My CCNA Voice Lab

Hello Guys,

I am going to start my CCNA-Voice lab and this is the equipment that I currently have. I want you guys to review it and let me know what I need or dont need. I don't know much about modules and that sort so guidance is really appreciated.

2 cisco 3550: 24 port fast ethernet, 2 x GBIC slots
IOS: c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-44.SE6
Dram: 64mb Flash: 16mb

1 cisco 3500 xl: 24 port fast ethernet, 2 x GBIC slots
IOS: c3500xl-c3h2s-tar.120-5.WC17
Dram: 8mb Flash: 4mb

1 Cisco 2611XM Router (I will put latest 12.4 on there)

1 Cisco 2620 Router

2 Cisco Pix-515E (I know maybe these have nothing to do with voice but I will use them later on for self-study)

Comments

• ptlinvaptlinva Member Posts: 125
    If one of your switches does PoE, that would be awesome.

Basically, a few phones and you can start making things ring! :)

Of course, having some FXS/FXO ports would be nice. I picked up a 1760 and works great with the voice cards.

Good Luck in your studies and I look forward to studying with you as I'm hoping to take the IIUC test before it expires in a few weeks.
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I did my IIUC on a pair of 2610XMs. Get the right IOS, the right CME. Get an NM with DSP's and an FXO and/or FXS card. Get some phones - 7940's or better and PoE switch if possible. Get Cisco IP Communicator because its handy for lab work.

Your 515E's will work well for security study if you can max out the RAM and put ASA 7 or later on there. The 6.x versions are signifacntly different and too old for exams.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I actually only had one CME functioning device. But with the cunning use of GNS3 you can have discontinuous voice networks with CIPC's and practice dial peers and many other cools. The switches are a must, and PoE is a MAJOR plus, probably needed (the investment in the switches PoE is much less when compared to buying your phones Bricks, if you have more than one phone).
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    i not a expert but why the switches must have poe for voice???
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    gouki2005 wrote: »
    i not a expert but why the switches must have poe for voice???

I just told yah ;)
    The switches are a must, and PoE is a MAJOR plus, probably needed (the investment in the switches PoE is much less when compared to buying your phones Bricks, if you have more than one phone).
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    chmorin wrote: »
    I just told yah ;)
    ohh i see thx
  • Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
    Ok so what confuses me are the cards that I need to get and the CME software and all the software. How does all that work? Also is this software installed on a server? my regular laptop and what not. Switches are not POE but I have all the power bricks for the phones... one 7960 and one 7940. Guidance on cards and what they are for and also is this cert expiring? I dont want to start studying for something thats going to expire... so how long do i have?
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Darian929 wrote: »
    Ok so what confuses me are the cards that I need to get and the CME software and all the software. How does all that work?

The cards you'll typical need are VIC-2FXS and the VIC-2FXO. During the course of your studies, you'll learn how they work. If you have some extra cash, you can also throw in a VWIC-1MFT (T1/E1).
    Also is this software installed on a server? my regular laptop and what not.
    The CME software will be installed on your router. You'll need a specific IOS with CME feature set built-in.
    is this cert expiring? I dont want to start studying for something thats going to expire... so how long do i have?
    This certification will change on 1 March 2011. The last day to test is Feb 28, 2011. Here's a link with some information.

HTH

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey dude,

Which route are you going for your CCNA:V? I did IIUC and IIUC2.

I am a little more interested in your training materials than so much your lab. CBTnuggets? Official book? etc? The materials you use will cover the types of equipment you'll need.

I used a
    1x 1760 with FXO and FXS cards.
    1x 2921xm
    1x 2924 switch
    2x $20 Cisco Voip phones (with power bricks)
    1 x softphone
    Packet tracer

If I could do it over? I probably would not change much
    1 x 1760 with FXO/FXS
    1 x 2921xm
    2 x 7940s
    1 x 3550 with POE
    softphones
    -Daniel
  • Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
    so the new one and the valid one is 640-461 ICOMM v8.0 . correct? so i know what books to get.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    so the new one and the valid one is 640-461 ICOMM v8.0 . correct? so i know what books to get.

The new test beginning on March 1st, 2011, is the 640-461 ICOMM v8.0. The current test until Feb 28, 2011, is the 640-460 IIUC.

HTH

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker