Results are in I passed CISSP

ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
So I sat for my exam 1/8/2011.

At 2:21pm today I received the following message from ISC^2:

"Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that you have passed the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP®) examination"

I feel so awesome! I felt great after the exam, but then as the days passed I thought I failed more and more....well not today!
CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA

Comments

• ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    Congratulations!!! How long did you study for it and how did you find the exam? Any pointers or study tips for those of us who are planning to take it in the future?

A cold beer is in order. Enjoy it man!
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    ipchain wrote: »
    Congratulations!!! How long did you study for it and how did you find the exam? Any pointers or study tips for those of us who are planning to take it in the future?

A cold beer is in order. Enjoy it man!

Thanks ipchain, here is some information about my exam experience.

The exam took me 5 hours and 30mins to complete. I took the exam 3 times in the booklet before transferring them the scan-tron and reviewing one final time.

I paced myself and took small breaks every 50questions, or as needed. I was clear to underline words in the question that I thought were important to allow them to stand out.

I used the following to prepare over a 2 month period.
    PrepLogic Course/Practice Test good, but video course left a lot of holes.
    Carnegie Mellon CERT video course / Practice Exam - Very useful
    All-in-one Exam Guide 5th edition by Shon Harris
    11th hour study guide by Eric Conrad (very good)
    40% of Shon Harris's video course
    CCCure.org practice exams (took a handful of the free questions)

All in all I feel PrepLogic's tests were very helpful. I was able to just focus in on my weak domains and test on them.

• rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats! I'm scheduled to take it on March 19th
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
    rwmidl wrote: »
    Congrats! I'm scheduled to take it on March 19th

Good luck on your exam. I am sure based on your current level of certification you'll knock it out of the park.

• rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ibcritn wrote: »
    Good luck on your exam. I am sure based on your current level of certification you'll knock it out of the park.

I'm in to week 2 of studying. Last week I was in a training class (see my previous post on it). Right now I'm reading the Harris AIO 5th edition - I've completed the chapters on Information/Risk Mgmt and Access Controls. I've had a harder time with the IRM section just because it's more "new" to me. I'm so far doing 1 chapter every two days (about an hour reading at night) and during the day I'm doing practice questions from Transcender and the AIO cd. My goal is complete the AIO by mid Feb then the last 20-25 days be doing practice questions only. Hopefully that will get to where I should be.

If you have any ideas/stratagies let me know.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
    rwmidl wrote: »
    I'm in to week 2 of studying. Last week I was in a training class (see my previous post on it). Right now I'm reading the Harris AIO 5th edition - I've completed the chapters on Information/Risk Mgmt and Access Controls. I've had a harder time with the IRM section just because it's more "new" to me. I'm so far doing 1 chapter every two days (about an hour reading at night) and during the day I'm doing practice questions from Transcender and the AIO cd. My goal is complete the AIO by mid Feb then the last 20-25 days be doing practice questions only. Hopefully that will get to where I should be.

If you have any ideas/stratagies let me know.

My suggestion is once you have completed your final studies and you are taking practice exams to tackle just your weak points. (take entire tests just on your weak domains)

The last few days before the exam I just focused on my weak areas. I would also identify some areas that you plan on committing to short term memory.

Make as many mnemonics as possible. I did really stupid stuff like RTR resource tuple record....stuff that really doesn't make too much sense, but it worked for me.

Lastly, practice taking 300 questions at once...even though its 250 questions push it up, so the actual exam you aren't shocked by the length.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Member Posts: 0 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TrainingDazeTrainingDaze Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations bud! hard work pays off and I'm glad they didn't take 6+ weeks to get back to you about your results.

I echo your sentiments about both Conrad study guides for CISSP, they were top notch. icon_cool.gif
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Congratulations on passing the CISSP exam! icon_cheers.gif
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Congrats, and yes you are very awesome!
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the pass. What cert are you going after next?
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So I sat for my exam 1/8/2011.

At 2:21pm today I received the following message from ISC^2:

"Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that you have passed the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP®) examination"

I feel so awesome! I felt great after the exam, but then as the days passed I thought I failed more and more....well not today!

Congrats man!!!!
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thank you everyone!

azjag wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass. What cert are you going after next?

GCIH and CCNA.

CCNA has been a lingering cert that I studied and even sat for the exam, but the test crashed on Q40 of 50.
    I am taking SEC 504 on .mp3 and reviewing CCNA concepts, so I will take CCNA when I feel comfortable.

For me GCIH is very enjoyable as Hacking is my passion, so studying for these two certs at the same time isn't too bad.

• newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    Congrats on your achievement.
  • pugsleyahpugsleyah Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats - a few cold ones are in order

I took my exam on 1/22 in Reston (impatiently awaiting the results)
  • ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    Thanks ipchain, here is some information about my exam experience.

The exam took me 5 hours and 30mins to complete. I took the exam 3 times in the booklet before transferring them the scan-tron and reviewing one final time.

I paced myself and took small breaks every 50questions, or as needed. I was clear to underline words in the question that I thought were important to allow them to stand out.

I used the following to prepare over a 2 month period.
    PrepLogic Course/Practice Test good, but video course left a lot of holes.
    Carnegie Mellon CERT video course / Practice Exam - Very useful
    All-in-one Exam Guide 5th edition by Shon Harris
    11th hour study guide by Eric Conrad (very good)
    40% of Shon Harris's video course
    CCCure.org practice exams (took a handful of the free questions)

All in all I feel PrepLogic's tests were very helpful. I was able to just focus in on my weak domains and test on them.

Thank you for sharing your experience; it is greatly appreciated. While I am months away from taking this exam, I am sure your insight will be very useful once I am ready to cross this bridge.

Once again, congratulations and keep up the good work!
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.
    pugsleyah wrote: »
    Congrats - a few cold ones are in order

I took my exam on 1/22 in Reston (impatiently awaiting the results)

The wait is killer man I know. I hope you get shocked randomly with an email saying you passed.

I know I kept getting advertisement emails from ISC2 and that drove me nuts! To the point where I was about to leave work and as I was walking out and was able to power on my phone I was shocked to see the pass :)

Now the added paper work for the Endorsement is rather annoying ><.....I suppose its part of the reason the CISSP is the CISSP.

I really should have posted this sooner, but I found JDMurray's advice in this post VERY helpful....specifically when it came to test taking tips which I followed 100%.

The CISSP Certification Experience: My Study Plan | TechExams.net Blogs

The wait is killer man I know. I hope you get shocked randomly with an email saying you passed.

I know I kept getting advertisement emails from ISC2 and that drove me nuts! To the point where I was about to leave work and as I was walking out and was able to power on my phone I was shocked to see the pass :)

Now the added paper work for the Endorsement is rather annoying ><.....I suppose its part of the reason the CISSP is the CISSP.
    Funny you mentioned that - I got one yesterday on my phone (Droid 2) and from the list all you could see is "(ISC)2 Certifications and Sel.." I clicked it and ... an ad for CISSP training docs ...

Oh well - it's day 11, I don't expect anything for awhile
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the pass! I sent you a PM about something I am curious of.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Member Posts: 0 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    sabooher wrote: »
    Hopefully they're moving faster at a snails pace grading exams and endorsements. My exam....grade took 39 days, endorsement another 26.

Wow, yea I got my exam results in 19 days...just over 2 weeks.

I suspect my endorsement will take longer because I am having ISC do the sponsor.

Just got the email - I passed!

1/22 (Reston, VA) ==> 2/03 @ 1657

Fastest results I've ever even heard of - I was fully prepared for the 6 weeks!
    Just got the email - I passed!

1/22 (Reston, VA) ==> 2/03 @ 1657

Fastest results I've ever even heard of - I was fully prepared for the 6 weeks!
    Congratulations on passing the CISSP exam! icon_cheers.gif

And yes, that is a very fast turnaround.
  • tnhattnhat Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Funny you mentioned that - I got one yesterday on my phone (Droid 2) and from the list all you could see is "(ISC)2 Certifications and Sel.." I clicked it and ... an ad for CISSP training docs ...

Oh well - it's day 11, I don't expect anything for awhile

OK, those ISC2 emails that you get while waiting on the Congratulations conformation is that a sign that a person has passed? If so, maybe that will give all of us waiting on results some positive relief?
    tnhat wrote: »
    OK, those ISC2 emails that you get while waiting on the Congratulations conformation is that a sign that a person has passed? If so, maybe that will give all of us waiting on results some positive relief?

I did notice a large amount of "other" emails coming from ISC2 while waiting for results. But the volume in no way correlates with a pass/fail. Some marketer knows that you will be paying close attention to anything from ISC2 while waiting for results. Just my opinion ;)
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    Some marketer knows that you will be paying close attention to anything from ISC2 while waiting for results. Just my opinion ;)
    That could very well be a factor in their marketing strategy.

Do the marketing emails seem to taper off once the exam results are received? Mine sure show no signs of slowing down. icon_lol.gif
    Mine tapered off a little after receiving notification. I went from 1 email every other day to 1 a week. They also tweaked the email policy and opt-out options on the website around the same time. That may have been a contributing factor.
    Currently Studying:
  • tnhattnhat Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mine tapered off a little after receiving notification. I went from 1 email every other day to 1 a week. They also tweaked the email policy and opt-out options on the website around the same time. That may have been a contributing factor.

Wow, now I am back on pins and needles! However, I want to thank all of you for your posts. This is a really cool site with good information. Also, I plan to contribute when I get my credentials.