Options

Thanks for advice on putting together a lab BUT...?

mjonesmjones Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok, I am a newbie I do have the A+ and Network+ and more than a general understanding of the concept of Networking but still need help trying to put this lab together (so please work with me). I went to the Cisco website and looked at their products, and noticed that the 2950 switches stated "END OF LIFE"? I do not want to purchase something that is/will no longer be valid. (Is this true)? Also, I had to navigate their (Cisco) site just to find that information out.

I noticed that they mention their 2960 series, is this now in place or the replacement of the 2950? Is the 2960 more than what I need? Someone please explain IOS 12.4? Do I purchase that separately or does it come installed on the switch (and what switch)?

What switches and routers (and other components) WILL I need to have full knowledge/understanding to pass the CCNA exam.

Here is the cheapest brand I saw for the 2960 series:

Cisco Catalyst 2960-24TC-S - switch - 24 ports - managed - rack-mountable

Is that more than what I need?

I really do not want ANY outdated equipment PERIOD. I want the latest and minimum amount of equipment to hone my skills.

Any and all responses are welcome.

Thank You

MJones

By the way I went to the CDW site and they do not even SELL any 2950 switches.

Comments

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Most lab equipment is EOL. There is a market for EOL/used equipment, and if you buy routers/switches for your lab their value lies in helping you complete the CCNA/CCNP/CCIE objectives. The 12.4 IOS has all of the features you would need to complete these objectives. Who buys this old junk? People like you and me trying to get certified. There thousands of us across the world.

If you are looking at the equipment you buy in terms of monetary value, these devices all hold value because there are ALOT of people out there trying to build labs! If you really want the biggest bang for your buck, try to buy routers and switches that will carry you BEYOND the CCNA (if you plan to go past that). Does that make sense?

As an example, I have two model 1721 Cisco routers. They are great for completing CCNA objectives and CCNA:Security. They maybe have some use for CCNP, but I don't know too much about that yet :D

On the other hand, if you were to buy a Cisco 3524 switch, this would work well for Cisco Voice labs, and routing and switching all the way up to CCIE!

Now the 1721 routers cost me $30 a year ago. A 3524 switch goes for around $135, but they are more useful to a broader audience of people doing labs for certifications.

EDIT: Additional info - when you buy used equipment always make sure of the IOS that comes on your router. http://www.freeccnaworkbook.com/labs/section-1-getting-started-with-your-cisco-lab/lab-1-3-identifying-cisco-router-and-switch-software/ < this link will help you understand the different IOS versions. The Cisco experts on these forums (I'm not one of them) recommend IOS version 12.4. Presumably because it has some feature that will allow you to do certain labs that maybe earlier IOS versions won't.

Sorry if I didn't fully answer your questions, I stick to what I mostly know. Hopefully others will chime in.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    You can ask most resellers on ebay what ios version comes with the equipment they are selling. Also a good place to check is cablesandkits.com for used equipment. also checkout ciscokits.com. as far as end of life the 2950 may be old but at the end of the day it is still a working switch that will do everthing you need for ccent/ccna.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    johnwest43 wrote: »
    You can ask most resellers on ebay what ios version comes with the equipment they are selling. Also a good place to check is cablesandkits.com for used equipment. also checkout ciscokits.com. as far as end of life the 2950 may be old but at the end of the day it is still a working switch that will do everthing you need for ccent/ccna.

+1 icon_thumright.gif

I'm a big fan of: CablesAndKits.com