Taking the 70-680 in mid february.

QuagmireQuagmire Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey,
Wanted to say thanks for the helpful info I have found on this site. I will be taking the test in February. Giving myself about a month to study for it. I am not working so this is my full time job. Gonna study about 5 hours a day. I have the MS book, the Sybex book, the MCTS book by Dan Poulton, CBT nuggets, and train signal. So I am hoping I can get this done in a month.

I am open to any and all advice so feel free to share. This will be my first Microsoft cert. I currently have an A +. Thanks again.

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to the forum!
    It will help greatly if you set up a lab. Set up a server and a couple of clients. It looks like you have plenty of study materials. There is a large errata thread on Amazon for the M$ 680 book.
  • QuagmireQuagmire Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum!
    It will help greatly if you set up a lab. Set up a server and a couple of clients. It looks like you have plenty of study materials. There is a large errata thread on Amazon for the M$ 680 book.

Yeah I saw that thanks for the heads up. I am thinking I will focus on sybex and Don Poultons books. I can't how many mistakes are in that MS book. I just bought mine and it has not been updated at all. No excuse for that.
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Good luck and have fun studying. icon_thumright.gif Please let us know later how those resources pan out for you.
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    Quagmire wrote: »
    Yeah I saw that thanks for the heads up. I am thinking I will focus on sybex and Don Poultons books. I can't how many mistakes are in that MS book. I just bought mine and it has not been updated at all. No excuse for that.

I am currently using most of the materials you will be using. Train Signal(Primary) MCTS book by Don Poulton (Primary) and CBT nuggets(Secondary) and labs. I use Professor Messer videos as a review, you can check those out but CBT nuggets AND Train signal should be all the video training you need. If I keep up to my pace I should be sitting for the exam by the end of this week.

Like you this is my first Microsoft cert coming off of CompTIA certs. After i take the test, I will try to post a detailed response as to how effective everything was. Good luck in your studies and definitely get some labs done.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    hows dan poultons book in comparision to the sybex?
    i plan on taking the 680 sometime before or in the summer. And will definitely not be using the MS press book if they dont come out with 2nd edition by then?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • TrainSignalEricTrainSignalEric Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck! Practice, practice, practice and make sure you try out those practice exams as well. Can't wait to hear how it goes.
  • QuagmireQuagmire Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looking forward to a detailed review of the test. I have read about half the sybex book and just started the Poulton book. I will say I like the layout and flow of the Poulton book. I don't think I can compare them fairly yet. I will say that I read the majority of the MS book and it stinks. It does have some good info but the flow is disjointed and I was really annoyed with the mistakes. In the back of my head I kept thinking is what I am reading right? I kept referring to the errata file and finally just said forget it. I will stick to the other books. Also the train signal vids I am using are for the MCITP server 2008 which I think ties in nicely. Will keep you all updated and GOOD LUCK to us all.

P.S. Wanted to add I purchased the MS book in November on Amazon and it still had all the errors. Just an FYI.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'll second the info on Don's 70-680 book. The flow is very easy, a good read on the Kindle. I just got the MS 680 book after Christmas, and mine too still has the errors in it.
  • TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I'll second the info on Don's 70-680 book. The flow is very easy, a good read on the Kindle. I just got the MS 680 book after Christmas, and mine too still has the errors in it.

I second this. I feel as if i could read this entire book in a day if I had the time. Only 3 chapters left to go then I sit for the exam.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• zdqzdq Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm also "targeting" mid-February as the date for my next 70-680 attempt (3rd one) ...
    Currently reviewing the material using MS book, Darril Gibson's 70-685/686 book and CBT Nuggets videos - should be enough (I hope) icon_rolleyes.gif
    I will probably have a look into Professor Messer's videos as well.