Options

Server+ before MS Server 2003/2008 exams?

badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
I don't have strong experience with servers.. Should I be taking Server+ before even thinking about taking any MCSA/MCITP:SA exams??
2011 Certification Plans so far:
[Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
[MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
[Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
[CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    badboyeee wrote: »
    I don't have strong experience with servers.. Should I be taking Server+ before even thinking about taking any MCSA/MCITP:SA exams??

IMO, I would say "Yes" to gain a more well rounded knowledge of servers. However the Server+ and the MCITP: SA/MCSA covers different objectives, Server+ deals more with the hardware (does have a little software), the MCITP: SA/MCSA deals with the OS and Microsoft environments - no hardware.

-ken
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Was just thinking of this as well. I plan on trying to get actual server hardware (a pair of power edges) to run my VMs on. I figure I may as well at least glance over this stuff and see what I can learn in addition to the MS stuff. I may not even sit the test but i'd like to learn a bit more about the type of hardware they use just for my own personal needs.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I would read the material to build a foundation, but I don't know that I'd prep for the exam. I don't think I've ever seen Server+ listed as a desired qualification for a job. I'm sure it contains valuable information, but I wouldn't drop the cash on the exam if you're planning to move right into a M$ certification path.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    xenodamus wrote: »
    I would read the material to build a foundation, but I don't know that I'd prep for the exam. I don't think I've ever seen Server+ listed as a desired qualification for a job. I'm sure it contains valuable information, but I wouldn't drop the cash on the exam if you're planning to move right into a M$ certification path.

Agreed. Go ahead and read the material but don't take the test. It's a useless certification to have.
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Thanks for the replies, yeah I won't waste money on this cert. I'll probably pick up a Server+ book at a local library and skim through it. Checked out the objectives, I don't think I would have a problem with server hardware, seems rather A+'ish to me. It's Windows Server OS and Active Directory I need to learn. Checked out a few MS books on AD (for 70-640?) @ BN over the weekend, seems rather complicating.. Need to find some intro resources, preferably CBT's and labs I can do to learn AD...
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agreed. Go ahead and read the material but don't take the test. It's a useless certification to have.

What is the value of this certification? The material sounds pretty solid based on what was previously mentioned, but employers are not really looking for this certification?