Need some advice_ Security+ or VCP4

CertzCertz Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Dudes,
I just finished passing my Net+ and have a bit of a situation that I would like to bounce off of you. It's multiple choice advice and all answers are corrct. Keep in mind when answering that I'm unemployed trying to find work as well. Although, I have a good amount of time to study.

Ok, So I just passed net+ and I can see by looking at one of the sec+ books that the Net+ kind of sets you up for the Sec+.

Here's the dilemma I have 1 month and 3 days before I start a class that meets on Saturdays only for 8 weeks and it is the required class for the VMware vSphere: Install, Config, & Manage. This will meet the requirements of the VCP4 other than taking the test.

Ok so the question is do I dare to try and pass the Security+ before I start the VCP4 or do I just skip over the Security+ all together and forget it or come back to it at a later date and have to study alot more pass it if it is truly a cert worth having $ or knowledge wise.

I have got my VCP4 lab server almost built. I have very little to no experience with VMware so I don't know if I had better get my book early for the VCP class and start in on it so that I'm ready for the class or jump to Sec+.

Does any of this make any sense? Can I pass the Security + in 4 weeks? Or do I prepare for VCP4? Is it possible to do both at the same time and not explode? It took me 3 weeks to study and pass Net+.
Any help would be most appreciated. Oh also so you will know I have about 10 years general networking experience.

Thanks!

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Certz wrote: »
    Can I pass the Security + in 4 weeks? Or do I prepare for VCP4?
    The Security+ is a good cert to have, but you can do that anytime.

Spend the next four week preparing for your VCP4 class. If you do not have a lot of hands-on experience where you work with vSphere on a daily basis, you will need pre-class preparation. Try to have read the entire vSphere book at least once, and get your lab running well enough to run the exercises. You'll be way ahead of all of your classmates who mistakenly think the class will teach them everything they need to know to pass the VCP4 exam.

How long it will take you to prepare for any exam is a question only you can answer. It's based primarily on the knowledge and experience you already have accumulated, and how well you understand what your most productive study habits are.
  • CertzCertz Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks J.D. I appreciate the feedback!
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would focus on the class as well, it's an excellent opportunitiy to learn something that's not easy. Sec+ is doable at any time and it doesn't need a lab. Good Luck
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I concur with paving the way for the VCP. Security+ is a relatively easy and entry level cert that you can easily attain at any time. VCP is no kid's game and you will be better up getting to know the platform before the class starts.
    Thanks! to the Senior Members for your input as well. I respect your opinions
    and you stopped me in my tracks. I think I was really thinking in my head I could do both Sec+ and VCP4 but I think you're right. I'm getting the last remaining server hardware tomorrow to start building my server. I'm going to start with the ESXi installation. I downloaded the ESXi Installable and vCenter Server Setup Guide from VMware website docs.

and again thanks J.D. !

Any additional ideas about how best to get the server setup beforehand would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    and again thanks J.D. !
    You're welcome! :D
    Any additional ideas about how best to get the server setup beforehand would be appreciated.
    Make sure you use a computer that on the Hardware Compatibility List for ESXi 4.1. After you install ESXi, apply all of the available updates. If you don't have a second machine to run vSphere Server, you can run it on a VM on ESXi, but it's best to learn with it on a different machine.

And this blog article might be helpful: ‘”Please Sir, May I Have Some More Virtual Days?” | TechExams.net Blogs
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What hardware do you have? To recreate the ICM lab, you need three machines: two to run ESX or ESXi, and one for shared storage. For the storage box, I recommended Openfiler, which is easy to use and lets you create iSCSI LUNs as well as NFS shares.

There are many great free resources out there to help you get started, but one I particularly like is Mike Laverick's free vSphere videos:
    http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk/vmware-content/vsphere-videosdemos/
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    MentholMoose,
    I've got an Intel ECS 64 bit board g33t-M2 with if I remember right an E6600 processor when the bios is updated works with VMware. If this does not work I'm moving to AMD. I have 4gig memory and will be getting another 4gig today.My board can only handle 8 gig. I have a 1 terabyte hard drive and had planned on setting up an Esxi and then running vSphere Server as a VM which is exactly what J.D. Murray suggested today. The problem is I'm unemployed right now although, I had an interview yesterday and have another today with a different company but that I am trying to keep costs down. I figure the reason for multi-machines keeps the confusion down and is more realistic but I don't know if it is affordable. I have one other machine but it is not virtual or 64bit.

Question: Is there any need to run a raid setup like raid5? I know one hard drive is really shallow but I have a pretty good grasp of raid, but then again this is a whole need universe for me.

Oh and thanks for the website link! Wow! It has a huge amount of gems and trinkets to explore.
    J.D.,
    That blog info is great. thanks! Now I've got to purchase the rest of my ram and I'm ready to go. I'm picking it up today. Since I don't have a second machine I will be doing the vSphere server as a VM. If I get funds later I will migrate in a separate machine.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I figure the reason for multi-machines keeps the confusion down and is more realistic but I don't know if it is affordable. I have one other machine but it is not virtual or 64bit.
    It is fine to have vCenter running in a VM. The main reason for multiple hosts and shared/network storage is that many features require it. You can configure features that require multiple hosts with a single host, but you won't be able to test them, troubleshoot where you went wrong, or see them in action. Also, without network storage you won't be able to do many of the labs.

That link I provided has a video about virtualizing ESX/ESXi, and with 8GB RAM I think this is an option. Install Windows XP, install VMware Workstation, and create two ESXi VMs, an OpenFiler VM, and a Windows VM with vCenter. You can create a few nested VMs on those ESXi VMs. With this you can experience most of the functionality lost by only having one host.

If that sounds too complicated, you could continue as planned, but use the other machine to run OpenFiler, so at least you can do the labs requiring network storage.
    Question: Is there any need to run a raid setup like raid5? I know one hard drive is really shallow but I have a pretty good grasp of raid, but then again this is a whole need universe for me.
    It shouldn't really be necessary.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV