OEM customer support does it again! (sarcasm)

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well after getting my HP computer back, my front audio jack started having issues yet again (which was one of the things that they were supposed to fix.) I decided to try to confirm if it was a cable issue as I suspected and jiggled the audio dongle cable, and it works for now. I then contact HP customer support asking for a replacement front port dongle (why did I even bother lol?), and they start insisting that it's a motherboard issue. . . Time to demand a case manager.
Is OEM support always this bad lol?

Comments

• BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've had my issues with HP as well. I sent a machine in for a bad motherboard, as diagnosed by them over the phone. 3 days later I get someone from HP calling me saying it is not a warranty repair. I ask how come, since the laptop is less than 3 months old.

Silence .... then was told, you (meaning me) broke the motherboard. Im like WTF???? They claim the ribbon cable connector from the keyboard to the motherboard is broken. I told them oh no, it came that way, I have not even been inside this laptop yet.

Went round and round with several "managers" before they agreed, in "everyone's best interest" to discount the repair 30%. I couldn't prove they did it, they couldn't prove I did it. They did reinstate the remainder of the warranty once we paid to get it fixed.

Jump ahead two weeks, and yet another of the same model laptop dies. Again, they try to say we cracked the screen. Nope, sorry, not buying it. This one they fixed for free.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That is bad.

I'm also having quite a time getting HP to send me a new front cover with the correct configuration (the original one was scratched up when I got the computer back.) They send me the part listed but the issue is that the same part is used on a variety of models and doesn't contain the label stickers cover pieces specific to my model. They keep thinking that I flat out got a damaged part and keep sending the list part to me, so far I have three of them lol . . .
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    exampasser wrote: »
    Is OEM support always this bad lol?
    You'd trust the diagnosis of an end user which you have no idea about their technical skill level? You can't trust their claims of being technically inclined either.

All tech support can and will do is just follow the basic diagnostic steps and base their decisions on previous cases and known issues with that model.

Which part of the cable did you mess about with? The motherboard end, the middle or the end thats wired into the module on the case?
    I'm also having quite a time getting HP to send me a new front cover with the correct configuration (the original one was scratched up when I got the computer back.) They send me the part listed but the issue is that the same part is used on a variety of models and doesn't contain the label stickers cover pieces specific to my model. They keep thinking that I flat out got a damaged part and keep sending the list part to me, so far I have three of them lol . . .
    You need to find out the part number for the stickers...
    tiersten wrote: »
    You need to find out the part number for the stickers...

I have tried doing that without luck, they are not listed as a separate part on the parts list on my computer and I don't see a part number on the sticker itself anywhere.
    Which part of the cable did you mess about with? The motherboard end, the middle or the end thats wired into the module on the case?

The end that's wired into the module.
    I have tried doing that without luck, they are not listed as a separate part on the parts list on my computer and I don't see a part number on the sticker itself anywhere.
    All of the big manufacturers have part numbers for everything even down to the smallest item like stickers. You need to talk to them to find out what it is.

It may just be less hassle to just live with the missing stickers than to do that however. They'll have to trawl through the parts database to find it which may not be that easy.
    The end that's wired into the module.
    You tried disabling the jack detection in software if its got it?
    All of the big manufacturers have part numbers for everything even down to the smallest item like stickers. You need to talk to them to find out what it is.

It may just be less hassle to just live with the missing stickers than to do that however. They'll have to trawl through the parts database to find it which may not be that easy.

Your right about it starting to become more of a hassle than it is worth. For the missing cover pieces they do indeed have part numbers on them and I listed them to the rep but the rep could not find those numbers in their system. Anyways here is the parts list, perhaps somebody could catch something that I possibly missed:

http://h20141.www2.hp.com/Hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=CD72B3BAFA004246B7167C59B3531D92&SearchIn=Product

and just put in BK172AA for the product number.
    You tried disabling the jack detection in software if its got it?

I didn't see an option to disable jack detection.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think they are required to ask you to replace every other thing connected to it before they can even consider shipping something to them or you.

I had a computer monitor get a burned in image and I basicly told them everytime I turn the monitor on I see this image of my desktop. Even though my computer hasn't even been power on yet. They still have to ask a check list of questions or tell you it's probably something else.

After 3 different monitors failing I decided instead of spending $70 on shipping and having to wait 3-9 months just to get a monitor with a short lifespan, I'd buy a brand new one for $330 from another vendor.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Your right about it starting to become more of a hassle than it is worth. For the missing cover pieces they do indeed have part numbers on them and I listed them to the rep but the rep could not find those numbers in their system. Anyways here is the parts list, perhaps somebody could catch something that I possibly missed:

HP Parts Store - HP Computer Parts - HP Printer Parts - Compaq Parts

and just put in BK172AA for the product number.
    There are other labels (thats what HP calls them) on there for other devices but they don't appear to be orderable from HP. I can't find what the part number is for the labels you want though. The part number would be on the sheet that is discarded at the factory and its generic enough that its not listed as a specific part for your HP desktop.

You'll need to find somebody in tech support who has access to the parts database and knows how to search it properly or has knowledge of how these things are built so they can find the label sheets.
    There are other labels (thats what HP calls them) on there for other devices but they don't appear to be orderable from HP. I can't find what the part number is for the labels you want though. The part number would be on the sheet that is discarded at the factory and its generic enough that its not listed as a specific part for your HP desktop.

You'll need to find somebody in tech support who has access to the parts database and knows how to search it properly or has knowledge of how these things are built so they can find the label sheets.

I should be getting a call from a case manager soon, so maybe he will have access to the parts database.