Getting back into the game

odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
I had an interesting meeting with a staffing recuitor on Friday. I was pretty much told I needed to make a lateral move in order to get to the next level.

In 2009 I was part of a lay off, at that time I was doing system administration. For the next year I finished my MBA and I picked up a contract desktop support job. That contract ended up going perm. There is no room to grow at the location I am. We are a MSP and our contract is only for desktop support.

I want to go back to doing higher level work. I am tired of removing viruses and imaging and setting up new hire equipment. Its not tough work, just not challenging enough for me.

I am working on CCNA and hope to have it by June\July. I seem to enjoy the cisco stuff more than anything else I have studied.

So back to the recuitor, I was told if I wanted to get back to doing system admin or networking I'm going to need to get with a company I can grow with. He stated " you are applying for jobs with guys who are currently still doing the admin role, and you have not used those skills since 2009." I feel like I am getting penalized for trying to make a living and stayed working, even at a lesser role.

He presented a company doing the same role as I am doing. It would pay 50k, so its a good jump in pay for me. They have other IT departments so there is a chance to move up within the company.

What is everyone's thoughts, suggestions?
Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Go for the lateral move. It couldn't hurt. Plus you may have a chance to advance at your new company.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I had an interesting meeting with a staffing recuitor on Friday. I was pretty much told I needed to make a lateral move in order to get to the next level.

In 2009 I was part of a lay off, at that time I was doing system administration. For the next year I finished my MBA and I picked up a contract desktop support job. That contract ended up going perm. There is no room to grow at the location I am. We are a MSP and our contract is only for desktop support.

I want to go back to doing higher level work. I am tired of removing viruses and imaging and setting up new hire equipment. Its not tough work, just not challenging enough for me.

I am working on CCNA and hope to have it by June\July. I seem to enjoy the cisco stuff more than anything else I have studied.

So back to the recuitor, I was told if I wanted to get back to doing system admin or networking I'm going to need to get with a company I can grow with. He stated " you are applying for jobs with guys who are currently still doing the admin role, and you have not used those skills since 2009." I feel like I am getting penalized for trying to make a living and stayed working, even at a lesser role.

He presented a company doing the same role as I am doing. It would pay 50k, so its a good jump in pay for me. They have other IT departments so there is a chance to move up within the company.

What is everyone's thoughts, suggestions?

Do you have an MBA? At the very least you have a Masters degree according to your signature and various certifications. You need to be pushing for management openings or at the very least supervisory. You have hands on experience so I would worry less about getting back into server admin and expend energies trying to get into a management or project based/design role. Leverage the education you have.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Turgon wrote: »
    Do you have an MBA? At the very least you have a Masters degree according to your signature and various certifications. You need to be pushing for management openings or at the very least supervisory. You have hands on experience so I would worry less about getting back into server admin and expend energies trying to get into a management or project based/design role. Leverage the education you have.

+1

you have excellent qualifications, what you need is an immediate career change, few yrs of hands-on higher-level work and then go straight to management or projects/design roles!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE