Confusion about the MCDST Retirement (Website could be wrong)!!!!

steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
According to the MS Certification Guidance Team, the MCDST is expiring 3/31 instead of 6/31.

Here's the email that I got from them:

"I’m sorry, but there currently is a discrepancy on the website regarding the retirement date and unfortunately, we do not have a resolution at this time. Therefore, you will need to complete the MCDST exams 70-271 and 70-272 before March 31, 2011."

This drastically changes my exam schedule, but I just wanted to pass it along to everyone!

For what it's worth, here's the link to the current retirement schedule.

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    steve13ad wrote: »
    According to the MS Certification Guidance Team, the MCDST is expiring 3/31 instead of 6/31.

Here's the email that I got from them:

"I’m sorry, but there currently is a discrepancy on the website regarding the retirement date and unfortunately, we do not have a resolution at this time. Therefore, you will need to complete the MCDST exams 70-271 and 70-272 before March 31, 2011."

This drastically changes my exam schedule, but I just wanted to pass it along to everyone!

For what it's worth, here's the link to the current retirement schedule.

Wow thanks for the update!
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Wow thanks for the update!

I've found the 6/31 date listed several other places (one of them being, Born to Learn). So I'm going to wait a couple of days and try chatting with them again. Hopefully I'll get a different agent, who'll have a different/better answer.
  • Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info! Keep us updated with what you hear. I know this is going to throw a wrench in the works for a bunch of people here.
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is just ugly, don't they know how to update thier info???
  • billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    You might want to speak with a different operator, I'm just off the phone in the U.K and it's definately a June retirement date for us in the EMEA region.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Armor149 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info! Keep us updated with what you hear. I know this is going to throw a wrench in the works for a bunch of people here.

Don't just sit back and let him do all of the work. We should all be contacting them so that they know how huge of a deal this is.

Update: I just sent off an email to mcphelp@microsoft.com to see what they say about the retirement date. I will post a reply when I get one.
    Decide what to be and go be it.

Just an FYI to you, your 70-621 exam that you mention is your signature does expire on 3/31. That is the upgrade exam from MCDST to Vista. If you can't make that date, you might just consider the 70-682 to upgrade your MCDST to Windows 7.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Just an FYI to you, your 70-621 exam that you mention is your signature does expire on 3/31. That is the upgrade exam from MCDST to Vista. If you can't make that date, you might just consider the 70-682 to upgrade your MCDST to Windows 7.

Be aware that you can take this exam even if you don't have the MCDST. You will not get the credential though until (maybe even UNLESS) you receive the MCDST designation.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    good to know, but i still plan on having mine done before 3/31 regardless
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Ok, this is what I got from Microsoft this morning:

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding MCDST certification exam retirement.

We would be happy to assist you. Exams 70-271 & 70-272 will get retire on 06/30/11 and not on 03/31/11, candidate will be able to register and take the exam till 06/30/11.Certifications you have earned remain valid even if qualifying exams have been retired. When an exam you passed is retired, your transcript retains the record of the exam and identifies the exam as retired."

So has anyone else heard anything?
  • billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    Stranger and stranger, I just received the following today:

Hello Billy,

Thank you for contacting the Microsoft Certification Guidance Team.

I understand that you’re inquiring with regards to the retirement date of the MCDST exams.
    I’m sorry Billy, but there currently is a discrepancy on the website regarding the retirement date and unfortunately, we do not have a resolution at this time. Therefore, you will need to complete the MCDST exams 70-271 and 70-272 before March 31, 2011.
    We hope the information we are providing in this email addresses your question. Please contact our Microsoft Certification Guidance Team for additional guidance regarding technical certification and training. You may email us directly at mscgt@microsoft.com, or visit our Microsoft Learning website.

Thank you,
    Marvin
    Microsoft Certification Guidance Team
    mscgt@microsoft.com
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ok this is quite confusing.

when exactly does this expire? this is definitely going to ruin people's certification plans. im starting a spring semester in college and hope it doesnt expire in march!
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    oh boy...
    > Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 15:10:23 -0800
    > From: mcphelp@microsoft.com
    > To: me
    > Subject: Re: Retirement of MCDST (KMM20573588V83373L0KM)
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello Devilsbane,
    >
    > Thank you for your e-mail regarding MCDST certification.
    >
    > We would be happy to assist you and would like to inform you that the MCDST certification exams are retiring on June 30, 2011.
    >
    > If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know. Thank you for contacting Microsoft.
    >
    >
    > Maninder
    > MCPHelp@microsoft.com
    > Online Computer Training | Computer Certification | Microsoft Learning
    >
    > Message received date: 1/25/11
    > Original sender: Me
    > Case ID: BIS-7795101
    >
    > If you need any further assistance with this specific query, please reference the Case ID above when contacting us.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Original Message Follows:
    > Hello there,
    >
    > It has been published for quite some time that the 70-271 and 70-272 (core exams for the MCDST) will be retiring on 6/30/10. Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certification Exam Development
    >
    > Recently I have started hearing rumors that this is a mistake and that both exams will actually be retiring on 3/31/10. Can you verify for me the date when these exams will be retired?
    >
    > Thank you.

I think I'm going to forward this to the mscgt@microsoft.com address and see what response I get back from that.

EDIT: Message forwarded.
    sent emails to mcphelp and mscgt@microsoft.com. i will post updates when i get replies.
    ugh i seriously doubt i can do both exams before march 31st if thats the case.......

starting a live chat right now. will update
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    sent emails to mcphelp and mscgt@microsoft.com. i will post updates when i get replies.
    ugh i seriously doubt i can do both exams before march 31st if thats the case.......

I guess it varies heavily on your experience level, but worst case scenario you still have a little over 9 weeks before they would expire. That is plenty of time to study for and pass 2 exams, not to mention it looks like you have already started on the 271. If you put in the time, you can still get the achievement.

You have A+ and Net+ already, plus I'm willing to bet you have been a user of XP for years. All of that is going to factor into studying for these tests. Just don't dilly daddle.
    well i just got off of live chat with MS. (i suggest other members try this)

a representative said that there has been a lot of inquiries over this matter within the past couple of days and told me that the exam STILL retires on June 30th!icon_cheers.gif He said due to discrepancies on the website they have been contacted many times.

well it looks like i can study in peace now.
    @ Devilsbane, yes i know but i am also starting a college semester whereas i was not in school while studying for Comptia exams. Also, im taking a math course! and i havent touched math in maybe 3 years.

ill post a reply once i get my email responses.
    maybe somebody can try the live chat here?
    Certification Training Help | Microsoft Support | Contact Microsoft Learning
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    how weird, I'm just going to try to knock them out prior to 3/31 just to be safe
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Devilsbane wrote: »

Actually that's why I emailed MS to begin this whole thing. I wanted to confirm that I could take 621 before the 271/272. In the response to my email, it was buried that MCDST could/would retire 3/31. So hopped on the MS chat & got this:

Jeffrey: Thank you for verifying that information. Based on the information that I have here, the exams will be retiring on June 30, 2011
    Jeffrey: Microsoft retires certifications when mainstream support for the related technology is discontinued. This is one of the reasons why we always want to refer people to certifications with the latest version of the technology.

& Then I re-verified

Jeffrey: Not to worry. This matter has already been brought to our attention. Right now, the official word is that these exams will be retiring on 06/30/11 and not on 03/31/11

So I guess crisis adverted!! But I'm still gonna try for 621 & 271/272 before 3/31.
    Actually that's why I emailed MS to begin this whole thing. I wanted to confirm that I could take 621 before the 271/272. In the response to my email, it was buried that MCDST could/would retire 3/31. So hopped on the MS chat & got this:

Jeffrey: Thank you for verifying that information. Based on the information that I have here, the exams will be retiring on June 30, 2011
    Jeffrey: Microsoft retires certifications when mainstream support for the related technology is discontinued. This is one of the reasons why we always want to refer people to certifications with the latest version of the technology.

& Then I re-verified

Jeffrey: Not to worry. This matter has already been brought to our attention. Right now, the official word is that these exams will be retiring on 06/30/11 and not on 03/31/11

So I guess crisis adverted!! But I'm still gonna try for 621 & 271/272 before 3/31.

i also talked to jeffrey! cool fella.
    its a big 'whew' to me. hopefully i get the same response in my inbox tomorrow. icon_thumright.gif
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    I've been on edge the last couple of days as well. Didn't know I needed to concentrate on the 271/272 and just forget the 621.

But I emailed myself a copy of the chat and printed off a PDF, and a hard copy for my records, just in case.

I'm trying to psych myself up to start on the 70-621. But I can't find any study materials for the 621. I guess I'll have to peruse the 620/622 guides.
    I'm trying to psych myself up to start on the 70-621. But I can't find any study materials for the 621. I guess I'll have to peruse the 620/622 guides.

yeah its a combination of the two. so there isnt a study guide. the 621 comprises of two testlets each with their own time limit. its basically two mini tests in one exam.
    dont take my word for it, but i know the 682(win7 upgrade) is set up that way. and there isnt a book for it.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    Microsoft 70-621: Windows Vista PRO

$299 for the course, otherwise you could sign up for the streaming. At $199/month, that could buy you a month and a half. So then you could glance through the 70-271 and 70-272 nuggets as well.

Never done any videos with Warner, so I can't vouch for how good these are.
    I actually splurged and got the 70-620 & 70-622 Preplogic $1 Mega Guides. I'm reading over them and trying to get the foundations.

I never realized that you could get monthly access to the CBTs for a flat fee. How are they delivered, some proprietary player?
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you guys seen VTC.com? In some cases they are as good as CBT Nuggets but for $30/month.
    Streaming over the web using silverlight.

$199/month or $1,599/year

They will also allow you to use past purchases to help foot the bill. I bought the MCSA pack for $399 and tried a month of streaming for $199. Then all I had to pay was $901 for the remaining 11 months (it was $1,499 per year at the time).
    more good news

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding MCDST certification.

The Official retiring date for the exams 70-271 and 70-272 (exams required for the MCDST certification) has been forwarded from 31 March 2011 to 30 June 2011. The 30 June 2011 is the Correct and Official date from Microsoft.

You can take these exams till the 30 June 2011, after which they will be retired.

Thank you for contacting Microsoft.

Sumit
    MCPHelp@microsoft.com
    Online Computer Training | Computer Certification | Microsoft Learning
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    Finally!!!!!!! I have a consensus within Microsoft, now have a confirmation from both ms[EMAIL="mscgt@microsoft"]cgt@microsoft[/EMAIL].com and the mcphelp@micrsoft.com.

Hello Jon,

I understand that you’re inquiring with regards to the retirement date of the MCDST exams.

We’re sorry for the confusion, Jon. The retirement date for the MCDST exams has been moved to June 30, 2011. Candidates will be able to to take the MCDST exams until that date. You may visit the Exam Development page for further information regarding exam retirement.

If you have further questions regarding Microsoft certifications, please contact us again. Have a great day!

We hope the information we are providing in this email addresses your question. Please contact our Microsoft Certification Guidance Team for additional guidance regarding technical certification and training. You may email us directly at mscgt@microsoft.com, or visit our Microsoft Learning website.

Thank you,
    Katherine Navarro
    mscgt@microsoft.com

Oh well, time to go take the 70-272 here in a couple hours and hopefully pass. Then I will finally be MCDST and off the bigger and better things.
    I think it is safe to say the date is June. I got my response just now.
    To: Me
    Subject: Microsoft Certification Guidance Team Response
    Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 16:48:30 +0000

Hello Devilsbane,

We’re sorry for the confusion regarding this matter. We’re happy to inform you that the retirement date for the MCDST exams 70-271 and 70-271 have been moved to June 30, 2011. Candidates will be able to register and take the exams until June 30, 2011 .Certifications you have earned remain valid even if qualifying exams have been retired. When an exam you passed is retired, your transcript retains the record of the exam and identifies the exam as retired.

You may also visit the Microsoft Exam Development page for further information about reitring exams.

If you have further questions regarding Microsoft certifications, please contact us again. Have a great day!

Thank you,
    Katherine Navarro
    mscgt@microsoft.com
    cleardot.gifcleardot.gifMicrosoft_Certification_Guidance_Team (mcgt)

to me
    show details 11:51 AM (14 minutes ago)

Hello Michael,

I understand that you’re inquiring when the MCDST exams will retire.

We’re sorry for the confusion regarding this matter. We’re happy to inform you that the retirement date for the MCDST exams 70-271 and 70-271 have been moved to June 30, 2011. Candidates will be able to register and take the exams until June 30, 2011 .Certifications you have earned remain valid even if qualifying exams have been retired. When an exam you passed is retired, your transcript retains the record of the exam and identifies the exam as retired.

You may also visit the Microsoft Exam Development page for further information about reitring exams.

Thank you,
    Katherine Navarro
    mscgt@microsoft.com

katherine must be having an easy day today.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    cleardot.gif
    katherine must be having an easy day today.

Yep, copy and paste the same typo over and over...
    cleardot.gifWe’re happy to inform you that the retirement date for the MCDST exams 70-271 and 70-271 have been moved to June 30, 2011.