Darril Gibson's book" of Server+, but I doubt it. I really need to get past this boring cert because we aren't allowed to continue on to Cisco or Microsoft certs without Server+...

Comments

• SouljackerSouljacker Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd like this information as well. I have been browsing Amazon listings but almost all of the books are outdated and have inconsistent ratings.

It almost seems like this cert (and linux+ for that matter) are the red-headed stepchildren of the Comptia certs that no one really cares about putting quality materials out for.

Anyone else get that feeling?
  • capitalsowncapitalsown Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Souljacker wrote: »
    I'd like this information as well. I have been browsing Amazon listings but almost all of the books are outdated and have inconsistent ratings.

It almost seems like this cert (and linux+ for that matter) are the red-headed stepchildren of the Comptia certs that no one really cares about putting quality materials out for.

I get that feeling too. Although, Linux+ you really don't need materials, I don't think, because you can just stick Linux on your system and practice all the objectives instead of studying them. But Server+? Well, many people can't just go out and buy the materials you would need to actually practice the objectives in Server+.
  • edicwhunedicwhun Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would love to know some currrent resources, too. I'm eager to start reading but all the books on Amazon are dated. Like the OP said I wish Darril Gibson published a Server+ book, but oh well. I'll take anything that's recent!

Might just have to skip ahead to MS certs but I was looking forward to touching up/learning some things I might not have known. icon_sad.gif
    edicwhun wrote: »
    I would love to know some currrent resources, too. I'm eager to start reading but all the books on Amazon are dated. Like the OP said I wish Darril Gibson published a Server+ book, but oh well. I'll take anything that's recent!

Might just have to skip ahead to MS certs but I was looking forward to touching up/learning some things I might not have known. icon_sad.gif

Lol by "Darril Gibson's book" I just meant "nearly universally accepted as the best", but if Darril Gibson DID have a server+ book, well then all the better.
    Lol, my bad, I meant it in the context that I wish he wrote one for Server+ because I loved his Security+ book. His writing style is great.
    Man, Server+ seems so boring... I was really hoping to get it over with quickly, but not sure how I am going to without any decent study materials...
  • SouljackerSouljacker Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The only stuff I have found is some video training for the old test through Preplogic. Their video training is decent - I used it for Network+ (Mike Myers) and aced that exam. The Security+ videos were good as well but dry and I ended up just using Darril Gibson's book.

I don't know if they are "in-between" exams or what but this one seems to be really hard to find good materials for.
    Alright, well I didn't want to have to study this way, but I feel like I have little recourse. The head of our program wanted my friend, who is also doing Server+, to go through both set objectives: the 2005 and the 2009 objectives, and to mark all the objectives that are now gone and all the objectives that have been added. I'll just read the Wikipedia articles for the new objectives and I'll read a 2005 book for the objectives that remain. If you'd like me too, I can transpose the information to this thread.
  • shaX 07shaX 07 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Alright, well I didn't want to have to study this way, but I feel like I have little recourse. The head of our program wanted my friend, who is also doing Server+, to go through both set objectives: the 2005 and the 2009 objectives, and to mark all the objectives that are now gone and all the objectives that have been added. I'll just read the Wikipedia articles for the new objectives and I'll read a 2005 book for the objectives that remain. If you'd like me too, I can transpose the information to this thread.

Please do, I would be interested in having this info in case I decide to do Server+ soon. Thanks.
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
    Vendor Certs: Epic Client Systems Management, Epic Client Systems Management w/ Hyperspace Web
    College: B.S. - Computer Information Systems
    shaX 07 wrote: »
    Please do, I would be interested in having this info in case I decide to do Server+ soon. Thanks.

Gah. It's not worth transposing. The objectives are so vastly different it's just not worth doing. Personally, I'm going to take my chances with this book: CompTIA - Server+ (2010) Mega Guides
    It's only 4 bucks (30 dollars off on sale) at the time of writing this, and it's really the only thing I have.
    Please let me know what you think of that study material. I actually gave up on Server+ (for now) due to a lack of reference materials and am now studying for the MCITP-SA. I'd still like to get the Server+ though.
  • phonetic.manphonetic.man Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Souljacker wrote: »

Yes!

I went with CBT Nuggets because I liked their stuff for CWTS and CWNA. I couldn't find any material out there other than video from a few different companies. Plus, the Server+ stuff seemed like an extension of A+ level material. I am still going to take the test within the next 3 months.

At least the Linux+ cert has LPI behind it and fairly new material.
    Currently studying: Backup Academy, CWNA, MCSA:08, iBoss ISCP
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i bought the mega guide today
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    If you guys need some additional online resources for Server+, check out the following site:

http://www.proprofs.com/mwiki/index.php?title=Comptia_Server%2B_Certification_Exam

They have a forum dedicated to Server+ and lots of online resources. I used the resources on this site to study for Network+ and Security+ and found them to be very helpful.
    Vendor Certs: Epic Client Systems Management, Epic Client Systems Management w/ Hyperspace Web
    So my friend passed using that study guide and nothing else, which gives me confidence in it. I better get moving and pass this thing :p.
    So my friend passed using that study guide and nothing else, which gives me confidence in it. I better get moving and pass this thing :p.

Using which study guide?
    shaX 07 wrote: »
    Using which study guide?
    Gah. It's not worth transposing. The objectives are so vastly different it's just not worth doing. Personally, I'm going to take my chances with this book: CompTIA - Server+ (2010) Mega Guides
    It's only 4 bucks (30 dollars off on sale) at the time of writing this, and it's really the only thing I have.
    7charac
    That's good to hear. I just picked up this Mega Guide for $1, as they're all on sale for the next 4 days.
    Okay, that's it. I'm done. This is making me sick. No Server+ for me (at least until some real study materials come out).