Holy Smokes my Intel build

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
So I am about to build my Ubuntu box for my Cisco studies and the build will be an Intel socket 1155.
I ordered all the parts from newegg on Saturday night; and this morning, Monday, I got the shipping confirmation from newegg. When I clicked the link to check the when I am going to receive the items, I did not see the CPU and the motherboard, but the rest were already shipped.
I was like WTH.
Tonight, I stumbled across some article that they have found some problems with Intel Sandy Bridge chipset Intel's Sandy Bridge chipset flaw: The fallout | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News

After reading that article, I was like WTH I just ordered it two days ago. I went to newegg right away and check what exactly they shipped to me. What they shipped are still the same no CPU and mobo. Therefore, I browsed there website and looked for socket 1155, and guess what, they removed all stuff related to socket 1155.

I am just wondering why I did not get any email from newegg about this problem. Or they did not send any email at all.

For those who owns Sandy Bridge already, how's the performance of your PC? Are you getting any problem with it or any type of issue?
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    judging by the article, it's not really an issue unless you're using the affected SATA ports. Good thing they caught it early, or it would have been a major blow
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was like this close to buying the processor when a colleague sent me a link to an article that said that there were issues with the chip's ability to speak with SATA devices. This is the link. I have a friend who's got this chip and he hasnt see any issues so far, he'd had it for a month or so. I am going to get the i5-760 instead, or maybe the i7-870 if I can find the money.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    judging by the article, it's not really an issue unless you're using the affected SATA ports. Good thing they caught it early, or it would have been a major blow
    Yes, but I don't want a faulty mobo. The mobo I bought was a cheap one which is H67 mobo, but it is still $104.99.
    And damn I rechecked my order's invoice, and now I have two tracking numbers.
    I think the 2nd tracking number is for the CPU and mobo. No wonder I did not an email about this because they did ship them.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    At least Intel are proactive about getting it fixed and are recalling the affected motherboards. Think how much pain it would if you'd received the motherboard and it was now in use?

Its not particularly fun but never buy the first release of something or if you really have to then at least wait a month or two. Let somebody else work out the horrific bugs/flaws for you and then you can swoop in when its nice and stable...

I'm waiting for X68 and the LGA2011 i7s to come out anyway. Until that happens, I'm fine with my X58+i7.
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    I was like this close to buying the processor when a colleague sent me a link to an article that said that there were issues with the chip's ability to speak with SATA devices. This is the link. I have a friend who's got this chip and he hasnt see any issues so far, he'd had it for a month or so. I am going to get the i5-760 instead, or maybe the i7-870 if I can find the money.

I think that's because he's only using two Sata devices becaus according to article it only affects ports from 2 to 5.
    How many Sandy Bridge chipsets shipped to date: 8 million

Wow, and it's gonna cost them 300 million $.
    za3bour wrote: »
    I think that's because he's only using two Sata devices becaus according to article it only affects ports from 2 to 5.
    The first two ports are SATA 3.0 which can run at up to 6Gbps. The remaining 4 ports which have the issue are SATA 2.0 which can run at up to 3Gbps. There must be some kind of overheating or design flaw in these secondary SATA 2.0 controllers that causes progressive damage and eventually causes you to be unable to use those ports.

I'd expect the majority of people to only ever use 2 ports anyway. 1 HD + 1 optical drive.
    za3bour wrote: »
    Wow, and it's gonna cost them 300 million $.
    Yup. Not cheap to recall manufactured boards and get them replaced. The PCH is a massive chip and I don't see how they'd be able to repair these boards reliably. If the fault is actually within the chip and can't be worked around then Intel are going to be junking a lot of boards and compensating the manufacturers.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    thehourman wrote: »
    Yes, but I don't want a faulty mobo. The mobo I bought was a cheap one which is H67 mobo, but it is still $104.99.
    And damn I rechecked my order's invoice, and now I have two tracking numbers.
    I think the 2nd tracking number is for the CPU and mobo. No wonder I did not an email about this because they did ship them.

Sure, but now you have a valid reason to RMA and get a replacement, or get a refund at no penalty. It's not like you're locked into it for life. And if you're only going to use the first to sata ports anyway, it may not even be worth the hassle to rma it, up to you.

It'd have been MUCH worse if they'd caught this in six months after the boards had been in massive deployment.
    It seems Samsung is offering refunds for it's PCs that are affected by this

Samsung Offers Refunds for PCs - WSJ.com
    Sure, but now you have a valid reason to RMA and get a replacement, or get a refund at no penalty. It's not like you're locked into it for life. And if you're only going to use the first to sata ports anyway, it may not even be worth the hassle to rma it, up to you.

It'd have been MUCH worse if they'd caught this in six months after the boards had been in massive deployment.
    That is true.
    The complain that I have is that I am on vacation 'til Friday and these extra days will be a waste because I purposely asked my manager, so that I can build and focus on my studies.

@tiersten
    Its not particularly fun but never buy the first release of something or if you really have to then at least wait a month or two. Let somebody else work out the horrific bugs/flaws for you and then you can swoop in when its nice and stable...

I'm waiting for X68 and the LGA2011 i7s to come out anyway. Until that happens, I'm fine with my X58+i7.
    I still have my X58 and that is my main desktop, I don't need the highend desktop for running Ubuntu/GNS3. The only reason I went to Sandy Bridge is because the performance and price wise. My first choice really was AMD Phenom. Buying stuff in the first month is always a pain, I even knew that Sandy Bridge has problem with Linux (graphics wise), but I am not going to play games on this box, so that is OK for me.

EDIT:
    Cr@p! It is out for delivery now. I am going to talk to newegg about this, after I edit this post.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    I chatted with newegg representative, her name is Rose, and she said that I can build it, and once the replacement becomes available, they will still replace my stuff. So I would say that is still a good deal. So far I have great customer experience with newegg, and this replacement will be another test for them.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    I even knew that Sandy Bridge has problem with Linux (graphics wise), but I am not going to play games on this box, so that is OK for me.
    Its the other way around. Existing Linux distributions didn't like Sandy Bridge because they didn't have the necessary driver to drive the integrated GPU for full hardware support. You can still use the basic VESA driver but you won't get any acceleration of even the most basic drawing primitives and support for other features may not work. That "problem" is getting fixed anyway as the various Linux distributions add the new driver.
    I chatted with newegg representative, her name is Rose, and she said that I can build it, and once the replacement becomes available, they will still replace my stuff. So I would say that is still a good deal. So far I have great customer experience with newegg, and this replacement will be another test for them.
    Thats fine if you're going to be running Linux on it. I wouldn't do that if it was running Windows as Windows Activation can freak out due to the motherboard change. I've had it happen a few times. Swapped a bad motherboard for another one of exactly the same model and it made me reactivate Windows.
    Alright I have built the thing; however, after battling with the PC for more than 2 hours, I figured it out the PSU just died on me.
    I can't believe that this is my second Corsair that died. I am going to MicroCenter tomorrow and get a new PSU then I am going to RMA this Corsair.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    Alright I have built the thing; however, after battling with the PC for more than 2 hours, I figured it out the PSU just died on me.
    Why? Whats it doing or not doing as the case may be?
    At first, I thought I had bent CPU pins, when I checked it the pins were fine. Then I tried a different memory, but the PC wouldn't post.

I tried my other PSU from my other build, and the Sandy Bridge worked fine, but when I used the new PSU, I get the same results, which was turned on for 1 sec then turned off.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    At first, I thought I had bent CPU pins, when I checked it the pins were fine.
    LGA! No more CPU pins. Check for bent motherboard pins instead ;)
    I tried my other PSU from my other build, and the Sandy Bridge worked fine, but when I used the new PSU, I get the same results, which was turned on for 1 sec then turned off.
    24 pin ATX12V connector, 8 pin EPS12V and the AUX12V all plugged in? You may not have the AUX12V.
    tiersten wrote: »
    LGA! No more CPU pins. Check for bent motherboard pins instead ;)

24 pin ATX12V connector, 8 pin EPS12V and the AUX12V all plugged in? You may not have the AUX12V.
    That was I meant, mobo pins.

I don't think newer mobos use AUX12V anymore. Even my 2005 desktop doesn't have that, I think (need to double check it.)

My mobo uses 4pin and 24pin connectors.

Anyways it works with a different PSU, so I am just going to return my 500w Corsair and get a new one tomorrow.
    Studying:
    Reading: