Book or another resource...

Well, im in my 2nd term at WGU, and ive hit the wall that is ABV1, A.K.A. 70-680 exam. The only resource that they give you, is Labsim, and while it is a very good resource, im finding that I seriously need another resource to get through, and eventually be able to take and pass this exam. Is the consensus that the MCTP books by McClean and Thomas the best books to get ? Here is a link to it on amazon:

Amazon.com: MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680): Configuring Windows 7 (9780735627086): Ian McLean, Orin Thomas: Books

Opinions? Also, im going to invest in the mega guides on the preplogic site, just have to pull the trigger on those today or tomorrow. Any feedback would be great!

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The MS 680 is alright, just be sure to check the errata threads. You could try Don Poulson's book, I haven't read it, but have good things about it. You might also try Darril Gibson's 680/686 book. The portions relating to the 686 should help you out.
  • michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    Well, im in my 2nd term at WGU, and ive hit the wall that is ABV1, A.K.A. 70-680 exam. The only resource that they give you, is Labsim

I'm planning on starting WGU March 1st and have been working on 70-680 with the hope of getting it done before I start. I'm reading Don Poulton's book. I think I understand most of it, other than the deployment chapters... I still need to setup a lab and looked at Labsim but didn't' want to pay for it... so I guess if I'm not done by March 1st, I'll start that at WGU.

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    +1 for Poulton's book. A very easy read.

For a buck, the preplogic mega guide is not a bad investment, but do not rely on it totally.
  • RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    Hi, I was just wondering if all the 70-XXX (640,642,643,647,680) exams still transferable to WGU at this time? Any changes with any of these on the horizon?

Thanks!
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi, I was just wondering if all the 70-XXX (640,642,643,647,680) exams still transferable to WGU at this time? Any changes with any of these on the horizon?

Thanks!
    Transferable IT Certifications
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    michaelcox wrote: »
    I still need to setup a lab and looked at Labsim but didn't' want to pay for it... so I guess if I'm not done by March 1st, I'll start that at WGU.

You could use the MS Virtual PC. Get a copy of the 90 Enterprise evaluation.
    Windows 7 Enterprise | Trial, Evaluation, Test, Download

Server 2008 R2 evaluation
    Download Windows Server 2008 R2 today

90 days should be enough time to get through labbing you'll need.
  • michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    Psoasman wrote: »
    You could use the MS Virtual PC. Get a copy of the 90 Enterprise evaluation.
    Windows 7 Enterprise | Trial, Evaluation, Test, Download

Server 2008 R2 evaluation
    Download Windows Server 2008 R2 today

90 days should be enough time to get through labbing you'll need.

thanks. I thought about that too. can a virtualPC do a network boot for deployment?

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4