Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    erpadmin wrote: »
    When you start WGU, you will have what's called an EWB (Education Without Boundaries) course. This is pretty much the equivalent of a freshman orientation course. In that course, you will learn about the Course of Study (CoS) [and among other items that they will cover about WGU like the communities, mentors, etc.] that you will want to look at for your classes. In your CoS you will see what book you need for your classes and the ISBN. The ISBN for the LET1 one book is 0132431564 (Organizational Behavior by S. Robbins and T. Judge, 12th Edition). The book is up to the 14th Edition now, but it is recommended that you stick with the 12th Edition (unless, of course, the CoS changes for you and now requires the newer edition.)

For textbooks, I use a site called College Books - Buy College Textbooks Online - Compare Textbook Prices and get a list that's aggregated from book selling sites that will have books from .99 to almost $200 for brand new. Sometimes Amazon will have good deals, most of the time you'll find them on eBay.

My book is already slated to someone else, as I said, when I'm done with LET1/ORC1 (they use the same one). If he got the book elsewhere or something, I will ask one of you guys who may need it before I sell it to the rest of the world.

Ok fantastic. I wasn't sure if the COS would reference which book you would need. Thanks for the ISBN, i'll keep an eye out for it over the coming months and see if I can pick it up on a nice deal.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When you start WGU, you will have what's called an EWB (Education Without Boundaries) course. This is pretty much the equivalent of a freshman orientation course. In that course, you will learn about the Course of Study (CoS) [and among other items that they will cover about WGU like the communities, mentors, etc.] that you will want to look at for your classes. In your CoS you will see what book you need for your classes and the ISBN. The ISBN for the LET1 one book is 0132431564 (Organizational Behavior by S. Robbins and T. Judge, 12th Edition). The book is up to the 14th Edition now, but it is recommended that you stick with the 12th Edition (unless, of course, the CoS changes for you and now requires the newer edition.)

For textbooks, I use a site called College Books - Buy College Textbooks Online - Compare Textbook Prices and get a list that's aggregated from book selling sites that will have books from .99 to almost $200 for brand new. Sometimes Amazon will have good deals, most of the time you'll find them on eBay.

My book is already slated to someone else, as I said, when I'm done with LET1/ORC1 (they use the same one). If he got the book elsewhere or something, I will ask one of you guys who may need it before I sell it to the rest of the world.

I wonder who :) I am leaving in three weeks my friend. Got a job in Arizona.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    thenjduke wrote: »
    I wonder who :) I am leaving in three weeks my friend. Got a job in Arizona.

I saw man...congratulations!

I am shooting to have ORC1 out of the way in the first week of February...once I'm done with that exam, I will sell you the book at what I paid for.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    yea im talking to my mentor to get the test for orc1 just a few areas to brush up on before i go

love lowish cut score classes
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    yea im talking to my mentor to get the test for orc1 just a few areas to brush up on before i go

love lowish cut score classes

Those "lowish cut score" competencies are student-friendly, but tarnish the program's reputation. I hope they fix that.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    Those "lowish cut score" competencies are student-friendly, but tarnish the program's reputation. I hope they fix that.

WGU, as a competency-based university, defines competency as the ability to perform a job/role to defined, established standards in the real world. In other words, a graduate who possesses the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to be successful on the first day at work is deemed competent. Thus, competent graduates are those who are conversant with the content of the domains of knowledge and skill of their particular degree program and are ready to succeed in the working world. Psychometricians at WGU have translated competency into proactive assessment development processes and procedures to ensure passing scores are consistent with our intended interpretation. With “C” being a minimal level, and thus one not assuring competency, WGU equates competency with the grade level of “B.”

We set passing standards (cut scores) for our competency exams using the Modified Angoff approach. We use the Modified Angoff approach because it is a standardized method for setting passing standards that meets all applicable national testing standards for fairness, is consistent with the type of scoring interpretations we use at WGU, and meets legal defensibility requirements. In this method, we organize workshops of Subject Matter Experts (SME) who know about the content of the exam and are familiar with first-day-on-the-job practitioners in the given field(s). During the workshop these SME judges determine the difficulty of each test item, i.e., the proportion of competent graduates who would correctly answer each test item. Standard setting judges are taught to visualize a group of competent graduates—analogous to those with a B average. By way of comparison, we contrast this group with a “minimally qualified” person who may (or may not) succeed on their first day at work (a C student) and an experienced or expert worker (an A student). In this way, our competency exam passing standards (cut scores) can be interpreted as the score that would be achieved by competent graduates—those who would likely finish a traditional program with a "B" average.

We set standards for Performance Task, laboratory, observation, clinical, and portfolio assessments using the “B” grade analogy above. Passing for these assessments is always set such that candidates must score at the level of “3” on a four-point scale, or the equivalent.

It's worth noting too that the PMP, CAPM from PMI also uses the Modified Angoff method as cited in this book (only reliable source I could find) Amazon.com: 0324786921: Books

If Angoff wasn't a good model for grading, it wouldn't be used, I don't think...if 50% is considered a "B" to prove competence by SMEs in that subject....it can't be such a bad deal.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510

. . .
    If Angoff wasn't a good model for grading, it wouldn't be used, I don't think...if 50% is considered a "B" to prove competence by SMEs in that subject....it can't be such a bad deal.

Ok, you sold me. Whomped me over the head with an oversized book. :D
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    Ok, you sold me. Whomped me over the head with an oversized book. :D

Truth is not fact...it's what you can sell.

If you can sell it...it can be true.

icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    eansdad wrote: »
    My guess would be that Taskstream does not employee teachers just people that go through the material with a set of rules and a rubric to check against. I think it would be funny if they take everything we send them then sell them on some research paper website...lol

I agree. My first taskstream project would have probably pulled in a D if a teacher graded it. It covered all the requirements but it really did not flow well.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    citinerd wrote: »
    I agree. My first taskstream project would have probably pulled in a D if a teacher graded it. It covered all the requirements but it really did not flow well.

Which is why I am not a fan of rubrics. An English teacher friend of mine and I were discussing rubrics and he hit the head on the nail with the fact that rubrics don't grade on content only the guidelines set out in the rubric. He told me about a few student finals that he wished he could have failed but couldn't because of the rubric grading.
  • Options
    RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    I messed around after high school for 25 years, but I guess earning my Bachelors by 45 is better than never. :D

I am the same age. It does feel really good to be on track for the paper finally.
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
  • Options
    I really like the Lab Sim for BGV1 (CCNA). It's alot of material and taking some time to get through (already at 50 hours) but they explain things very well and the subnetting explation has finally let me figure subnets in my head which is something I always found cool when someone did it. I know thats pretty geeky but I have been called worse.

I found some errors and you should have the book for verification if your sure they are wrong. But nothing with this much info is ever perfect.

Just be prepared when you get to this one. Its a ton of info and more than an inch deep. The network sim software is good too. I can take my laptop and practice when I am out of the house so thats a plus. I also have an equipment lab setup with another bunch of labs. I dont want to get into the debate on wether you should use lab equipment or sim software to pass so I will leave it at that.

I would say that this course and INC1 have been the most challenging for me, but this one is a heck of a lot more fun. Nothing quite like a sucessful ping after troubleshooting or setting up a new protocol.

This is one class you can look forward to. I'll let you all know how I do on the test but still have some serious studying to do.

• Options
    has any one else had issues with the test sec. department?

i asked to take a test on a thursday, monday or tuesday and they put it for a friday

is that the norm?
  • Options

i asked to take a test on a thursday, monday or tuesday and they put it for a friday

is that the norm?

I usually get the first date I want, unless it's toward the end of the month. I would give those folks a call and get it straightened out. I had to, and they are usually very good at that and very polite.
  • Options

is that the norm?

I had the same prob with almost every test I tried. One time they did this they actually called to see if it was ok. You have to remember spots are limited and if scheduling toward the end of the month the are alot of people trying to finish courses before thier term ends.

• Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I really like the Lab Sim for BGV1 (CCNA). It's alot of material and taking some time to get through (already at 50 hours) but they explain things very well and the subnetting explation has finally let me figure subnets in my head which is something I always found cool when someone did it. I know thats pretty geeky but I have been called worse.

I am using the same for the CCENT and it seems pretty good. WGU still uses the CCNA labsim for the CCENT but you only use a few modules and you get no simulation software which I don't like. For some reason in the COS for the CCENT they do not have you go through the Subnetting section.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I am using the same for the CCENT and it seems pretty good. WGU still uses the CCNA labsim for the CCENT but you only use a few modules and you get no simulation software which I don't like. For some reason in the COS for the CCENT they do not have you go through the Subnetting section.

Let me ask a question actually. I start in March and I figured while i've got the spare time i'll go ahead and study for CCENT to try and knock it out first term. What do I have to demonstrate to them to prove that I know the material to take the test?
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Let me ask a question actually. I start in March and I figured while i've got the spare time i'll go ahead and study for CCENT to try and knock it out first term. What do I have to demonstrate to them to prove that I know the material to take the test?

That is a question for your mentor. Every mentor is different. Mine nothing, others may have to pass examforce, labsim, etc.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That is a question for your mentor. Every mentor is different. Mine nothing, others may have to pass examforce, labsim, etc.

Hmm, no mentor yet. Guess i'll have to get other things worked out. I seriously hope I get one that isn't all adamant about me taking all the Gen-ed stuff right away. I've got a class plan that i'd like to follow, if they're not willing to let me do that, i'll have to say thanks but no thanks. I'm not going to work on someone elses schedule for this type of thing.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Hmm, no mentor yet. Guess i'll have to get other things worked out. I seriously hope I get one that isn't all adamant about me taking all the Gen-ed stuff right away. I've got a class plan that i'd like to follow, if they're not willing to let me do that, i'll have to say thanks but no thanks. I'm not going to work on someone elses schedule for this type of thing.

My mentor Todd just approves the request for the voucher. I have not let him down yet though.
  • Options

Trust me, it's not like that (at least with my mentor). It is supposed to be a very collaborative relationship. My mentor was a bit unsure in the beginning about letting me take Security+ in my first 12 CUs, but I told him flat out that I wanted to take it before the end of the year and I had already started reading for it. The only classes you [shouldn't] take in the beginning and you probably will get denied would be the Tech Writing and Capstone. Everything else is pretty much open to what you're comfortable doing.

If your mentor gives you a hard time, don't quit the program, just call Student Services and ask for getting a new mentor and explain why. I'm almost sure though that it won't come to that though. :)
  • Options
    citinerd wrote: »
    My mentor Todd just approves the request for the voucher. I have not let him down yet though.

For Project+, it was the same deal....my mentor has started to believe... :)
  • Options
    uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    My Masters mentor was kind of like that at the beginning. She was pretty strict on me staying exactly with the COS. Since then I've finished the 3rd course in 3 weeks and am half way through the 4th in roughly a week. Since then she has relaxed quite a bit.

This program should be closer to an MBA on difficulty. If you are motivated 12 - 18 months should be doable. I hope to pick up one more course before the term ends and possibly finish all the core courses before 2nd term ends. That leaves the 3rd term for the capstone.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • Options

Agreed. I have never had to prove anything to my mentor. I just request the voucher and go on my way. It may be that I transferred in 5 certs and she knows that I have been down the road before. She usually likes to see them for the non certification classes which I would take anyway so I know where I am at personally.
    WGU grad
  • Options

Also, Hypntick if the mentor doesn't fit your style you always have the ability to ask for a change of mentor. I am through my first semester and my weekly mentor calls are down to 10 minutes. I basically have dictated what classes I wanted to take. Basically not going by their schedule and there hasn't been an issue with that. Personally I like to mix in some certs with some generals just to mix it up a bit. But like erpadmin said it may take a few months for your mentor to understand your learning style. Of course it helps if you are erpadmin and get 12 credits done in the first month!
    WGU grad
  • Options
    I would like to add again that Examforce is terrible. For some reason I decided to install the engine for the CCENT and it was terrible.

Control Panel--->Programs and Features--->Uninstall icon_thumright.gif
    WGU grad
  • Options
    I would like to add again that Examforce is terrible. For some reason I decided to install the engine for the CCENT and it was terrible.

Control Panel--->Programs and Features--->Uninstall icon_thumright.gif

true i prefer the labsims
  • Options
    serak123serak123 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow, I start college at WGU tomorrow. I am so excited and glad I found this forum. I was able to transfer my certs which allowed me to not have to take any IT classes. Well, I only have the project plus, the web and the java. I will be able to focus on the general education. This is a great opportunity.
  • Options
    serak123 wrote: »
    Wow, I start college at WGU tomorrow. I am so excited and glad I found this forum. I was able to transfer my certs which allowed me to not have to take any IT classes. Well, I only have the project plus, the web and the java. I will be able to focus on the general education. This is a great opportunity.

Welcome and you should be finished in no time.

• Options
    Of course it helps if you are erpadmin and get 12 credits done in the first month!

icon_redface.gif It was a shock to my whole system when that happened. But I don't think that's a record, from what I see here and the communities. I think I'm my mentors record though...

You were so right about LAT1...that was a rough month getting everything together for that class.

I'm so excited about tomorrow...second term!! :D