Passed thanks to encouragement from Techexams members

MattSCMattSC Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed Security+ this afternoon and owe a big thank you to the members of this forum.

I had intended on taking a local college class this semester geared towards the Sec+ objectives and then attempting the test this summer. When I stumbled onto this site and saw the number of success stories just from using Darril Gibson's book, I figured I'd go for it. As a result, I've earned the certification before starting the class!

The grammar and spelling of the questions were better than I expected after reading the reports here, but I did find a few errors. I was surprised, however, at the number of questions that I found vague, unfamiliar or that caused me to second-guess myself. I'm aware of the sample/beta questions, but it was less a case of seeing unfamiliar terms and more about difficulty with subjects that seem to be part of the current objectives. Of course, part of that could be contributed to taking the real test, where the stakes are higher, versus a practice test, where guessing had no consequences.

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You're welcome.

Oh, and Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif

What have you got planned next?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif yah would've been a waste a time to take a class, DG's book is the way to go.
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • MattSCMattSC Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    You're welcome.

Oh, and Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif

What have you got planned next?

Well, I'm enrolled in classes that start soon for Exchange 2007, Server 2008, Active Directory and Linux+. I've probably bitten off more than I can chew, but the courses are relatively cheap and will give me more structure than self-study. I figure I can always drop any that are too overwhelming or uninteresting.

C|EH, and CCSP/CISSP have my attention also but I may put them on the back burner if I am able to pick up some momentum with the MCITP series. My jobs have always been general IT or a one-man show, so it would be hard to fulfill the CISSP experience requirement at this stage anyway.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass! Please tell me you are not taking all those courses simultaneously.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • MattSCMattSC Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass! Please tell me you are not taking all those courses simultaneously.

The first four, yes. Not any of the security ones though. The classes seem to rely heavily on Testout and are spaced over the length of a semester. It's an aggressive plan, but I'm going to start here and adjust as needed. I regret not sticking with it before. I attended an online MCSA boot camp years ago and learned some practical items but never followed through with any of the tests.