QoS Scheduled

chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
My QoS exam has been schedule for this Thursday 2/4/11. My means of studying have been the cisco press book, CBT Nuggets, and moderate labbing. I wish I had more real world experience with it, but there is just not a need in the environment I work (high bandwidth, mostly switching) for anything complex. I'm currently using UCertify's QoS testing engine to help me prepare.

With this exam I will be happy if I pass, I'm not aiming for anything sky-high. I'll be shooting for the moon with CIPT2 and CVOICE and TVOICE, but QoS seems to have hit me on a blah point. Mainly because my modern high-speed networks, I don't see much of a point of it until you get to the service provider or some really cramped T1's. Regardless, I CAN configure it, even if I don't want to... I guess thats the point.

Wish me skill and competence ;) and a little bit of luck.

Update:

Passed with a 964! I did not see that score coming. I did much better than I thought I did. Two down, three to go!
Currently Pursuing
WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
mikej412 wrote:
Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.

Comments

• tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck man! I'm passing it this friday. Same study materials

I will do the CVOICE 8 exam instead of the CVOICE 6, because it include QoS.
    Will you try CIPT1 before the deadline?
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Will you try CIPT1 before the deadline?

Already did. Was a very enjoyable exam from my perspective, but I had real-world experience.

Fortunately I'm in a CUCM8.x environment now, so I may try and do CIPT2 this month as well to get it done without waiting for the new materials and just supplement it with real world experience.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
  • surfthegeckosurfthegecko Member Posts: 149
    Sounds like you have done a good amount of prep.
    Fortunately we use QoS at work for voice over our WAN links etc, but I dont normally get to play with this config as there are better people than myself. Hence why I wanted to take the course so I could learn and get more oppourtunity. This did however mean I could take config backups and walk through them and test myself this way.

I too watched the CBT Nugget Videos, I also read one of the Cisco Press Books, as well as went through the configs. I personally thought this was the easiest exam so far, and I have already taken CVOICE & CIPT1.

Im taking TUC this week, with CIPT2 next week, as I still havent seen a clearly defined document on ciscos site stating if the new CCNP Voice exams can be mixed with the CCVP exams after the 28th Feb to gain certificated.
    Didnt want to run the risk so as I only have two left I am basically cramming for 2 weeks solid (not my favoured approach as you never fully understand content when doing this). However if I pass I can then revist the areas I feel weak in and will commit to understanding further.

Im sure with the amount of study you have put in you will be fine.
    Best of Luck
    Nick
    Im taking TUC this week, with CIPT2 next week, as I still havent seen a clearly defined document on ciscos site stating if the new CCNP Voice exams can be mixed with the CCVP exams after the 28th Feb to gain certificated.
    Didnt want to run the risk so as I only have two left I am basically cramming for 2 weeks solid (not my favoured approach as you never fully understand content when doing this). However if I pass I can then revist the areas I feel weak in and will commit to understanding further.

I appreciate the good thoughts, but how have you not seen a defined document on cisco's site stating if you can mix/match? That is what 'or' means when they give you the choices: CCNP Voice (Formerly known as CCVP) - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems

Also if you look at the program requirements in your certification progress in your profile, you see them both as options. So yes, you can mix/match.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • surfthegeckosurfthegecko Member Posts: 149
    1. I've never logged in to look at my progress profile, I know which exams I have taken and which ones I want to take.
    2. It states CVOICE6 or CVOICE8 last day for cvoice6 is 28th Feb.
    Although it is clear that you can mix and match up until the 28th Feb, I couldnt see anywhere (in clear text) that stated you can then just take the new course and continue to blend them with v6 exams for the cert.
    3. I can see how it can be read both ways, and I myself at first thought it meant you could, but after several people at work thought you couldnt it seemed to be too unclear.

Anyway it doesnt really matter because if you can then great, but hopefully I will have compelted them all by then anyway.

EDIT: This wasnt supposed to be blunt, just in a hurry icon_smile.gif
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    chmorin wrote: »
    Wish me skill and competence ;) and a little bit of luck.
    Good Luck -- hopefully the test center PC won't crash and the exam won't freeze icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Good Luck -- hopefully the test center PC won't crash and the exam won't freeze icon_thumright.gif

hahah.. that actually happened to me as i selected and submitted my last question.. the pc froze but.. i called the site conductor and he was about to say "take it again" when he heard the printer ;)

phew. pc crash but not quick enough for it to print a passing grade!

Anyway it doesnt really matter because if you can then great, but hopefully I will have compelted them all by then anyway.

EDIT: This wasnt supposed to be blunt, just in a hurry icon_smile.gif

No worries, but it sort of does matter. From a standpoint of alot of people, that information does really matter. Imagine you are a test short some the last day to test those exams. Is Cisco is going to make you start from scratch? Hardly. Cisco, to my knowledge, has never EVER done it the way you describe. I also am not trying to be mean, but I don't want people to read through this and start to freak out AGAIN like they already do.

@ Mike

Yeah XD I drive a little further to get to a testing center I trust... for that reason exactly. I don't expect many Lab's in QoS anyway.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
    Alright well work had stuff come up so I ended up being out of town the last two days doing some repairs and remediation on a site. I just got back, so I rescheduled my exam for next Tuesday.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
    Today's the day. I'll be sure to update with if I passed or not. I'm not expecting flying colors. I have been configuring random QoS things the last few days so I'm certain I can configure it, but I'm not sure I cared enough about the material to actually know the nitty-gritty that I should. I'm just hoping for a pass, and then I can go prioritize voice across our network because I can.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Good Luck
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Looks like I passed the test with a 964, a much better score than I had anticipated. I honestly did not care for QoS that much. I found much of the subject mater to hard to really stick a pin to and say "This is why you need to do this" like I could in other situations. Some QoS things are really useful, but to the extent they went into, I just dont get it.

Unless I'm an ISP I suppose, I am only seeing it from the voice side of things after all. From an ISP perspective much in this exam is probably useful. To me... I was just happy to pass. Now I'm really happy, seeing my score =)

Celebration time!
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    chmorin wrote: »
    passed
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!